• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

best orchestral recordings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there has been a few posts like this in the past, but I wanted to start one encompassing all orchestral works, especially those commonly asked on trumpet auditions. What is the one recording that everyone who is learning the piece's style, excerpts, trumpet parts, etc should own because it is as near perfection as they come? I will start by saying that I really love Mahler 5 by the Concertgebouw orchestra of Amsterdam. Their sound is so glorious, and the trumpet player sounds incredible on the solo. I also have Chicago playing Zarathustra and Ein heldenleben under Reiner which I think is fantastic.

I have been trying to get ahold of a great petrouchka recording. I recently ordered the Cleveland/Boulez recording that I'm sure will be top self. Any others I should look into?

Matt Cyr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EIN808

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that cleveland recording and it's really good. It's hard to say what is the best or most perfect recording to listen to. I remember that someone said on a mahler post that the Solti/CSO recording of Mahler 5 was not one you should listen to if your preparing for an audition. Something about Herseth plays it incredible hard and much louder then called for...but i really enjoy that recording. The level of emotion, it's so angry and raw that to me it's appealing. Maybe this is not what you are looking for but, that cleveland recording is great. Also, I've been looking for CD-reissues of old BSO/Monteux recordings, anyone know where to get these, or if they are still in print?
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorites:

Mahler 5 - NYP//Mehta
Mahler 2 - NYP/Bernstein (from the 80s)
Mahler 3 - CSO/Solti
Sibelius 2 - NYP/Mehta
Resphigi Pines - CSO/Reiner

Gee... guess who my two favorite players are....

I'm in my office now and that's just what comes to mind. No matter how many recordings I get, I keep coming back to those.

[ This Message was edited by: trumpjosh on 2002-05-07 08:53 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. That was exactly the type of info I was looking for. It was Chicagoman that said the Solti recording wasn't good to listen to for style in the solo. I think bud sounds great on it, but as any piece, many interpretations work. I'm still trying to find certain pieces to fit together for my own style. Thanks guys! Hopefully more will follow with some of their favs.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: