• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

playing the cornet now exclusively for practice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: playing the cornet now exclusively for practice Reply with quote

it's nice. i have a carol brass 3880 cornet, had it for well over a decade, and never played it past a few tunes.
it played well with a curry 3 BBC mouthpiece but that was always a compromise. i use wild thing 3s in both the trumpet and flugel, and the curry 3 size is noticeably smaller than the wild thing. flip oakes hooked me up with a wild thing cornet 3 size so same exact rims and diameters.
the mouthpiece made all the difference, if nothing else with familiarity. playing the cornet with the deeper cup challenges the chops in a different way than the trumpet which i am finding extremely enjoyable going through daily practice.
if i can strengthen up a bit as a player i would like to do the exact same thing with the flugel. i love the sound and would like to get a lot more face time.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a beautifully restored Benge cornet (thank you Josh Landress). It has been my go-to horn for weeks, now, and will likely remain so.

Been using a Purviance 5*K4 and works fine. No rainbows parting the clouds. Just good, compatible stuff.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds intriguing. i've never played a benge cornet.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical "American" straight cornet. Wonderful for Dixieland/Trad. and traditional cornet music. I could probably use it in an average community BBB but not in a serious one. But, then, I don't have a BBB available, so there you go.

I don't have much intonation problems with it, BTW.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:11 am; edited 2 times in total
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they don't make them like that anymore. i'm going to look into getting a long cornet.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never have played a cornet. Kind of wish I had a mouthpiece to bring to ITG to try one. I don’t suppose a flugelhorn mouthpiece would work.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
they don't make them like that anymore. i'm going to look into getting a long cornet.

Believe it or not, there is one American made straight bell cornet left: the Bach CR301. It is the large bore .462. I bought one and had the 3rd valve slide stop added. It is a cyborg horn; it used to be marketed as the King 602. Same horn. The only difference is the valve buttons. I bought one to play in concert band. The bell has a tight throat and quick flare, so you can sit in section with trumpets. This is now my main upper brass instrument. You can get either the King version or the Bach version used for a good price. Just watch for one that may have been beat up by students. Mine had really never been played. I found out why: the factory missed drilling for the main water key! I drilled it and everything was great. To get a bright as I need to, I have a real antique Parduba 6 1/2. For mellower literature, I have a couple of Curry mouthpieces. This is the most underrated cornet, especially for the price, out there.

Last edited by iiipopes on Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 7:27 am    Post subject: Playing the cornet Reply with quote

Hello all,
Cornet has a specific sound/timbre. Long cornets can sound trumpety just by mouthpiece choice. I play both cornet and trumpet in various groups. Depending on range and endurance factors, I trade off with Warburton D, XD and MBC cups. I also have a Schilke 14E4, but it is way too fluffy sounding to be of much use to me.
I am sure the folks at ITG will have cornet mouthpieces. Make sure you play some Schilke horns. cornet wise, I play an XA1.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Playing cornet Reply with quote

Since I came back in February decided to play only cornet. I have a Jupiter 520 M Shepherds crook cornet.
I am not happy with the valves on the Jupiter 520 M shepherds crook cornet ,so bought another one for parts.
I won bids on two other student cornet which I plan to flip.
Have three short shank mouthpieces; Denis Wick 4 gold mouthpiece, Getzen 4 B silver mouthpiece and a Jupiter 9e silver mouthpiece.
Bach Megatone 5B mouthpiece
Jupiter 9 e (5 C ) mouthpiece
Holton 6 c mouthpiece
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't short-shank cornet mouthpieces only for vintage horns while the Jupiter is a modern cornet, and would take a long shank cornet mouthpiece?

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Aren't short-shank cornet mouthpieces only for vintage horns while the Jupiter is a modern cornet, and would take a long shank cornet mouthpiece?

In my experience, not only some vintage cornets, but just about all current British cornets and many of the Yammy & Jupiter cornets take the small shank. I have short shank mpcs for my 921; I have Yammy short shank that happen to have a smaller tip for my JP sop; I have standard Bach-spec long shanks for my CR301.

And it gets better. In a prior age, York, Olds, King, Blessing, Conn, Besson, Holton, and possibly others each had their own proprietary shank taper and tip diameter.

Last edited by iiipopes on Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

I agree with iiipopes. I use a Yamaha 13E4 short-shank cornet mouthpiece on my Bach 184 Cornet.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Comeback player Reply with quote

As a amateur cornet player, do like the sound of the small shank mouthpieces. The short shank mouthpiece softens my natural loud sound.
Experimented today with on a american style wrap cornet and my Shepherds crook cornet. When using the long shank unmarked mouthpiece it made the american wrap cornet sound like a trumpet. My short shank mouthpiece sounded softer to me and had a cornet sound.
The long shank mouthpiece made my shepherds crook cornet sounded louder. Short shank mouthpiece same as above.
As a comeback player, have much work to get to the level I was in the past.
Think I have found the right valve oil for my cornets. LaTromba valve oil 2, waiting on LaTromba 1. Found out that LaTromba 3 valve oil was to thin for my cornets.
Bach Megatone 5B mouthpiece
Jupiter 9 e (5 C ) mouthpiece
Holton 6 c mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: