• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 18037 (90's) vs Bach 19037 vs Yamaha YTR-8335II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ls5454ss wrote:
@Lou:
Quote:
Based on information here, the majority of people said slotting was a mixed bag, and I REALLY want to lock in the notes.

It goes to show how we different we all are. My preference is for something with secure enough slotting but that doesn't lock in so definitely, but obviously there are no rights and wrongs, and it is personal preference and what suits the individual player.
"It goes to show how we different we all are. My preference is for something with secure enough slotting but that doesn't lock in so definitely, but obviously there are no rights and wrongs, and it is personal preference and what suits the individual player." ... 100% correct with this. And crazy how we both have different feelings of how the horn reacts too!

Thanks very much. Maybe our different feelings are owing to a different mouthpiece choice, different mouthpiece gap etc.

Hi. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this to be honest. Would you mind clarifying.

^ Apologies for not explaining this well. What I was trying to say was that I prefer REALLY locking in the notes, where you don't want it to lock in so definitely...that's all

Yes, I completely agree. Do you feel that the Yamaha Xeno II really locks into the notes? After trying my colleagues Bach 37* in addition to my Bach 37, I felt that especially with a sleeve that gave a larger mouthpiece gap, that both Bachs literally pinged into the slot almost before I felt that I had even produced the note. Is this what you mean by really wanting to lock into the notes? Maybe it isn't and I'm misunderstanding. I feel that my Xeno II (at least with a James R New 6.5 sleeve that replicates the insertion of a Yamaha mouthpiece) has secure enough slotting, because I feel that I hear the note in my head and can accurately and cleanly pitch it there, but I don't feel the note pinging into the slot.

Maybe it is simply a factor of mouthpiece gap. Now I've moved to a James R New 6.25 (only from a 6) on my Bach 37, I feel that this pinging into the slot is considerably reduced, and the slotting is getting towards that of my Yamaha Xeno II. As I said, I'm playing my Xeno II with a James R New 6.5 sleeve. I prefer smaller mouthpiece gaps, and maybe this is loosening the slots, so I'm not experiencing what you are experiencing. All I know, is that I love my Xeno II just as it is.

Quote:
...What you say is really interesting. I've truly never noticed this and I've played this trumpet everywhere for eight years. I'm not doubting you at all, especially if your colleague said the same, but honestly I've never noticed this.

Or maybe I did notice this originally, but have long forgotten it. I imagine that when you play something as your primary horn for many years, everything because the norm....

^ Definitely all good points that you made in the original reply! (I truncated it a bit...). But I wanted to hit on the last part you said, where when you play something for a while, it's just the norm.

Yes, I completely agree.

I'm sure this will become the * norm for me also.

Yes, I think that it will.

I actually did notice it again at the full mass (it's just me, another trumpeter, and piano/organ). I tried to play with the same amount of air that I normally do on the Bach, well, as much as one can attempt to do that...haha. In doing so, I thought I was playing softer. It turns out, after feedback from the MD and my wife (who was oddly not even close to where my horn was projecting), I found that I was actually playing louder than usual.

Very interesting, thanks.

I've also only been playing with one, maybe two other brass players - MAX - for the past 10 years or so, so that may have something to do with me noticing this. I haven't formally sat down in a concert type environment in...sheesh...I can't tell you how long.

It could indeed be something to do with you noticing this. I play as one of two trumpets in a forty member symphony orchestra, one of three trumpets in a 65 member community orchestra, and one of 2 trumpets in a piece swing band.

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. Refined would be my word for this trumpet, but smooth, yes.

^ Well said .

Thanks very much.

I also found today that the horn really seems to ring/project/etc in the upper registers, vs the lower registers. Holding on to an upper register note, like an e/f/g...nothing crazy...just flows out so nicely with minimal effort. And gosh does it ring out and sound amazing.

Again interesting. To me, I feel that the Xeno II responds and projects the same in all the registers. I feel that there is this very even and uniform response throught the registers.

And, don't get me wrong, this horn isn't a magic fix. My chops were still fatigued at the end of mass...but even as such, the notes came out, and in tune .

That is great news.

I'd have to say I was less fatigued than I have been with the Bach as of lately, which is one objective I wanted with a new horn.

Sounds like your Xeno II is working out really well for you. Presumably it will definitely be a keeper.

Congratulations again on your new trumpet.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
ls5454ss wrote:
^ Apologies for not explaining this well. What I was trying to say was that I prefer REALLY locking in the notes, where you don't want it to lock in so definitely...that's all ...

--------------------------------------------
It seems you want to be able to 'place' the pitch where you want, not at the 'insistence' of the instrument.

Hi Jay

If you are talking about me rather than the OP, yes, that sounds about right.

... and probably you'd like for that chosen pitch to sort of 'lock in' and not 'wander about' or 'lose resonance'.

Again if you are talking about me, I feel that is about right.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Do you like your Bach 184 cornet? I don't think that I'm a Bach trumpet kind of girl, although I like the Bach 184ML cornet and really like the Bach 183 flugel. Maybe I just don't like the Bach 25 leadpipe, 37 bell combination. In all honesty, I think that there could be a misunderstanding in setting up my Bach. If I use a James R New 6 sleeve that inserts like a Bach trumpet mouthpiece, my Bach 37 has the same level of blow resistance as my Xeno II, but it has more pingy slotting. If I use a James R New 6.5 sleeve that inserts like a Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece, my Bach 37 slots more like my Xeno with the same 6.5 sleeve, but my Bach 37 is more open. I've put my Bach 37 away for now, but when I get it out again, I'm going to stick to the James R New 6.5 sleeve and accept it like it is. I'm however in no rush to try my Bach again, as I like my Xeno II so much. My apologies to the OP for derailing his thread a bit, but I do think that mouthpiece compatability and gap considerations are important when changing from one horn to another, so I think that they are relative here. When it comes down to it, there has to be a good three way match between player, mouthpiece and horn, and sometimes mouthpiece choice influences horn choice.

I like my Bach 184. It's a large bore.

When I was actually playing seriously, one of my groups - a brass septet - had a group owned 184L that I had for a decade. It was lacquer, had the trigger replaced with a hook, and played very open. It was great for me back then.

Once I took a hiatus from the group (I suppose, it's not a hiatus anymore), others made use of the horn and I found the same model on eBay for a good price and in good shape. Silver plate, large bore, but with trigger. It played very nice, less open than the other, but very well. I hated the trigger, though. Eventually, I got the trigger removed and replaced with a hook and that opened up the horn a lot. Unfortunately, unlike when I was playing and performing constantly, it's somewhat too open for me at my level. Eh.

I've never really gotten along with the typical Bach 37 models. They just don't play the way that I like. The 43 is pretty good and I want to like the 72 but ... not sure. But the typical 37 bell and 25 leadpipe is not my favorite and I've played hundreds of them at this point between being a teacher, playing many things at shops, and actually working in music retail (which I don't at the moment).

Crazy Finn wrote:
That Yamaha is one of the few horns I've played within the last decade and change that I enjoyed and thought would be worthy.

Louise Finch wrote:
Have you thought of trying one for a longer time period?

Lou

If I get serious about playing and performing again, maybe. It's on a short list with some of the Shires models like the CLW and such.

The last I was performing seriously was well over a decade ago. I haven't picked up my trumpet in months. Actually, it's probably been a couple years. I should do that, maybe.

In the meantime, I really like my Benge 3X and Selmer Radial. They're excellent instruments and I don't have any need to improve on them to be honest.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that literally just came to my mind last night when thinking about my trumpet progress in the recent past: we always talk about notes „locking in“ but we never seem to talk about the „locking out“ step. Unless I want to play an entire tune on one note I’d also need a horn to let me move swiftly and w/o too much resistance to the next note.

As I wrote in another thread I recently had the chance to directly compare some of my horns with some of my teachers horns (my Hüttl Silver Colibri, Bach 43GH, Conn 6B, Buescher 400 lightweight, along with his Taylor, Conn 52B, Selmer Radial, Olds Special, and a prototype horn he is currently testing for someone).

As I have made quite some playing progress over the last 2-3 years, it seems I have become able to both hear and play notes much more accurately than before. Along with this, I feel that the Bach and other horns of that ilk lock me in too strongly and I seem to do better on horns with precise but „softer“ slots that also allow me to move around more quickly (not sure I’m clear — hope you understand).

One key aspect seems to be that the first onset of „leaving“ a note and moving on to the next one is greatly facilitated with both the Schmidt and the Conn in comparison to the Bach. I did like the Special and the 52B as they had this same flexibility. The Radial was different (?) but I couldn’t quite figure out why and the Taylor was way too open for me — flexible to an extent that I’d find hard to control on a gig, I guess. The prototype horn totally wowed me, I’ll have to know more about it The Hüttl, while having a very impressive sound, felt relatively stiff and I have sold it in the meantime. Currently trying to sort out my feelings about the Buescher.

Sorry for throwing in so many different brands; I just wanted to make my point about the lock-out step and got carried away a little.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, and a stylish vintage Zottola 66C
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
One thing that literally just came to my mind last night when thinking about my trumpet progress in the recent past: we always talk about notes „locking in“ but we never seem to talk about the „locking out“ step. Unless I want to play an entire tune on one note I’d also need a horn to let me move swiftly and w/o too much resistance to the next note.

Hi Brassnose

Yes, I completely agree.

As I wrote in another thread I recently had the chance to directly compare some of my horns with some of my teachers horns (my Hüttl Silver Colibri, Bach 43GH, Conn 6B, Buescher 400 lightweight, along with his Taylor, Conn 52B, Selmer Radial, Olds Special, and a prototype horn he is currently testing for someone).

As I have made quite some playing progress over the last 2-3 years, it seems I have become able to both hear and play notes much more accurately than before. Along with this, I feel that the Bach and other horns of that ilk lock me in too strongly and I seem to do better on horns with precise but „softer“ slots that also allow me to move around more quickly (not sure I’m clear — hope you understand).

You are perfectly clear, and this is my preference also.

One key aspect seems to be that the first onset of „leaving“ a note and moving on to the next one is greatly facilitated with both the Schmidt and the Conn in comparison to the Bach. I did like the Special and the 52B as they had this same flexibility. The Radial was different (?) but I couldn’t quite figure out why and the Taylor was way too open for me — flexible to an extent that I’d find hard to control on a gig, I guess. The prototype horn totally wowed me, I’ll have to know more about it The Hüttl, while having a very impressive sound, felt relatively stiff and I have sold it in the meantime. Currently trying to sort out my feelings about the Buescher.

Sorry for throwing in so many different brands; I just wanted to make my point about the lock-out step and got carried away a little.

No worries at all, and all very interesting, thanks.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Do you like your Bach 184 cornet? I don't think that I'm a Bach trumpet kind of girl, although I like the Bach 184ML cornet and really like the Bach 183 flugel. Maybe I just don't like the Bach 25 leadpipe, 37 bell combination. In all honesty, I think that there could be a misunderstanding in setting up my Bach. If I use a James R New 6 sleeve that inserts like a Bach trumpet mouthpiece, my Bach 37 has the same level of blow resistance as my Xeno II, but it has more pingy slotting. If I use a James R New 6.5 sleeve that inserts like a Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece, my Bach 37 slots more like my Xeno with the same 6.5 sleeve, but my Bach 37 is more open. I've put my Bach 37 away for now, but when I get it out again, I'm going to stick to the James R New 6.5 sleeve and accept it like it is. I'm however in no rush to try my Bach again, as I like my Xeno II so much. My apologies to the OP for derailing his thread a bit, but I do think that mouthpiece compatability and gap considerations are important when changing from one horn to another, so I think that they are relative here. When it comes down to it, there has to be a good three way match between player, mouthpiece and horn, and sometimes mouthpiece choice influences horn choice.

I like my Bach 184. It's a large bore.

I'm very glad to hear that you like your Bach 184.

When I was actually playing seriously, one of my groups - a brass septet - had a group owned 184L that I had for a decade. It was lacquer, had the trigger replaced with a hook, and played very open. It was great for me back then.

Once I took a hiatus from the group (I suppose, it's not a hiatus anymore), others made use of the horn and I found the same model on eBay for a good price and in good shape. Silver plate, large bore, but with trigger. It played very nice, less open than the other, but very well. I hated the trigger, though. Eventually, I got the trigger removed and replaced with a hook and that opened up the horn a lot.

I've heard this before, but it is interesting that it opens up the horn a lot.

Unfortunately, unlike when I was playing and performing constantly, it's somewhat too open for me at my level. Eh.

I've never really gotten along with the typical Bach 37 models. They just don't play the way that I like.

This is very interesting, thanks. So you like the Bach 184ML cornet, but not the typical Bach 37 models? I keep thinking that I should like the Bach 37/25 as I like the Bach 184ML cornet and Bach 183 flugel, but the Bach 37/25 doesn't seem to play like the Bach 184. I do fully appreciate that one is a trumpet and one is a cornet.

The 43 is pretty good and I want to like the 72 but ... not sure. But the typical 37 bell and 25 leadpipe is not my favorite and I've played hundreds of them at this point between being a teacher, playing many things at shops, and actually working in music retail (which I don't at the moment).

That is interesting. Nobody can accuse you then of simply not having played a good one.

Would you mind detailing what you don't like about the Bach 37/25, as I would be very interested in hearing this, and comparing it to my experiences as another player who also likes the Bach 184 cornet, but is not so sure about the Bach 37/25.

Crazy Finn wrote:
That Yamaha is one of the few horns I've played within the last decade and change that I enjoyed and thought would be worthy.

Louise Finch wrote:
Have you thought of trying one for a longer time period?

Lou

If I get serious about playing and performing again, maybe. It's on a short list with some of the Shires models like the CLW and such.

Thanks very much. I've never played a Shires. It sounds like we may like similar horns, if you liked the Yamaha Xeno II when you tried it, and also like the Bach 184.

The last I was performing seriously was well over a decade ago. I haven't picked up my trumpet in months. Actually, it's probably been a couple years. I should do that, maybe.

Yes, definitely I reckon lol.

In the meantime, I really like my Benge 3X and Selmer Radial. They're excellent instruments and I don't have any need to improve on them to be honest.

I can fully understand this. Why try other trumpets, when you are already very happy with what you have?

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good comparison between a 1970 Strad and Xenon 9335 based on the player's impressions.

From his perspective, the Yamaha is more in tune with itself, but overall the Bach is easier to play:

Link
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not apples to apples if one horn is silver plated and the other is lacquer.

DB
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting video, thanks. He kept saying that the Yamaha is more even. Admittedly he is playing a generation 1 9335 NY rather than an 8335 Xeno II (but the 8335 Xeno II has a fair number of features fed down from the generation 1 9335 trumpets), but I would completely agree with him. I find my Yamaha Xeno II to be extremely even in response throughout the registers, with very good intonation.

To me, when he played the more ballad style piece (1.50 in he switches to the Yamaha), I felt that he was comparatively fighting the Yamaha compared to the Bach, but this could be explained by mouthpiece compatibility like he said (quite likely mouthpiece gap), and also that he says that the Bach is his primary horn.

I preferred his sound on the Bach on this ballad style tune, possibly because I felt that he was more comfortable on the Bach, but up to this point, admittedly I'm listening on just the inbuilt speakers of my laptop, I'm not so sure that his sound was nicer on the Bach. I recognised both the sound of the Yamaha and Bach from the sound of my two, and in the earlier excerpts he played, I actually preferred the sound of the Yamaha. To me, it sounded more classically orientated despite him not playing classical repertoire, which is probably what you would expect from a 9335 NY, whereas the sound of the Bach sounded more suitable for jazz. I feel the same with my two horns. Maybe this is my idea of what a classical horn sounds like. I do primarily classical trumpet playing, and I like the sound of Yamaha trumpets to be honest.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
It's not apples to apples if one horn is silver plated and the other is lacquer.

DB

Maybe, but I could recognise the Yamaha and Bach sounds. Obviously I have my individual sound, and my Yamaha is a 8335 Xeno II in lacquer, and my Bach 37 is gold-plated, but I recognised the difference in sound between a Yamaha and a Bach from this video.

Personally I like the Yamaha sound, and I like my sound best on my Yamaha. Whereas I felt that he was fighting the Yamaha a little compared to the Bach, on the final excerpt, I feel very comfortable on mine, probably because it is my primary trumpet, and I've dialled in the mouthpiece gap on both horns.

As much as I like how my Yamaha plays, I also really like my sound on it, which I feel is a big consideration when choosing a trumpet.

He said that he finds things easier on the Bach, and you could hear this. I believe that the Bach is a better fit for either him, or more likely a better fit for the combination of him and this mouthpiece (or mouthpiece gap).

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

To me, when he played the more ballad style piece (1.50 in he switches to the Yamaha), I felt that he was comparatively fighting the Yamaha compared to the Bach, but this could be explained by mouthpiece compatibility like he said (quite likely mouthpiece gap), and also that he says that the Bach is his primary horn.

I preferred his sound on the Bach on this ballad style tune, possibly because I felt that he was more comfortable on the Bach…

Lou

Haha, you’re right, he did appear to be fighting it a bit on the Xeno there, and it’s likely the person who had played that Xeno for years and sold it to him preferred the Xeno because he was familiar with it, just as the player was familiar with his Bach.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

I preferred his sound on the Bach on this ballad style tune, possibly because I felt that he was more comfortable on the Bach…

Lou

Haha, you’re right, he did appear to be fighting it a bit on the Xeno there, and it’s likely the person who had played that Xeno for years and sold it to him preferred the Xeno because he was familiar with it, just as the player was familiar with his Bach.

Yes, I agree that this is a contributory factor. Also, I'm a firm believer in dialling the mouthpiece gap in on both horns. I'm using a James R New 6.5 sleeve on my Yamaha, but 6.25 sleeve on my Bach. This doesn't sound much difference, but a 6.5 sleeve on my Bach is right out the other side of the sweet spot, whereas the 6 sleeve plays well, but is a bit tight blowing and slotty for my taste.

Apart from him fighting the Yamaha a bit, I actually preferred the sound of the Yamaha. Maybe it was just the recording equipment, the sound through my laptop speakers, or more likely my sound preference, since I really like the sound of my Yamaha.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having happily played a Bach 184ML as my primary horn between the end of 1995 and beginning of 2014, and having happily played a Bach flugel from around 2006, I've always thought that I'm a Bach girl. But I'm not too sure to be honest. I love my Yamaha Xeno II trumpet that I've played since 2015, and really liked the Yamaha YTR-6335HGII I had before my Bach 37. Maybe it is just this Bach 37/25, but I'm starting to think that just because I like the Bach 184ML cornet and Bach 183 flugel, it doesn't necessarily mean that I will like the Bach 37/25. There has been a lot of talk about the leadpipe of my Bach, but I liked my colleagues 37*/25 even less. That was however before I dialled in my mouthpiece gap.

I've had a message from my jazz band trumpet colleague, who switched from the Bach 37 that he bought new in the late 1970s to a Schilke S33HD around maybe 5 years ago. He says that I got him interested in trying his Bach 37 again, and when he got it out, he preferred his sound on his Schilke, but it was pretty close. He has suggested us both bringing our Bachs this Friday and trying each others. The other chap whose Bach I have already tried, plays trombone in our jazz band, but obviously also trumpet. I've just messaged him and asked him if he can bring his as well, so we can try three Bach 37/25s. Now I've dialled in my mouthpiece gap on at least my Bach, it will be interesting to see whether either of my colleague's Bachs particularly reach out to me.

I have a feeling that I am more of a Yamaha girl, and I'm going to stick with my Yamaha Xeno II, as I really like it and I am getting good results with it, so why change?

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
... Now I've dialled in my mouthpiece gap on at least my Bach, it will be interesting to see whether either of my colleague's Bachs particularly reach out to me. ...

-----------------
For an accurate comparison, you would have to find the 'best gap' for the various instruments - maybe take all of your sleeves with you.
Or maybe just let the others try your Bach (maybe with your mpc/sleeve choice), listen to how it sounds and what they say about it.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks v much Jay. I do fully appreciate that the other Bachs may like a different gap, but I don’t think that a jazz band rehearsal is the place to dial in the gap with each of my sleeves. I feel that I would need to do this at home, where I can stop and swap sleeves when I want.

Beings this is just a bit of fun, I plan to try the other Bachs with the sleeve I’ve chosen for my Bach 37.

This is how I think most of us would do it when trying a few of the same model at a retailer.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
... I plan to try the other Bachs with the sleeve I’ve chosen for my Bach 37.

This is how I think most of us would do it when trying loads of the same model. ...

--------------------------
I certainly agree that is how most people would do it - I've done it that way.

One thing your 'adventures' with the Bach should have taught us is that -
gap can matter
and
same mpc on a different instrument might not work best.

Do let us know the results, and especially the views of the others about your Bach.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, Jay, and will do.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: