• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Don's Background

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had planned to edit this down a lot, but the heck with it... Shows I ain't much a player, but better y'all should know than not. Virtually all of this has been presented in various threads before, so no new secrets revealed.

In 1971 (I think -- 7th grade) I started on cornet. We'd just moved to Mississippi from Minnesota -- culture shock! The MN BD said I didn't have the chops for trumpet and suggested sax. Even before Kenny G, I knew better, and resigned myself to something other than band in my extra period. But, my parents tried again (as I recall, I didn't really care), and the MS BD said sure! I had to take lessons as the rest started in 5th grade. I joined the band the second semester and moved to first chair a year later. Just to spite that Yankee BD, I'm sure!

Played through HS and a move to KS (bigger school; two bands) where I wasn't as highly ranked (nor did I deserve to be). I started playing with some local groups and toured most of KS, plus a few trips to OK, MO, etc. I worked on my sound skills and was soundman for a few groups, including some well-known country (gasp!) and Christian groups. Paid better and was easier than playing! Even helped master a couple of records, and became a licensed audio consultant along the way. By HS graduation I knew I didn't like the road -- too many late nights followed by long days, too much smoke, too little pay, etc. Despite playing in the District band and a couple of scholarship offers, I went to college to study medicine and engineering. Engineering won. Knowing a decent engineer makes a good living, while a great musician can starve, plus pressure from parents and grandparents, sealed my fate. I'll always wonder if... I laid off a few years, played one (college Jazz Band), then put it away for most of the next twenty. I did take a graduate acoustics class to supplement my practical sound reinforcement and recording experience – hideous math, dry text, but worthwhile if I could remember it!

Four years ago I gave in to a friend who'd been pestering me to join his church band. We (my wife and I -- she's a terrific accompanist, and quite understanding of my trumpet playing) joined the church in the fall. I joined the band the next Feb, with a week of playtime after twenty off. That first year was pretty harsh -- prayers a plenty, I'm sure! I decided I needed help, as my old, bad ways came back quickly, spurred by the need to play those high Easter descants after only a couple of months. I took lessons from Jim Donaldson, but my schedule (he was always very accommodating) was too rugged to meet often and I felt I wasn’t improving enough. He was a terrific help, and definitely leaned the Chicago way. Most of you know him better as The Schilke Loyalist. He's a great player and fantastic guy; I still try to see him when I head up to Denver (not often, I'm afraid).

I then started studying with David Zuercher, Principal of the Colorado Springs Symphony. He's an amazing player and most recently a student of Arnold Jacobs (started with Leon Rapier). I take lessons weekly, over lunch, as he's just up the street from work. I've found his playing and teaching style similar to Jim's, though he's a full time pro and Jim's a lawyer during the day. (Helps explain Jim's incredible memory and seemingly infinite knowledge of everything trumpet related.) I joined the Pikes Peak Philharmonic last year as a sub, and played about 2/3 of the concerts -- every part from third to (asst) principal. It's a great learning experience, and the principal (Dr. David Martz) is an extremely nice gentleman who goes out of his way to help a jazzer like me sound legit. And, of course, I still play at church, in the Praise Band plus offertories (mix of Praise and classical/baroque just for fun), and play at the later (traditional) service now and then, with the choir for specials or solo. It’s really just to make the sopranos work harder, but don’t tell them!

As most who've read my posts know, I tend to be awfully analytical and have, as Jeff Smiley said, more curiosity than a cat! I'm quite taken with the Chicago style, and feel it's a lifetime of learning and playing before me to get it right. I think there's a lot of Chicago in everybody! Hopefully I can learn more by serving as your Co-Moderator, and maybe throw out a few things for others to think about now and then. In my spare time, I help coach soccer, coach baseball, serve as Cubmaster, practice, and work. Not always in that order!

Humbly yours,
Don

Horns: Flip Oakes WT, NTC (Nice Thing C), and MYF (Mellow Yellow Flugel), Kanstul 1520 picc; Bach Strad 37 lacquer, retired; Olds Ambassador cornet, now in the hands of my son (who just decided he wants to play French Horn – aarrghhh! I’ll have to work on him this summer… )
Mpcs: Schilke 14 or 14B, FO 3 or 5, Bach 1B (practice), Marcinkiewicz 7CW, and a whole shelf of others less used. FO 3 or 5 on NTC, and Schilke 14B4x on the wee beastie.
Lowest note: double pedal C, or maybe a bit below
Highest note (recorded by my teacher): a weak triple E on my WT with a Bach 1B. An octave plus below some of the monsters on TH!
Useful range: Maybe high F or G on a good day. With good Chicago sound, probably a C in the staff!
Favorite solos: Prayer of St Gregory, Even in the Darkness, There is a Longing in My Heart, usual others
Most recent tpt books: Balanced Embouchure, Song and Wind, Legacy of a Master, The Man Behind the Horn
Method books: Way too many to list here!
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANY MANY THANKS FOR DOING IT!!!

<psst!...don't come cryin' to me...hehe!!>

Roddy o-iii<O

PS..seriously...well done!
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,
Thanks for the background, it's good to have you on board.________________
Bruce Donnelly
Mobile, Al.
251-661-0545

[ This Message was edited by: histrumpet on 2002-05-12 12:33 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So howse it going Mr.H??

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, so good, Roddy! My main problem is that I'm insanely busy lately with non-trumpet related stuff. Hopefully it will die down soon and I'll be able to add some more topics. John's been busy, too, but we're going to keep the ball rolling (singing?) in the wind!

BTW, what's with all the short posts today -- trying to rack up to "Heavyweight" status as fast as possible? When're you gonna' get Mr. Herseth added to your interview site?

Take care, Roddy, and thanks for the note! - Don
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, what's with all the short posts today -- trying to rack up to "Heavyweight" status as fast as possible?

...DAMN!!--yer too clever for me
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and me...

hahha!! Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: