• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Struggling with intonation on D and E, advice is appreciated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WinxonN44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Struggling with intonation on D and E, advice is appreciated Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I was hoping if anyone could give me advice on tuning my D and E in the staff. When I first got my new horn(a Yamaha 8335S Gen 2), D and E were normal, but recently I noticed that D was about 20-30 cents flat, and E about the same or a little more. The temperature I usually play at is normal too, 70ish, and when playing D with 1&3 instead of 1, it is pretty much in tune, so is E with 1&2. However the tonality and sound is a lot sharper and widely different on those 2 notes so my band director has asked me to play on 1 for d and 12 for E. I have worked on it hard for the past 4-5 days, and I can play both in tune during long tones, but when articulating the notes, they fall flat. I have tried adjusting my embouchure, opening my oral cavity, tongue, air support. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice on exercises or if I'm doing something wrong, TY!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important question is whether your ENSEMBLE playing is in-tune, not 'playing for the tuner'.

Good players 'automatically' make embouchure tuning adjustments as they play (and use slides when needed). That automatic adjustment comes from listening to the overall ensemble and internal 'hearing' (imagination) of the good pitch for their notes.

Tech details -
The pitches and tuning of an electronic tuner are specifically for PIANO tuning (equal temperament), and that is different than how wind ensembles actually play (usually 'JUST' temperament). Use the tuner as a guide, not as the determiner of correctness.

I find it useful to slowly play and listen to major scales (C, F, Bb, Eb, G, D, A) and try to play them so all the intervals sound correct and the tone of every note is good.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a neat little Eb trumpet with similar issues. My repairman found a burr in the main slide and removed it, solving the problem.

You may have something in your tubing, or an issue with mouthpiece gap or a damaged mouthpiece shank. A similar problem would be a dent in the horn, or a piston that may be mis-aligned.

Basically, you know something is different, and everything affects everything. Of course there is also the possibility of changes in your playing. Start by thinking of what has changed, no matter how benign it may seem.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask a friend who is a decent player try your horn and have that player work on those flat notes.

If they aren't flat for that player, the issue is with you.

If those notes are flat for that player or anyone else who tries the horn, take it to a tech and have the tech look for a problem.

R. Tomasek
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instrument won’t find the pitch for you. You have to do that yourself.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D and E at the top of the staff are both a slightly flat on my ‘76 Bach ML 43. Over the years, I just learned to lip them up and now it comes naturally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: