• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

eBay vs. Reverb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: eBay vs. Reverb Reply with quote

What’s your preference tween these two online sellers and why?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have listed on both eBay and Reverb. The fees on eBay are higher, but I have had better luck selling there. If you use both, you increase the prospect of making a sale.
TJTS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of guitar friends that live on Reverb. For them, it is a much more trustworthy site since it is focused on musical instruments. Lots of good guitar, amp, and pedal sellers. It seems you will find more honest sellers on Reverb as well. The fees are indeed lower for the sellers as well.

I have a few horns listed on Reverb but it will always be cheaper to buy directly from my website to save on fee's.

The last few times I have bought and sold on eBay it has been a mess. Horns completely rotted out and sellers not disclosing or buyers not paying which creates pain for re-listing, etc.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay has higher fees and more scammers, but also more legit buyers.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverb’s site may be a little more difficult to navigate.

More importantly, re their guarantee that they’ll help you return something if it’s not as advertised- How do you prove something like that if the seller describes it as ‘good’ condition or ‘very good’ and you disagree once you receive the item?

Like eBay, it still seems you’re taking a risk if the seller themself doesn’t offer returns.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never sold anything on either site. From a buyer's perspective, I like that Reverb is simple, easy to navigate, and structured and organized with musicians in mind.

Edit: I'll add that the one time I had an issue with a Reverb purchase -- a horn I purchased from a music store -- the Reverb help staff stepped in quickly, researched thoroughly, and resolved the problem promptly.
Aj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both have fees of course. Pretty decent fees too.

Reverb is a little less user friendly than Ebay for us Internationals. Mainly due to the way they handle payments creating conversions in their favour. I would prefer to be paid into my paypal in USD so I can spend that in USD. Otherwise Paypal, Ebay and Reverb get their extras both ways.

Less horns locally (international) in Reverb too however, I noticed it's starting to pick up.

Both annoy me as it they show up a lot of listings from Japan and they always list at stupid prices. Like more than I can buy new direct. Don't know who's buying these items. Most of the time they are for sale for months and months. I'd prefer it if I could not have to scroll through them all. BE good if you could block some items.

Actually, there is shed-load of horns for sale worldwide. Not as scarce as 18 months ago. Dunno how some 'flipping' companies are making any money.
Jimbosan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a chance that you can find a really nice instrument that is way underpriced on ebay. A trumpet was listed on ebay as a "Besson Trumpet, silver plated, excellent condition, case included". The photos showed it was a Kanstul, French Besson Classic b-flat trumpet. I was the only bidder and got an near mint condition Kanstul trumpet, with a extra set of Kanstul heavy bottom valve caps, in a double horn case for $499.

A couple of years later a "French Besson Classic Trumpet" was posted on Ebay. I was described as "French Besson C trumpet, unused old stock, buy now $750." The photos showed it was a Kanstul, French Besson Classic C trumpet. I bought it on the spot. So i got a matching set of Kanstul French Besson Classic trumpets for the cost of a beat up Strad. French BessonClassics are similar to Bach Strads, with Kanstul quality.

I bought a 1947 Conn 22b on ebay. The lacquer looked terrible. The valve block had a black stain at 1st and 2nd valves. There was a photo with the horn disassembled. It looked pretty good except for the lacquer, straight, the Crysteel valves lood nice, and the seller said it had no dents. I always wanted onem, so I submitted at bid of $100. Not much risk at that price. I took the lacquer off and have perfectly good 22b in raw brass.

(I also got an old stock, unused Scotty Cameron putter for $120 on ebay, and it was the exact model and lenght that I wanted, but that's another story.)

You have to know what you are looking at on ebay, weight risk with return, and be willing to pull the trigger fast if it's a super deal. Ebay favors the savvy buyer.

You won't find super deals like that on reverb or the trumpet herald marketplace.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles

Last edited by Jimbosan on Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Chickynuggie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a buyer? eBay. Generally, the prices are lower or there’s more inventory. Its buyer protection is phenomenal.

That said, I think it tips the scales too far in the buyers favor. All you have to do is claim the item is different from listed and you’re basically guaranteed your money back. I’ve been burned twice by buyers claiming falsely that I misrepresented trumpets. I now take videos of all sales before and during shipment to cover my backside. I’ve also stopped selling on eBay.

Reverb has 7 days to request refunds, but I find prices are set higher, typically. This may have to do with more knowledgeable sellers, I’m not sure. There’s less inventory on Reverb, I’ve found. Though you’re likely to find rarer in better condition.

I’ve had much better luck here and Facebook, FWIW.
Just my experiences.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Reverb. The site is dedicated to musical instruments and gear, so you're dealing primarily with musicians, or at the very least, people who know what they have. Ebay has a much larger user base, so you're more likely to find a "diamond in the rough", but far more likely to buy something in serious disrepair that might look alright in the photos. Personally, I'd rather buy a playable instrument at a good price than a project horn at a steep discount. Reverb's offer function is a great tool to negotiate with the seller, especially on instruments that have been listed for a while. Of course, eBay has this feature too, but I've had better luck negotiating on Reverb than eBay. The best place to find great deals these days seems to be Facebook Marketplace, for what it's worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: