• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Quick breath exercise and abdomenal support

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stamp book has a quick breath exercise where you practice taking a quick breath (ie. a re-breath) while trying to release mouthpiece pressure during the breath. The goal is to increase endurance during long passages.

In his guide to Stamp, Poper advises..."If you maintain diaphragm support during the quick breath, you can realease the mouthpiece....When the large muscles of the diaphragm and abdomen are successfully engaged maintaining the support during the quick breath, the smaller muscles of the embouchure can works less. The result is an increase in endurance."

I find that this is a helpful exercise, especially for learning to take breaths between notes at top line F and higher. Keeping the "abs" engaged does seem to keep the body energized so you can release the pressure and relax the embouchure ever so slightly and still be ready to play the next note. -----

I've been aware that use of the abs can help in playing high notes by giving greater support and allowing you to use a more relaxed embouchure. This is the first time I've heard of the concept being used to help in allowing you to relax the embouchure during a breath.

Have I got this right? Does anyone else practice this?
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone else practice this?

Yes, sparingly, and, very carefully so as not to build tension in the breathing process. The trick is to learn the quick breath while maintaining stability in the embouchure and not building tension. It can be very useful for some orchestral passages which seem to go on and on w/o much space for a breath.
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a related exercise that David Baldwin suggested in his article Seven Secrets to Endurance. He suggests playing an Arban etude, and where there is a quarter rest to breathe, practice it first with 3 quarter rests and actually take the moutpiece away from the lips and feel the blood flowing back while taking the breath. Then do it with 2 quarter rests while getting the pressure off while breathing. Finally practice with the quarter rest and get as much of the pressure off the lips as possible while taking the quick breath. ---the idea always being to relieve pressure when breathing.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7 secrets of endurance article is in the Dec. 1996 ITG Journal. I don't have the Baldwin warm up. I believe his e-mail is on the U of Minnesota school of music site.
The Glidd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the quick breath excercise all the time. And I think I would go crazy if I thought too much about the ab support.

I took lessons with poper, but it always helped me to think about the support as really meaning not to let go of the intensity of sound on the breath. To instead imagine the line continuing through the breath instead of letting your entire body go as would maybe on a multimeasure rest.

I also do these terribly slow, at a about eighth = 70 to make sure I'm making all the notes the same, and not rushing through the breath while ensuring that I'm taking the breath and resetting while saying "hup" effectively.

I think for me anyway, concentrating on ab support just introduces undo tension into your body.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: