• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flip Oakes Extreme Flugel Mouthpiece


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jun 2023
Posts: 462

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Kanstul fabricate the mouthpieces?
If so, where did the cutters end-up ?
_________________
Sub-Optimal Hillbilly Jazz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jun 2023
Posts: 462

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops.

Upon reading the back pages of this thread, apparently Mark Curry made the Oakes 'pieces.

Am wondering if the mouthpieces were patented or trademarked in some way?
_________________
Sub-Optimal Hillbilly Jazz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 18 Sep 2007
Posts: 7009
Location: AZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
Ooops.

Upon reading the back pages of this thread, apparently Mark Curry made the Oakes 'pieces.

Am wondering if the mouthpieces were patented or trademarked in some way?


No. Flip did not have the kind of volume that would warrant or pay for those processes, nor for the legal fees needed to defend them. Also, Flip never developed products for the mainstream player. He always aimed to meet his own needs as a professional trumpet player believing that if something played well for him, it would play well for those who used his horns. That's why I have always found that his products provided me with a cohesive system that just worked.
_________________
Brian A. Douglas

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper


There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drmayne
Regular Member


Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Posts: 22
Location: seattle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another use I found for Flip's Xtreme flugel mouthpiece - is when I don't want to carry a real flugel to a gig and I'm carrying just a trumpet instead - is to get a flugel to trumpet mouthpiece adapter - and just carry the Xtreme mouthpiece and switch when needed, using the trumpet. The trumpet then sounds *much* more like a real flugel than using, say a GR FD or ACB hybrid mouthpiece, or using a GR FL or other flugel mouthpieces with said adapter and a trumpet.

It can make an otherwise fairly bright trumpet into a more mellow ballad horn...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jun 2023
Posts: 462

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drmayne wrote:
Another use I found for Flip's Xtreme flugel mouthpiece - is when I don't want to carry a real flugel to a gig and I'm carrying just a trumpet instead - is to get a flugel to trumpet mouthpiece adapter - and just carry the Xtreme mouthpiece and switch when needed, using the trumpet. The trumpet then sounds *much* more like a real flugel than using, say a GR FD or ACB hybrid mouthpiece, or using a GR FL or other flugel mouthpieces with said adapter and a trumpet.

It can make an otherwise fairly bright trumpet into a more mellow ballad horn...


THAT is my suspicion. Exactly "what the doctor ordered",
_________________
Sub-Optimal Hillbilly Jazz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dershem
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 1887
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drmayne wrote:
Another use I found for Flip's Xtreme flugel mouthpiece - is when I don't want to carry a real flugel to a gig and I'm carrying just a trumpet instead - is to get a flugel to trumpet mouthpiece adapter - and just carry the Xtreme mouthpiece and switch when needed, using the trumpet. The trumpet then sounds *much* more like a real flugel than using, say a GR FD or ACB hybrid mouthpiece, or using a GR FL or other flugel mouthpieces with said adapter and a trumpet.

It can make an otherwise fairly bright trumpet into a more mellow ballad horn...


It's also good if you have a slide trumpet/soprano trombone, and don't want it to sound like a garden hose.
_________________
BKA! Mic Gillette was my mentor and friend.
Marcinkiewicz Mic G. trumpet, Custom Marcinkiewicz mpc. (Among others)
Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt flugel, Benge 8Z cornet, King 2B, Bach 36, Benge 190, Getzen 3062... many more. All Marc. mouthpieces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 2831
Location: La-la Land (corner of 13th and 13th)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if the FO X tpt mouthpieces have the same diameter and rim geometries as the flugelhorn mpcs?

I have a FO X5 flugelhorn piece that fits me perfectly. I’m wondering if finding a FO X5 trumpet piece would be what I want (should I be lucky enough to find one), or if it’s not that simple
_________________
"Stomvi" PhrankenPhlugel w/ Blessing copper bell
1958 Conn 18A cornet
1962 Conn 9A cornet (yes, the Unicorn )
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard III
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 2650
Location: Anacortes, WA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and they feel the same.

Edit: The rims feel the same. Obviously they are quite different in the cup. But, I have never found a reason to play them. It feels like they are made for Flip's playing, not for mine. YMMV.
_________________
Richard

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 2831
Location: La-la Land (corner of 13th and 13th)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard.

Yep. Just wondering about rim diameter and feel. I assumed cups would be different.

The FO X5 works perfect for me on my flugelhorn and matches my style and sound concept. I use a Curry TF on my trumpet and looking to fuzz it up further, so the FO X5 for tpt seems like a likely good tool to have in my kit.

Thanks again!
_________________
"Stomvi" PhrankenPhlugel w/ Blessing copper bell
1958 Conn 18A cornet
1962 Conn 9A cornet (yes, the Unicorn )
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard III
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 2650
Location: Anacortes, WA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FO Extreme trumpet mouthpiece has an 11 bore but otherwise is a normal C cup mouthpiece. No fuzz involved.
_________________
Richard

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 2831
Location: La-la Land (corner of 13th and 13th)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
My FO Extreme trumpet mouthpiece has an 11 bore but otherwise is a normal C cup mouthpiece. No fuzz involved.


Crazy, given the X designation, I would have assumed bigger deeper bowl in addition to larger throat. Good to know. Maybe my Curry TF is as deep and fuzzy as it gets for trumpet🤔
_________________
"Stomvi" PhrankenPhlugel w/ Blessing copper bell
1958 Conn 18A cornet
1962 Conn 9A cornet (yes, the Unicorn )
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard III
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 2650
Location: Anacortes, WA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnArtist wrote:
Richard III wrote:
My FO Extreme trumpet mouthpiece has an 11 bore but otherwise is a normal C cup mouthpiece. No fuzz involved.


Crazy, given the X designation, I would have assumed bigger deeper bowl in addition to larger throat. Good to know. Maybe my Curry TF is as deep and fuzzy as it gets for trumpet🤔


In my experience it is. Plus, it plays in tune and is everything I've wanted to get "that" kind of sound.
_________________
Richard

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 2831
Location: La-la Land (corner of 13th and 13th)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
ConnArtist wrote:
Richard III wrote:
My FO Extreme trumpet mouthpiece has an 11 bore but otherwise is a normal C cup mouthpiece. No fuzz involved.


Crazy, given the X designation, I would have assumed bigger deeper bowl in addition to larger throat. Good to know. Maybe my Curry TF is as deep and fuzzy as it gets for trumpet🤔


In my experience it is. Plus, it plays in tune and is everything I've wanted to get "that" kind of sound.


10-4. Yeah, once I got the Curry TF about 15 years ago, I ended the safari with zero interest in looking further! Then this thread pops up and I discover a FO X exists for trumpet and got me thinking…

My father always did say that was a dangerous thing for me to do😅
_________________
"Stomvi" PhrankenPhlugel w/ Blessing copper bell
1958 Conn 18A cornet
1962 Conn 9A cornet (yes, the Unicorn )
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
barryj1
Veteran Member


Joined: 12 Nov 2001
Posts: 408
Location: Attleboro, MA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a FO 1X cornet mouthpiece. It originally came with a #16 bore on the throat but I opened the throat to a #14 (i.e. like the DW no letter mouthpieces) with a manual reamer. The extra width makes the tone even more mellow on my Getzen Deluxe cornet. The Flip Oaks is a phenomenal mouthpiece!
I didn't think it was possible to go larger than a #14 with major loss in stamina and physical control over the horn.
Barry
_________________
Getzen 800DLX cornet
Flip Oaks 1X mouthpiece
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 2831
Location: La-la Land (corner of 13th and 13th)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryj1 wrote:
I play a FO 1X cornet mouthpiece. It originally came with a #16 bore on the throat but I opened the throat to a #14 (i.e. like the DW no letter mouthpieces) with a manual reamer. The extra width makes the tone even more mellow on my Getzen Deluxe cornet. The Flip Oaks is a phenomenal mouthpiece!
I didn't think it was possible to go larger than a #14 with major loss in stamina and physical control over the horn.
Barry


I love my Yammie 9E for my cornet. Was just looking at that last night. Might buy another sacrificial one and try to open the throat a bit. I’ve plugged my FO X5 small morse into the cornet for kicks, but that’s taking it a bit TOO far
_________________
"Stomvi" PhrankenPhlugel w/ Blessing copper bell
1958 Conn 18A cornet
1962 Conn 9A cornet (yes, the Unicorn )
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
barryj1
Veteran Member


Joined: 12 Nov 2001
Posts: 408
Location: Attleboro, MA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention is that when I opened up the throat on my cornet mouthpiece to a #14 drill the horn became just a tad too free blowing and I wanted to restore the lost resistance. I did this by adding brass washers to the bottom of all three valve caps. The additional weight not only fixed the problem but also improved slotting and the ability to play down the pitch center of each note.

I know this sound quite nutty, but I currently have eleven washers sandwiched in the bottom of the valve caps. The slightest change in how the weight is distributed as well as the individual size of the washers can have a profoundly beneficial effect on both the tone and responsiveness of the instrument. This is something I have been experimenting with over quite a few years now.
_________________
Getzen 800DLX cornet
Flip Oaks 1X mouthpiece
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group