• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is Caruso compatible with SC or Balanced Embouchure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can one do both?

J. Freedman, Jr
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the "Embouchure Matter??" post (a fairly recent one) for more info on this subject. The short answer is that, since CC is meant to take your mind off your embouchure, it's not terribly compatible with a focused/directed embouchure change. The idea behind CC is to let your body figure out how to play most efficiently without other distractions (in other words, to let your chops find their own best setting). If you are trying to build a particular embouchure, I'd stick with the material for that developing that embouchure, not CC.

Now. You can certainy do Caruso independently of the embouchure development, as a warmup, but it may hinder your SC development or vice versa. Since Jeff's Balanced Embouchure method (system, whatever) also works to help your body guide itself without conscious thought, I think (opinion here!) it'd be compatible with CC. In contrast, SC is very physically chop-oriented, at least initially, and needs conscious intervention to get going. Not necessarily a bad thing, and for many a huge help, but most likely the opposite of CC. I'd lay off CC while doing SC.

FWIW, coming from me - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: