• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Upper Register Shutdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I ascend into the upper register I "hit the wall" at high C. My lips just quit buzzing. I know it's not inadequate air pressure b/c I'm filling all the way up when I breath and blowing hard enough to spray water droplets all over my bell and make it fog. I've tried every embouchure manipulation from puckering in to stretching to pivoting the horn all different ways. Does this sound like an embouchure problem or could it be equipment related? I play on the standard 3C?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get just air, your aperture is too open.
If you are blocking all air from escaping, your aperture is too tight.
If you are pressing, stop it!
If you're closing off your throat (with your tongue) -- stop it!

Either way, it sounds like you need to relax a bit and let the air and chops do their job. Try playing a middle of the staff G quietly and as gently as you can. Take that feeling with you to the high register (as long as possible, anyway). Try a little run from C to C, or arpeggio the harmonic series (C-E-G-Bb-C) softly and gently. That'll help you relax and might help those notes speak. I betcha' you're trying too darn hard!

More advice from many others, I'm sure, but it's a start. Good luck! - Don
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you are a young player. So am I. I am only 15 years old, but this year I just feel like my level of playing has sky rocketed. I made it into one of the highest high school ensambles in the nation and I made 2nd chair. I came from the lowest band in the school to my present state. I attribute much of this to my teacher.

I am not bragging, I am saying all of this to just let you know that my range is definatly NOT why I made the band that I did. I had kind of the same problem with you. It really sucks doesn't it. Just kind of feels like your brain tells your lips to do something and your lips go "what?!?!" This is what I did. My teacher told me to play the concert F scale at a moderate tempo and loudly. Upon reaching the top note, hold it out for about two times the time it took you to play the scale. Now, stop and rest a while. Now, do the exact thing over again except upon hitting the top note, go up another half step and hold that note out for the same amount of time. Do this over and over again going up another half step everytime. Do this for a week and your lips should be very very very strong. You should, with a little practice, be able to go to the High E or F within a smaller amount of time. If this doesn't work, then it is a horn or lip problem. To me, it just sounds like weak lips. When you get above the high Bb, it takes an incredible amount of energy to just go one note up. This would cause your "wall" effect.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
1935 H. N. White Co. Cornet - Denis Wick 4B
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing I neglected to add. I play on a Bach 1X mpc. My trumpet teacher picks with me and asks me if I have to strap a board to my rear end in order to not fall into the bowl:). If I, of all people, can get to the high F (3 ledgers) in tune with that thing...you should be able to use this exercise to get that high. Good Luck and relax and have fun, as Don said. Thats what music is for...to have fun...and to show off to all the ladies in the audience:).

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few years on ya there Warbird.

There are some people, no matter how long they've been playing, who have upper register troubles. Example: Jerry Callet. Then one day, or after much work and studying, it clicks.

There are some who like Maynard, can do it all day, every day, but not be able to tell you how they do it. It comes natural. Their natural setup just "clicks."

I don't wanna scream...just give me enough to get the job done.

[ This Message was edited by: mafields627 on 2002-05-04 23:46 ]
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said correct me if I'm wrong, that doesn't mean to do it! Well, anyways, I would still try what I did. If I can do that with only having a set of chops that has had 4 years, then surly you can out blast me. Who horn are you playing? Maybe the shape of the piping, tuning slide, etc. has something to do with it.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 15:22 ]
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...beats my explaination. God with Quadruple. I love comming on here because I get to see how much of a truly bad play I am:)

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 15:24 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I agree with Quad, it sounds like your appeture is too open. I really would suggest playing softer for at least half of your practice time, and also limit your "loud" for a couple of weeks at least. Don't play as loud as you can for awhile, try and never go above mf or so for a couple weeks. Just focus on really centering everything and being as relaxed as possible. I believe your problem is very similar to the one I was having. For the past month or so, I've been doing much more soft practice (something I never did at all before) and just trying to project and move the air, but in controlled and limited volumes. It has helped me a ton! My sound is much freer and my range has gone up significantly. I was stuck at high C, and still have days that it's a challenge. I'm beginning to play Eb's with good tone and without much strain. The two key things that I focused on were the softer playing and raising my tongue level a bit more. I feel that has also helped me a great deal. As a test, try playing a simple etude like a Cicowicz flow study or Concone etude but before starting, raise the middle part of your tongue a bit more than you normally do. Play the etude with your tongue staying in a more arched position and see if it doesn't seem much easier to move over larger intervals. I did this for awhile and was amazed. It shouldn't take long to get used to it, but make a conscious effort to do it for awhile (if it in fact helps!). After it feels normal, then try expanding the range. Once the tongue is in a more efficient position, much less movement needs to be done with it in order to play higher. Just ride the air and make sure you're not overblowing. Try that and see if it helps. It was exactly what helped me progress in the right direction. I'm even getting E's to come out every once in awhile. Again, soft practice and A LOT of soft practice, and try experimenting with the tongue arched a bit more..it will take some getting used to, but it really helped me and I have some of the same playing issues as you, so maybe our problems are one in the same! I hope this long-winded rave helps some! Good luck!

Matt Cyr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that if in fact these things help, and you feel much more confident going into the upper register, then DON'T think about it any more. Hear the pitch in your head and just completely trust that you'll be able to play it! Once you feel that you've got things going, this will be much easier to do. Don't think about it though when things are clicking, just do it. You'll suprise yourself!

matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 15:24 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: