• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help! I'm screwed...NO LONGER!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stretchknife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that school starts back in a month. I committed a cardinal sin - I have not practiced in 2+ months! (I deserve all bashing, but please respond with HELP, not HURT!!!)

I am starting a new degree program. How do I get back into shape QUICKLY - in 30 days OR LESS??!!??!!??!!

Please help.
Sincerely,
Screwed in Summerville

[ This Message was edited by: stretchknife on 2004-07-20 11:37 ]
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we'll put off the sermon for later ...

Since it's only been a couple of months, it's probably not as bad as if you'd been off for a couple of years. That said, here's some advice for you.

First suggestion: start playing now and don't wait for additional advice.

Second suggestion: when you start playing, be gentle with yourself.

Third suggestion: work on getting your sound back before you worry too much about range.

Fourth suggestion: generally speaking, if your previous routine was working for you, use the same methods (but less of them initially) to rebuild.

Fifth suggestion: be aware that your endurance will probably not be what it was, so rest a lot. Practice in 15 minute intervals. Don't practice on tired chops. Lots of short sessions will probably build you back faster than on marathon session.

We can probably give more targeted advice if you'll let us know:
  • What was your routine before?
  • Was your routine working for you?
  • What are your goals right now?

Good luck, keep us posted!

Matthew 25:31-46
stretchknife

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. My routine was basically:

Buzz
Flow Studies
Scales
Clarke
Schlossberg
Articulation
Transposition
Picc (a few days/week)
Etudes
Solos

No time quotas or anything like that in my normal routine. Just paid attention to getting it all done.

The goal is to not sound as if I didn't practice for 2 months when school starts!
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you've done some playing both yesterday and today!

I assume this routine was working for you, so there's probably no need to make radical changes. I was hoping that some other people (you know, the ones who know what they're talking about?) would chime in here. But you're in luck, since I have extensive experience in recovering after time off, having done it so darn many times!

Now that I've seen your routine, I wouldn't change the advice I offered in my previous note. I will share with you that when I'm rebuilding, I do lots of long tones and lip slurs initially. I find that these bring back my sound and my endurance.

After a few days, when I feel like I'm getting some control back, I move on to Clarke, etc. I don't play picc, but if I did, I'd probably wait at least a week or two to get back to it. One thing a couple of people who are MUCH better players and musicians than I am have suggested to me is that I get back to playing tunes faster ... I do tend to obsess about technical stuff and put off tunes. (My wife prefers that too ... the songs in the back of the Arban method are a lot more interesting for her to listen to than low-register long tones!)

Work on sound (for me, that = long tones).
Don't play when your embouchure is getting tired.
Multiple short (15 minutes or so) sessions each day are probably better than one marathon session each day.
Get to playing songs a.s.a.p., even if it's only for your own amazement.

Now, stop reading and start playing! Now!

Again, keep us posted!

fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I start back playing after I have taken a little while off, the hardest thing for me to get back other than sound is clean tonguing.
sdgtpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have taken a little bit of a long vacation and I'm ready to come back... this is what I do.
1. Pray
2. Listen to CD's, Attend live concerts, etc... get excited about playing the trumpet again.
3. all the things you have read above... except I focus on the soft side of playing at first and I try to do a few minutes of soft picc playing each day as well.
4. Once I am getting my sound and things back as soft dynamics, I'll stretch out a little and get into some more heavier and louder playing (only 20=25 minutes or so)
5. I'll even play a little, watch TV, play a little, get on the computer, play a little, listen to a CD, play a little etc.....
I like to try and play as often as I can (face willing) but with as many resting intervals as I can.

maybe once a week or so just go nuts... have a loud high hard day... really beat yourself up, then do another light day after that.
As I type all this.... I'm glad I haven't taken my summer off.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-18 23:09, sdgtpt wrote:
When I have taken a little bit of a long vacation and I'm ready to come back... this is what I do.
1. Pray
2. Listen to CD's, Attend live concerts, etc... get excited about playing the trumpet again.
3. all the things you have read above... except I focus on the soft side of playing at first and I try to do a few minutes of soft picc playing each day as well.
4. Once I am getting my sound and things back as soft dynamics, I'll stretch out a little and get into some more heavier and louder playing (only 20=25 minutes or so)
5. I'll even play a little, watch TV, play a little, get on the computer, play a little, listen to a CD, play a little etc.....
I like to try and play as often as I can (face willing) but with as many resting intervals as I can.

maybe once a week or so just go nuts... have a loud high hard day... really beat yourself up, then do another light day after that.
As I type all this.... I'm glad I haven't taken my summer off.
Ach!! I can't believe I left out the part about playing softly!! When rebuilding, I try to stay mid-volume to soft -- my experience is that I can get my mf sound back together pretty quickly, which gives me some hope for the ppp.

_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a picc performance coming up I would lay off the picc for a few weeks until you get most of your chops back.

Just follow the above advice, use common sense and you should be fine. If you find you are pushing it too hard take a day off and let the muscles rebuild.

Best of luck,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure your priorities are in the right order. Your 1st priority is
to not only sound as good as possible but also be confident about your
playing. Your 2nd priority (or even further down the list) should be covering
up indiscretions of the past couple of months. If you dwell on pulling the wool
over the eyes of the people that will hear you, you may end up trying too hard
too soon. Make sure your goal is the right one.

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make your first and last session of the day ppp long tones, many say middle G, but that is just bone numbing dull. Play something like 'Creep' by Radiohead (just the melody line, save the obligato part for another purpose) or any of dozens of pop tunes or melodic tunes out of Arban's. The emphasis is make it all wind, and tone. Keeping it soft will help center your playing, and get the muscle memory back where it needs to be.

Don't feel bad, my son hasn't had the flugel out of the case for about 2 weeks, and is going through the same thing right now. I remember a thousand years ago when I was in school you knew in the first 15 minutes of that first rehersal who had practiced and who didn't.
stretchknife

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, especially about priorities! When I took on the right mindset, to work towards getting my sound back and not so much just out of this hole I'm in, I've made a lot more progress!

Thank you thank you thank you!

~S
Bobcats Rule!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: