• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who were Stamp's teachers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fedtpt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

I am a trumpet student at UW-Milwaukee currently studying with Kevin Hartman. I am doing a paper on famous trumpet pedagogues and their teachers and am having troublefinding the teachers of James Stamp.

Who were Stamp's teachers?

Thank you in advance!

~Mike Fedyszyn
fedtpt@yahoo.com
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He certainly studied with Max Schlossberg.

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-12-03 14:43 ]

Last edited by Atomlinson on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also found this reference on the net:

"....Jimmy Stamp did study with Louis Maggio for a very short time and then went on to develop his own system." (Carlton MacBeth, Maggio System)

Stamp was principal trumpet of the Minneapolis SO from 1927-1944, he was about 23 years old in 1927. Schlossberg died in 1936, so that gives some idea of possible dates when he could have had lessons.

In 1944 he left the orchestra and went to Los Angeles. He played in the Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra for ?? years, and went on to a successful career in the film studios and radio and television-it was probably in this period he had a few lessons with Maggio.

I have got some information about Stamp from Malcolm McNab's website-Malcolm's Teacher's and Musical Influences.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-12-03 16:05 ]
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to "The Cambridge Companion to Brass Instruments", in chapter 14 entitled "Playing, learning and teaching brass by Ralph T. Dudgeon, Phillip Eastop, Trevor Herbert and John Wallace, it is stated that Stamp studied with Edward Llewellyn (Princ Tpt, Chicago SO):

"The origins of 'the Stamp' are interesting. Stamp developed his exercises from those of his teacher, Edward Llewellyn, of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, who in turn, had developed them from phrases used in Brahms's Symphony No.2 He was only persuaded to write them down in the 1970's through the efforts of the virtuoso Los Angeles trumpet player Thomas Stevens and the brass publisher Jean-Pierre Mathez, two kindred spirits in their efforts to raise the level of artistic brass playing. Stamp's exercises, as well as strengthening the brass player's physique, are satisfying to play, because of their foundation in quality music, which is perhaps the reason for their widespread adoption, and high success rate. (page 198) [John Wallace?]

1. Can anyone confirm that Stamp studied with Edward Llewellyn?

2. Does anyone recognise phrases from Brahm's 2nd Symphony in the drills?

According to Roy Poper's book (page 9), Ex 3 on page 5 of the 'Warm-ups+Studies' was based on a Schlossberg exercise. And see below for the influence of Cecil Reed on the evolution of the Stamp Drills.

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2004-07-21 13:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2004-07-21 16:42 ]
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting comments by Malcolm McNab in an interview on Roddy Lewis's web site:

"I have had many teachers over the 50 years I have played, but only one has given me what I really needed to get through this career - Jimmy Stamp"

"I hope that people do not sell Jimmy Stamp short and lump him into a group of methods with many others. He was an analytical genius of brass playing. In the 65+ years that he taught, Jimmy stayed completely open to anything that would make playing easier and more efficient. He was, until the end, a student himself. He always gave credit to the people who gave him new things that worked. Schlossberg, Shuebruk, Maggio, Cecil Reed, and any student who came through the door who had discovered something different that really worked."

"Cecil Reed was one of the most consistent 1st trumpet players in Hollywood, playing shows live from coast to coast on the radio. Jimmy was often sitting next to him and trying to figure out how he was so damned consistent. A lot of Reed's warm up found it's way into Stamp's routine."

Andrew Tomlinson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: