• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinions pls Olds Recording or Mendez or Super vs Special

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
I'm very sorry to stray from the worthy topic, but why do some of you address statements to individuals like the above quote, using "@"? Like, "@Santa Claus, please bring me a Super Recording."
I keep seeing it and I don't know it's meaning.

It is a convention of the computer age. It denotes a specific party for whom the next part of a message is intended. In your example, it means, "Santa Claus, what follows is meant for you specifically, or is in reply to something you specifically wrote."

It came into practice because it triggers certain actions in various software packages. For example, in Microsoft Outlook, an "@" before a userid in a message body causes the userid to appear in boldface type, and also automatically adds it to the list of recipients in the "To:" field.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a bit of an Olds fanboy for a long time. I have the Olds cornets in the Ambassador, Special (nickel/Bronze bell), Studio, Super, Recording, and Super Recording, and have played the Opera quite a bit. I presently have the Olds trumpets in the Super (47), Super Recording (47), Recording (5 and a couple of Mendez (54, 5&). I also had an Early Fullerton Special (yellow brass bell) trumpet for about 10 years. I pretty much agree with all the comments so far. I do prefer the yellow brass bell on the Special trumpet for a light clear trumpet tone, but have used the Special cornet with nickel/bronze bell for concert band situations.

I don't really know the OP's needs or preferences, but I could see grabbing a really nice brass bell Special for general playing, and for a first Olds. But remember, those great horns got played a lot, so be careful about valves, especially. On the plus side, Olds trumpet valves pretty well interchange, except for the Recordings, Pintos, and Super Stars. Olds Cornet valves don't fit trumpets, either.

I recently let a good friend who is a really fine jazz player take my Super and best Mendez for a month. He really liked the Super, and while he said a lot of great things about the Mendez, he said that with the Mendez, the horn dictates how it is going to play. He felt if he spent aclot more time with it, it would be great, but as a jazz player, it was "stiff". Also, he had tried the Super Recording and Recording but just couldn't avoid busting his chops due to the balanced wrap coming back so far. My experience with the Studio is that it is one of the easiest responding (hence the name) horns to play. Every model line of the Olds trumpets filled a niche. They were not just gimmicky.

I remember reading that someone did an acoustic analysis on f a number of models, and the Super had the most complex overtone series, which gives it that great jazz tone. Any of these Olds models would be great. I even notice a lot of Ambassadors making a living, I ver 50 to 70 years after they were made!!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
I have been a bit of an Olds fanboy for a long time.

+1

They are wonderful players, and beautifully made. I have a Standard trumpet with the optional hammered bell, a Super Recording trumpet, and a Clark Terry flugelhorn.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
huntman10 wrote:
I have been a bit of an Olds fanboy for a long time.

+1

They are wonderful players, and beautifully made.

+2.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
tptptp wrote:
I'm very sorry to stray from the worthy topic, but why do some of you address statements to individuals like the above quote, using "@"? Like, "@Santa Claus, please bring me a Super Recording."
I keep seeing it and I don't know it's meaning.

It is a convention of the computer age. It denotes a specific party for whom the next part of a message is intended. In your example, it means, "Santa Claus, what follows is meant for you specifically, or is in reply to something you specifically wrote."

It came into practice because it triggers certain actions in various software packages. For example, in Microsoft Outlook, an "@" before a userid in a message body causes the userid to appear in boldface type, and also automatically adds it to the list of recipients in the "To:" field.

Thanks, Halflip.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
Thanks, Halflip.

I'm glad I could help.

JFisher63

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Newbie Olds collector Reply with quote

I bought an Olds Ambassador cornet 1968 - & two Olds Ambassador trumpets one LA the other Fullerton both 50's vintage back in 1999. Fast forward & I retired from the USAF in 2020 & returned to playing. So I am a comeback player - I've been trying to pick up one of each Olds model within reasonable price. I believe I am only missing - Super Recording, Opera, & Military models - (probably all out of reach for my budget.) I have Mendez, Recording blah, blah - But interestingly I keep coming back for playing enjoyment to my 50's Studio cornet & my pre-war Super trumpet those seem to be my "go-to" of choice. Might change next month
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fairly informed Olds collector-- I've owned over a dozen over the years-- the Recording is the most unique of the bunch in terms of color and sound. It's classic and always reminded me more of a Bach 72. Mendez was the choice my long time teacher Tom Scott, and he swore by that and his Getzen, both great slotting horns with the requisite brightness for his studio work. I never got along with receiverless Olds horns like Specials and Ambassadors; just too open for my taste, but they sound terrific, bold and big. The late great Bill Lamb played on a 100 dollar Ambassador (that I found for him, incidentally) and killed everything he played.

The Super, well, that's another category, especially a wartime model. You can get literally anything out of it, and I play it out for big band along with my Bach. It'll do anything except stand on its head and barf, and there's some fine resistance there that I don't feel on anything else I play. It's Goldilocks.

ed
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
I do prefer the yellow brass bell on the Special trumpet for a light clear trumpet tone, but have used the Special cornet with nickel/bronze bell for concert band situations.

My experience with the Studio is that it is one of the easiest responding (hence the name) horns to play.

Thank you for the detailed knowledgeable experience. It helps my choice vs cost a lot.
Would you recommend the Studio over the brass bell Special? I see the other type bell specials going for higher prices, so your recommendation helps a lot because I initially thought I'd be better getting the "tri color" ones, but, not knowing, thought maybe they were preferred for better sound, but I also know, that's not always the case.
The Studio has come on my radar and am now down to looking for it vs a Super from the early 50's, as I presume that's likely the best era. For the same price, which do you think or are they too different to compare?
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
King Liberty('25,'29,'34 Silvertone)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwgib wrote:

Thank you for the detailed knowledgeable experience. It helps my choice vs cost a lot.
Would you recommend the Studio over the brass bell Special? I see the other type bell specials going for higher prices, so your recommendation helps a lot because I initially thought I'd be better getting the "tri color" ones, but, not knowing, thought maybe they were preferred for better sound, but I also know, that's not always the case.
The Studio has come on my radar and am now down to looking for it vs a Super from the early 50's, as I presume that's likely the best era. For the same price, which do you think or are they too different to compare?

I would say this is a matter of personal taste. Regarding the yellow brass Special vs Nickel/Bronze, the yellow brass bell is lighter in its tonal quality in my experience. The 3 color Special has a brilliance and focus I didn't look for. I especially like the ones with the nickel upper cylinder barrels and nickel outer slides. I think they slot nicer.

The Studio lights up with less effort, so from what you have told us about your ambition to try a wide variety of instruments, I think you have to find one that looks like the bargain you want, and make the move. I would avoid the horns made after about 1970 or so when they went to machined plastic spring barrels. Maybe a real nice early Fullerton Ambassador, if no other reason than the "reverse snobbery" of having a student horn that plays so well!

Also, the Specials and Studios in the later years that were nickel plated have been disappointing to play, in my experience.

If you see a Studio, Super, Recording, Mendez etc, go for that.

Your call!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:

I would say this is a matter of personal taste. Regarding the yellow brass Special vs Nickel/Bronze, the yellow brass bell is lighter in its tonal quality in my experience. The 3 color Special has a brilliance and focus I didn't look for. I especially like the ones with the nickel upper cylinder barrels and nickel outer slides. I think they slot nicer.

The Studio lights up with less effort, so from what you have told us about your ambition to try a wide variety of instruments, I think you have to find one that looks like the bargain you want, and make the move. I would avoid the horns made after about 1970 or so when they went to machined plastic spring barrels. Maybe a real nice early Fullerton Ambassador, if no other reason than the "reverse snobbery" of having a student horn that plays so well!

Also, the Specials and Studios in the later years that were nickel plated have been disappointing to play, in my experience.

If you see a Studio, Super, Recording, Mendez etc, go for that.

Your call!

Ok, Pulled the trigger on this nice restored 1953 Super https://www.ebay.com/itm/235034149966
What do you all think?
It's now the most expensive trumpet I own @ $633 total.
I almost settled for a really nice $200 Ambassador hds bad pics up, but had him send new ones to me. and was nice, but decided to shoot for the Super. Hopefully it's worth the difference.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)

Last edited by dwgib on Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a lot of great horns from Olds. Some of the models play a little different depending when they were made.

It comes down to personal preference. I know people who love the Recording and others who don't care for them. Additionally, different horns play differently. So, you may like one but not the other. I have always liked the Recording and the Mendez. The Mendez was Olds copy of the French Besson - which is what Rafael Mendez played before the Mendez Model.

Again, it is a personal preference and what works for one person may not work for someone else and that is okay.
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptbenge wrote:
There were a lot of great horns from Olds. Some of the models play a little different depending when they were made.

It comes down to personal preference. I know people who love the Recording and others who don't care for them. Additionally, different horns play differently. So, you may like one but not the other. I have always liked the Recording and the Mendez. The Mendez was Olds copy of the French Besson - which is what Rafael Mendez played before the Mendez Model.

Again, it is a personal preference and what works for one person may not work for someone else and that is okay.

I get that and why I was asking opinions because I've played none of them. huntman10's and others reviews were nice because they've played them all, so could compare somewhat and i could get an idea from there. I had never thought about the Studio and may try that next based on his thoughts, Couple of Recordings up, but they're a couple hundred more, at the least and hard fought.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
It'll do anything except stand on its head and barf...

That's okay, the player can stand on his head and the audience will do the rest.
dhasker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In April I picked up a March 1948 Olds Special all original in raw brass. I had picked it up to flip it but as I played it, i've ended up keeping it and it is now may daily player.

Guy who sits next to me in my Thursday band has a four digit (8xxx) Olds Special, we think from 1938. Physically the two horns are quite different. Different bracing, different spit valves, and different third slide stop. Almost like a different horn.

This special is a wonderful horn, light with a fairly mellow sound that lights up in the upper register. I'm playing with a Monette original B6 mouthpiece.
bencoul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the special varied a lot. The later ones (around the start of the 60's) were the "tri-colour". I use one of these as my main trumpet and think it is sublime.
1903 Besson London Prototype
Trumpets:
1930's Besson Brevette
1963 Olds Special
Flugel:
circa 80's Getzen Eterna 895
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwgib wrote:
I get that and why I was asking opinions because I've played none of them.

Specials are under-priced for their quality, and so an easy in to trying out an Olds. I've had three come through over the past year - '49, '52, and '64, all for under $300. I ended up keeping the '49, but they are all great players, and hold their own next to my Recording and Supers.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Maybe a real nice early Fullerton Ambassador, if no other reason than the "reverse snobbery" of having a student horn that plays so well!

Lol gotta remember that one…’reverse snobbery’…brilliant .
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Custom Crafted trumpets are always omitted when someone asks about Olds trumpets. Are they that rare? I have a 37117 Custom Crafted, which means it's designed as a lightweight Mendez. It only weighs 32.1 oz. A Schilke B2 that I used to have weighed over an ounce more. Not surprisingly, it plays a lot like a Benge. The Custom Crafted trumpets cost a couple of hundred dollars more than the Mendez back in the day. They were a financial bust.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHirakawa wrote:
The Old Custom Crafted trumpets are always omitted when someone asks about Olds trumpets. Are they that rare?

Considering how few Custom Crafted trumpets you see out there, I suspect they are that rare, resulting from the failure of the concept.

I had a friend in college who really wanted a Mendez. Years earlier he had saved all his paper-route money for two years and went to the local music store that sold Olds horns and was informed that Olds had discontinued the Mendez... but that you could replicate the design with the Custom Crafted line, except for the triggers. He was crushed, and his parents offered to chip in the difference in price, so he ordered the "Mendez" configuration.

He never really liked that horn, and for a year in college we swapped horns because he was convinced my Schilke MII was better, at least for big band lead. I wasn't a good enough trumpet player back then to discern much of a difference, or to offer an informed opinion now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: