• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ultrasonic Cleaning of Trumpet Valves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radman63

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Ultrasonic Cleaning of Trumpet Valves Reply with quote

I read that it's a very bad idea to polish or buff trumpet valves, because it removes material and decreases "compression". Is it bad to put valves in an ultrasonic cleaner? Does it remove material like buffing and polishing does, or is it a safe way to clean trumpet valves?

I use a special aircraft cleaner made by Simple Green in my ultrasonic cleaner. It's supposedly a very high-quality cleaner that is not supposed to hurt metal or plastic. Here's what I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00629W5VU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. What do you think?
52 Olds Studio
55, 56 Conn Coprion Director
56 Selmer Model 25
60 Buescher Super Aristocrat
62 York National
76 Blessing XL
Holton ST-550 MF
Getzen Super DLX
Conn Connquest
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrasonic cleaning the valves should be fine. The only "problem" with ultrasonic cleaning is that it might pop off red rot spots and turn them into small holes, but that would typically affect the slides and mouthpipe, not the valves.
Soapy water and a soft brush is never wrong. Don't forget the inside of the valve casings. You get special brushes for that. Just don't insert anything metal that can scratch the surfaces.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:
Ultrasonic cleaning the valves should be fine. The only "problem" with ultrasonic cleaning is that it might pop off red rot spots and turn them into small holes, but that would typically affect the slides and mouthpipe, not the valves.
Soapy water and a soft brush is never wrong. Don't forget the inside of the valve casings. You get special brushes for that. Just don't insert anything metal that can scratch the surfaces.

Even more important is to clean the horizontal connecting tubes and crook receivers between the valves. Crud ends up collecting there and then migrates back to the valves.
radman63

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:

Understood. It's like sandblasting a rusty car. If the metal is too rusty and weak, you can blow right through. Maybe that's a good thing. As you said, that should not happen with valves, BUT, I tried it on one set of valves that had some wear, and it did seem to "pop-off" some of the plating, but I think it was already lifting/separating in that spot. I just wanted to make sure this process would not damage healthy valves.

I also start the cleaning process with soapy water and brushes meant for cleaning trumpets. I just want to see what additional benefit I can receive by ultrasonic cleaning after the soapy bath, and before any additional polishing of the exterior. Maybe I won't gain much by ultrasonic cleaning if I'm already cleaning and brushing out with soapy water? Thanks.
52 Olds Studio
56 Selmer Model 25
62 York National
76 Blessing XL
Holton ST-550 MF
Getzen Super DLX
Conn Connquest
radman63

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Even more important is to clean the horizontal connecting tubes and crook receivers between the valves. Crud ends up collecting there and then migrates back to the valves.

I'll keep that in mind while I give them a soapy bath with the applicable brushes. Thanks.
52 Olds Studio
56 Selmer Model 25
62 York National
76 Blessing XL
Holton ST-550 MF
Getzen Super DLX
Conn Connquest

Last edited by radman63 on Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrasonic cleaning can be risky with a rotted leadpipe. I'd avoid using it on any horn that's really old. It's also not great at removing corrosion, which is what acid cleaning, done properly, will do with corroded valve ports.

Ultrasonic is really good at removing grease, that's what it was first used for in the jewelry industry.
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: