• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bert Truax

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Truax came to give a masterclass at TCU today. He studied with Stamp for quite awhile and had some great things to clear up for me. Has anyone heard him play? He played with the Dallas Symphony for 23 years and had a year with Philladelphia thrown in there somewhere. He is an incredible player and I learned a lot from the masterclass. He really understands the Stamp concepts well.

Matt

[ This Message was edited by: tcutrpt on 2002-12-08 00:46 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second everything you said! Bert was a bigger help than anyone else getting my playing together. In addition to doing the Stamp routines we also spent time on the Charlier, Bitsch & Reynolds etudes, plus some Schlossberg & Arban. I'm still striving for the same solid, "meaty," core to the sound he gets. I put a few of the things I got from him on my website: http://www.geocities.com/vienna/strasse/7826/bert.html

The "Stampfests" were always a lot of fun. I remember one time we had 13 trumpeters crammed in his living room going through the buzzing routine. After an hour or so of getting everyone buzzing well (about half the group were new students or first timers) we played the first exercise on the horn in unison and the sound was unbelievable.
Bert also studied with Bill Adam for a year at I.U. before transfering to Curtis, although he never said much about Mr. Adam in lessons. Watching the Bill Adam videos however, I can see some influence on how Bert teaches. The focus on the sound and some little visualization things mostly.

Later,
Matt Stock

[ This Message was edited by: mcstock on 2002-12-07 14:44 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our group had the same result after everyone had played through the exercises on the mouthpiece. Twenty some odd trumpet players playing nearly perfectly in tune and filling the room with ease. I'm a believer now! He also had a lot of people do an exercise that I find interesting. He had us put our thumb and middle finger on the teeth to either side of where the mouthpiece actually is placed and bite down. It gives a very clear understanding of the muscles involved in playing and how they should actually work. I find that I haven't been doing this exactly the way he descibed and I plan on doing a lot with it over Christmas break. I'll definitely post my results.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick, shameless plug for my old teacher.

Bert will be doing his "Stamp it Out" presentation at ITG at 1:00 on Wednesday. For anyone wanting to know more about the Stamp book & how to use it best this the place to start. Also, Bert has an instructional DVD coming on the market soon that will cover many of the same ideas.

I've got a summary of this approach to the Stamp routine posted at: http://www.geocities.com/vienna/strasse/7826/stamp.html

Best wishes,
Matt
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert's own website is up and running:

http://www.berttruax.com/

.. with info about his new DVD.

Ole
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But not yet on how to buy it!
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...although he does answer his email, and you can mail a check.
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then he mails the DVD. I've been through it about 1 1/2 times so far. He discusses elements of brass playing such as air, embouchure and tongue. He demonstrates some breathing exercises and an off-horn corners exercise and talks about other concepts like tension and relaxation. It's a pro-pedal tones, lock-the-corners-and-blow approach. It's all done with touches of humor. I'm sure Catherine is going to get some fan mail, Civil War gun buffs will enjoy one particular sidebar, and does anyone know who the golfer is?

These first lessons also prepare for Truax's demonstrations and explanations of Stamp exercises, which are centered around the patterns of warmup exercise #3, and which he plays along with the piano -- first on the mouthpiece, then the horn. This is great for someone who wants to hear the Stamp concepts explained and to be able to play along.

It runs about 34 minutes. Maybe he could follow up some day and play the whole book...
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, his web-site has been promising:

1. E-Commerce orders to come soon.

2. In several weeks we'll have a F.A.Q. page.

I've been checking daily for months.

I'm beginning to think it's one of those web-sites, (like Malcolm McNab's where a section says "under construction" and has been for as long as I can remember), that I shall abandon as "disappointing and frustrating"

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2003-10-07 09:51 ]
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked this morning, and there is now a Pay-Pal facility available.

Lets hope the FAQ page follows soon.

Andrew Tomlinson
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread here, but what the heck. I bought Bert's dvd and found it to be probably intended for younger audiences in regard to humor, but the Stamp demonstration really made up for that (or perhaps my lack of a sense of humor). Man, he can really play.
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who haven't already heard Bert had emergency brain surgery in late May. I understand he is recovering well but won't be back to full speed for some time. Details of the surgery are at: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/tpin_list/message/33238

Some friends in Dallas have started a fund to help ease the financial stress: http://www.hornhaven.com/xcart/customer/pages_h.php?pageid=10

Matt
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first I had heard about it. I just called him and it sounds like he's still the same old Bert Truax. He's getting back into playing now and says he'll be as good as new in a few more weeks. Thanks for the post, Matt.
Trumpet Dude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, tcutrpt, do you know John Hienen?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: