• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wanted to share this from another Forum...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptwannabe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from me in "High Range Development" Forum:
"I started playing at 10, was All-State, etc., studied with college teachers through high school, eventually majored in trumpet in college and was probably in the top 3 or 4 of trumpet players as a senior at my school. Essentially classically trained, but did play in the jazz ensemble (3rd part). Although while practicing, I occasionally played above double G (above high C), my practical playing range with control and some power was about Eb or E above high C.

After 2 layoffs of 10 and 14 years I'm starting to get back to playing again. The question is...do you believe that there is sort of an absolute physical limit to any one individual's chops ability to develop the upper register and "own it" as they say? Is it a gift, or can anyone get to the point that you can paste a double G, play lead, etc. with the proper air flow, training, and practice? My experience in college tells me no. You either have high chops or you don't." (END)

I got a lot of feedback, you can check it out at "High Range Development » » Individual absolute range limitations ???? "

And then this... for encouragement to all "combackers" out there:

"I just had to come back on this one... 2 days after the original post where I was worried about a physical top-out at D after a 14 year lay-off, on Sunday May 2nd, I'm practicing some Colin Lip Flexibility studies and without really thinking about the "E" that's in the study I'm on, I just play away and before you know it I'm at the end and all the notes came out! I had to go back and do a double take because I said to myself, "Was that just a big fat hairy E that just flew out there???" Sure enough, it was, and I did it over and over again. Then on Friday, May 7th, I'm doing CG's Systematic Approach, Study 6 or 7 I believe, and next thing I know I'm blowing a pretty darn good F, then an admittedly weaker pinched F#, and a squeeky weak G ! At the time, I was about ready to alert the Media!! Just wanted to let you all know and thank you for your help and encouragement. Especially: swthiel, scream, CalletJazz, blaznov, and of course Jeff, who's BE book I just ordered."
Psalm 37:4/Proverbs 3:5-6/1 Corinthians 2:14
(Bb) Bach Strad 37 ML
(C) Bach Strad 229 L 25H leadpipe
Schilke 10A4a
Bach 2C
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it all comes together, life is goooood..........

I have that happen once in a blue moon, and all I can say is when it does, it is so easy and relaxed, almost casual, that I just don't remember what the big deal was about. Then the next day I lapse back into whatever it is that impedes my high range and it is hell on earth just to get to A and C above the staff. Last Sunday I was doing interval studies, and started doing 2 octave zips, starting at low G and made it to F before it all blew out. Put the horn in the case and then came back an hour later, couldn't get a decent A.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same boat.

Back in my days I could nail that GG,Now I can get there I just have to work at it some.I find that I hit them easier now days with lots of low tones as a warm up and some lip slurs.Lips slurs are where it is at as far as I am concerned.That and the 20 min Cat Anderson exercise.

Its taken about 6 months to get were I am at now.Still not where I want to be but it takes time to get the air support back and the chops.
tptwannabe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm with you there guys. Any given day or hour can be different. Had a rehearsal Monday where it all felt easy. Just horns last night, and I was working for the A above the staff. Go figure...

And I agree with a soft, low tone (G in the staff) down to Double pedal C type of 5-10 minute warm-up with no effort lips slurs to follow as a great quickie warm up which has great results. What is the 20 minute Cat Anderson Warm-Up?
Psalm 37:4/Proverbs 3:5-6/1 Corinthians 2:14
(Bb) Bach Strad 37 ML
(C) Bach Strad 229 L 25H leadpipe
Schilke 10A4a
Bach 2C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: