• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adam Schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this may belong in the schools section, however, it might do some good here, if people post some colleges that they have personal experience with, that have trumpet professors that were students of Mr. Adam. Kind of a list of some good places to go if you want to follow that methodology. I'm sure Pat would have some good suggestions, besides his own school which is going to be one of the best of course, with him and John Rommel there.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this gets dangerous because I'm certain to leave some schools or some teachers out. The Bill Adam Tribute website has a pretty comprehensive listing.

Just to clarify, I don't teach trumpet at IU. I did teach trumpet for the 13 years I was at CCM in Cincinnati. My current university teaching schedule is full to the brim with Jazz Band, combos, improv, and jazz history classes. I do teach trumpet students outside of school in my free time. Bloomington is full of great players & teachers-always has been. Of course, Mr. Adam himself, who is in his 80s, still teaches quite a bit and still sounds fantastic. If you ever want to grab a lesson with him, his address and phone number are posted on that Adam Tribute site. In addition, John Rommel (who also has a good bit of the Chicago school in his approach) and Dominic Spera also do a good bit of freelance teaching in Bloomington.

Off the top of my head I can think of these places with excellent Adam students as teachers (in no particular order):

University of Oklahoma-Karl Sievers
U. Wisconsin-EauClaire-Bob Baca
U. Alaska-Fairbanks-John Harbaugh
Citrus College (metro LA)-Bob Slack
U. Nevada-Las Vegas-Walter Blanton
Capitol University (Columbus, OH)-Jim Stokes
Univ. of South Florida-Jay Coble
Chico State U. (Calif.)- Rick Winslow
Northern State U. (So. Dak.)-Grant Manhart
Whitworth College (Wash.)-Dan Keberle
U. of Central Florida-John Almeida
Kutztown U. (PA)-Kevin Kjos
Charlie Davis teaches several places in the LA area, including summers at the Henry Mancini Institute.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2001-12-17 20:40 ]
Kevin Kjos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pat!

Thanks for moderating this forum. Great stuff and a joy to read. We can never quit learning from each other. Give Mr. Adam my best if you see him. He's an incredible inspiration.

Kev
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Pat, now aren't you glad you got Kevin on the list !! J/K!
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've taken a few lessons with Karl Sievers over the past year and always come away glad that I made the trip and ready to get down to the work of making what I've learned into a habit. His studio really seems to be thriving.
Also, while it's not a replacement for a live teacher (or the videos) Kevin Kjos' DMA dissertation, "Reflections on the Teaching of William Adam" was fascinating. Full of biographical, pedagogical and philosophical insights.
Best wishes,
Matt Stock
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can add Greg Wing to the list of Adam students teaching at the university level. Greg just accepted the trumpet professor position at Morehead State University in Kentucky.

Congratulations, Greg!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: