• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Active Topic List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
It is clear that a few people, myself included, have posted on the SC forum these last couple of days by accessing the thread via the active topic list on the homepage.
Could that list be just that, a list, rather than live links, or maybe only link to topics on the open/general forums. I will certainly be more careful in future to see in which forum I have landed in by using the homepage links, but new contributors etc could still stumble on threads and dedicated forums and make contributions that are unwanted by the folk who use those forums regularly.
yours
Brian Jones
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ WRITES:

>>>Could that list be just that, a list, or maybe only link to topics on the open/general forums.<<<

...I think the great thing about TH is that for someone seeking advice or help it's an advantage to get the MOST info possible to be able to make a valued judgement themselves.

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-16 02:51, Roddyo-iii<O wrote:
BJ WRITES:
>>>Could that list be just that, a list, or maybe only link to topics on the open/general forums.<<<

...I think the great thing about TH is that for someone seeking advice or help it's an advantage to get the MOST info possible to be able to make a valued judgement themselves.
Roddy o-iii<O

Hi Roddy
I tend to think in those terms too. If I need to know something I would like all the help I can get and then sift through it to decide what to ignore and what to take on board. BUT, it is an SC forum and they don't want non SC players posting on it, that is clear. So why not let them have what they want without someone like me blundering into it by mistake? I won't make the mistake again but I bet others will.
I remember laughing to myself once when someone said he'd asked the moderator of a forum to remove John Mohan because he didn't like his posts, but the guy had only posted a couple of time in 3 months. (if all posters were like him the complainer there wouldn't be any forums - I'd prefer to have some posts to look at and to chose whether or not to ignore someone, than have a post or so a month).
So I'll leave the SC to them in future but I'm sure they'd be far happier if the rest of the folk here did the same.
all the best
Brian Jones
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that this was a free exchange of information. I think that even if it is a dedicated forum, if someone posts, it usually is going to be somehow related to the thread. If it's a thread on a dedicated SC forum and someone who doesn't use SC decides to post, oh well, educate them (me!). That's the beauty of this forum in general.

My biggest gripe about the active forums list is that it isn't as long as it used to be due to that huge advertisement sitting right above it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-16 11:51, trickg wrote:
I thought that this was a free exchange of information. I think that even if it is a dedicated forum, if someone posts, it usually is going to be somehow related to the thread. If it's a thread on a dedicated SC forum and someone who doesn't use SC decides to post, oh well, educate them (me!). That's the beauty of this forum in general.

Hi Patrick
Fair comment mate, but from the current active thread on the SC forum I see that neither the SC posters or the moderator of the Caruso forum think it's a good idea for non adherents to post on their forums. I'll respect that view, but if you wish to post there, I expect they'll think it's unwanted clutter.
all the best
Brian Jones
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-16 17:34, bj wrote:
Quote:

On 2002-05-16 11:51, trickg wrote:

Hi Patrick
Fair comment mate, but from the current active thread on the SC forum I see that neither the SC posters or the moderator of the Caruso forum think it's a good idea for non adherents to post on their forums. I'll respect that view, but if you wish to post there, I expect they'll think it's unwanted clutter.
all the best
Brian Jones

Hi Brian,

Don't you think if someone has a question concerning the thread on a particular subject like SC, that they should be able to post to be able to gain more knowledge on the subject?

I would hope the if members of TH have a question they would feel free to ask. Now I certainly agree and I would not offer advice on a subject (forum) that I was not versed in. However I would hope that I would be able to ask a question to further my knowledge.

Regards,
Phil

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2002-05-16 19:32 ]
Kenman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always assumed the dedicated forums are a place to find info about certain subjects.. not dedecated to keeping certain people out.

Thanks
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-16 19:28, PhilPicc wrote:
Don't you think if someone has a question concerning the thread on a particular subject like SC, that they should be able to post to be able to gain more knowledge on the subject?
I would hope the if members of TH have a question they would feel free to ask. Now I certainly agree and I would not offer advice on a subject (forum) that I was not versed in. However I would hope that I would be able to ask a question to further my knowledge.
Regards,
Phil

Hi Phil
I agree that one should be able to ask questions. However I also think that any question posted on the SC forum is treated with suspicion, seemingly if the poster is not known, and the question not couched in terms and phrases that the SC people believe is genuine, then, at best, the post is ignored.
This is just a personal point of view but I don't think that initial suspicion of every post will ever stop, I assume they've had some ridicule or wars or something years before I ever arrived.
As to posting replies, non SC folk are clearly unwelcome even if the SC folk choose to ignore the original question. In this particular instance I think an SC poster answered after maybe 3 other (non SC) posters chipped in. However, when the answers from SC people came they seemed to question the intentions of the young person involved and intimate that non SC exponents should not post. I'll go along with their wishes.
Looking at it coldly and sensibly I think I was wrong to want the links taken out from the homepage, but being practical I think that as every question is treated with suspicion, and non SC posters aren't wanted, people will post by mistake, there'll be more suspicion and nastiness.
However in the light of all the views here, maybe the status quo is the best solution.
cheers
Brian Jones
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY! Don't change the active topics! I like it. You know where the action is! If you stumble into a forum by mistake, live and learn. Don't follow the live links then.

As long as I'm on the subject. At work I'm on Netscape and it picks up the active forums, but at home I'm on AOL 7.0 and it never shows up on the home page. How can I get to show up? Thanks!
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY! Don't change the active topics! I like it. You know where the action is! If you stumble into a forum by mistake, live and learn. Don't follow the live links then.

As long as I'm on the subject. At work I'm on Netscape and it picks up the active forums, but at home I'm on AOL 7.0 and it never shows up on the home page. How can I get it to show up? Thanks!
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-21 16:56, JoeCool wrote:

Hi
I think that's the conclusion I eventually came to in the last post. But thanks for pointing it out.
all the best
Brian Jones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: