• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recordings/video that show off what Claude could do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Recordings/video that show off what Claude could do? Reply with quote

I have one of his albums "Jazz For Jean Agers" and have listened to other studio recordings of his and live performances on YouTube.

Clearly he had a full, brassy sound, solid intonation and was accurate - very few split notes.

I've never heard him demonstrate any particularly outstanding range which I find surprising given that his SA is largely touted as a range-building method. His double-tongued passages and brief flashy runs seem to follow a template. They're clean but also repetitive. I haven't heard any real *Wow* demonstrations ala Mendez or Al Hirt or something like Flight of the Bumblebee, Herbert L. Clarke solos or Harry James tearing up "Concerto For Trumpet".

Are there any recordings of him playing big double Cs in a performance circumstance? I've seen that short video of him squeezing through the partials and briefly touching on a wispy double C but I mean a big meaty dub C in performance.

I find that people tend to show off what they can do - are there recordings you can recommend that showcase more of his ability than I might be aware of?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few videos of Claude and his band on youtube. Think one of them is from Bandstand.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I read an article about Claude, it was a synopsis of his achievements; I'm sorry I can't recall where I read it. I DO recall that the article referred to him as something like, 'The Man That Never Missed a Note'... It went on and described his amazing consistency as a musician. The emphasis wasn't on his range or 'tricks'; but his dependability and overall quality.

With the recent passing of Eric Bolvin (Eric, RIP), I recall Eric's description of his student time with Claude. I think Eric was forthright in acknowledging that most of the basis of his material came from his time with Claude, and it is simply fantastic, solid stuff.

To me range is way, way overrated. I imagine Claude had good range, but to me it's much more impressive if he could successfully run through a score in his first effort than if he could blow Double High C's all day.

I must admit I appreciate a solid Double High C as much as the next guy, but to me overall consistent quality is much more important, and from the article I mentioned earlier, this was one of Claude's great claims to fame.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that the reason he played no extreme pyrotechnics was because he was concerned with musicianship and not who had the biggest wang on the block?

I am so sick of hearing about "Hey Jude" as being the epitome of trumpet/music playing. (Runs ducking and covering out out the room.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

I am so sick of hearing about "Hey Jude" as being the epitome of trumpet/music playing.

Hey Jude? Everyone knows it's Clyde McCoy's Sugar Blues.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

I am so sick of hearing about "Hey Jude" as being the epitome of trumpet/music playing.

LOL
And you know I'm not talking about you, right, Robert?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Everybody have fun tonigyt - Wang Chung
🤷‍♂️ kinda big
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ9NQqWSsBP9ycAbICz2vTx8QSkB3KN9I

The above should be a playlist.

Conrad Gozzo isn't on a recording playing to a Double C and neither is Herbert L. Clarke even though those two guys could play to DHC and Triple High C. Clarke didn't think anything above High F sounded great even though you see a fingering chart to DHC at the end of his Elementary Studies book.

I think what you can hear is that Clauce played pretty effortlessly to a High F on his recording of Stormy Weather..

I personally heard Claude do that demo to DHC in 1984 and what's not always explained is that video was done WEEKS after quadruple heart bypass surgery. When. he did that in 1984 his doctor and surgeon got very upset with Claude because we were way in the mountains and far from a hospital.

Anyone can learn to play a DHC. Anyone! It's just another skill we need when called on every so often. Some people make that as the biggest thing that matters.

Listen to the above playlist and get a bigger picture of what Claude was about. He was all about people gaining skills and then playing any kind of music they wanted to play. He detested rock music but thought it was cool that many of his students were successful with that genre.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Robert P wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

LOL
And you know I'm not talking about you, right, Robert?

Nah, never occurred to me that you were since I've never promoted such a notion. Assuming of course you're referring to Maynard's take on it, while it's a neat chart it wouldn't be the chart I'd suggest as a prime example of what Maynard could do - "Maynard Ferguson" would be at the top of my short list. I've heard some strong players attempt it some with better results than others but I have yet to hear a rendition that I thought was the equal of Maynard's. I don't think there is *is* a single pinnacle of trumpet playing but imo Maynard Ferguson would be one of them - blows my mind that he performed that as just part of a demanding concert doing lots of other playing that basically no one else could do and I'm sure did it multiple nights per week.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ9NQqWSsBP9ycAbICz2vTx8QSkB3KN9I

The above should be a playlist.

Thanks for sharing - Claude doing some solid playing!

I'd never heard of Mike Paulson - assuming he's the one doing the Maynard part on Give It One he's a beast of a player! Is he mostly a studio guy? I don't find other examples of his playing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike was a longtime Claude Gordon student and his brother. Mike played that solo twice a day six days a week in Vegas. Mike is now recovering from a stroke. He’s on the 1977 presentation on my site. Plays open equipment and you can hear very effortless and of course has high notes.

https://www.purtle.com/give-it-one-mike-paulson-lido-de-paris

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: