• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Studying Stamp...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently studying with a former student of Mr. Stamp's. Although we are now on break until the new year, I am dutifully practicing as much as I can in the interim. My teacher will stop me when he hears that I am forcing the sound, rather than letting the breath take over. My question is, since I am "reaching" for the notes subconciously, how or what do I listen for in my sound that denotes strain? So far, to my ears, the difference seems to be unintelligible. Any takers? Thanks in advance for the respnses.
-efwd
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been studying with a former Stamp student a little bit as well. The things to listen for require a lot of effort. Listen to make sure the note is note thin sounding. Even when buzzing, the sound should be full and round with a very pronounced core.

Also, I don't know how much your teacher deals with the physical aspects when playing, but they are important to understand as well. To get the efficient sound, the muscles have to work properly. I had a lesson today and had a couple of breakthroughs with the Stamp ideas. Make sure you are always thinking forward. I noticed that when things got tense with me, I wasn't following through well enough with the air. The other thing that really helped me was to put a finger on each side of my lips and feel the muscles on the sides react to the air instead of letting the center of my chops grip and cause tension.

Although some may not agree with this, I'm finding for me that a key to getting the right sound when doing the mouthpiece buzzing is to balance the volume of air with the air speed. Maybe you think of it in a different way, but regardless, if you are trying to put too much air through the mouthpiece, it is inefficient just as using too little air is.

See if you might be able to record your teacher playing some of the studies so you have a reference every day. If you can't, the next best thing is Bert Truax's Basic Brass DVD. Just picked one up today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jouko
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Also, I don't know how much your teacher deals with the physical aspects when playing, but they are important to understand as well. To get the efficient sound, the muscles have to work properly. I had a lesson today and had a couple of breakthroughs with the Stamp ideas. Make sure you are always thinking forward. I noticed that when things got tense with me, I wasn't following through well enough with the air. The other thing that really helped me was to put a finger on each side of my lips and feel the muscles on the sides react to the air instead of letting the center of my chops grip and cause tension."
Thanks man, that answer is GOLDEN. My plying opened like thunder.
It is so easy to begin to smile and destroi everything.

Kindly Jouko M / Helsinki Finland
dlang

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestion by tcutrpt to try Bert Truax's DVD is a great suggestion. I've been taking lessons from Bert for a few months now and as a comeback player I cant tell you how much this approach has helped me. The nice thing is the DVD gives you the ability to hear what the sound is supposed to 'sound' like. Adjectives are nice but somewhat meaningless without some kind of prior aural reference. Keep working for that fat, entered sound... Oh no! more adjectives!
jouko
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dlang,

Yes, adjektives are meaningless when Håkan Hardenberger plays in live.

He was a student of J.Stamp and I have had pleasure to talk about Stamp

with him.
Kindly Jouko M / Helsinki Finalnd
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlang, second your opinion of Bert Truax's DVD. I wish I lived closer to him so I could take lessons. Just watching the DVD and listening to, what you think are simple principles, really made a difference. Some of the things I already knew but didn't totally get finally clicked. Sometimes it's the most obvious things we miss.

Mike
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-04-27 05:55, Trptbenge wrote:
dlang, second your opinion of Bert Truax's DVD. I wish I lived closer to him so I could take lessons. Just watching the DVD and listening to, what you think are simple principles, really made a difference. Some of the things I already knew but didn't totally get finally clicked. Sometimes it's the most obvious things we miss.

Mike

I third that opinion. I studied with Bert pretty regularly from 95-99 and he was a tremendous help. In addition to the Stamp routine we covered Charlier, Bitsch, some excerpts, and solos. The Stamp scale studies on pic are another great idea I got from him. When I visited a few weeks ago, Bert mentioned that he and Jon Lewis are appearing together at a trumpet festival in Florida next year. When I have some more details I'll post them here.

Keep it simple,

Matt

[ This Message was edited by: mcstock on 2004-04-27 18:19 ]
jouko
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gentlemen,

I don't need any DVD.

Kindly Jouko M / Helsinki Finland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: