• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Translation" of Stamp Exercises

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NelleTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all –

I’ve heard that there’s a book that EXPLAINS the James Stamp warm up book’s exercises. Apparently the instructions in the book are in the wrong places. Does anyone know the title, author, publisher, where to buy, etc. on this “translation” book? Thanks.
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Danelle,
The book you want is the Poper guide to the brasswind studies of James Stamp.
You can get this from about any music retail store anywhere (I suggest the Sheet Music Service in Portland...the best!) http://www.sheetmusicservice.com
Hope this helps
Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
NelleTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trevor!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danelle,

I may be wrong, but I think that-at least for a while-Mr. Poper was teaching somewhere near you...maybe Kent St. (?).
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a recording session yesterday with a friend of Roy Poper's. He told me that Mr. Poper is teaching at both Oberlin and the North carolina School for the Arts.

Quite a commute, huh!?!
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been "lurking" for a while and have decided to register so that I can now join in the various discussions.

One thing that I have noticed in regard to the Stamp forum is that Roy Poper's Book has been mentioned on numerous occasions but why not the other contender?

I refer to the BIM publication by Jean-Christophe Wiener "How to Play James Stamp's Warm-ups". This is what Thomas Stevens says on page 31:

"Jean-Christophe Wiener has offered a very disciplined and accurate account of Stamp as Stamp by avoiding the tendency of so many to inject their own personal interpretations into their presentations (of) the master's work.
Indeed, when one reads Wiener, there are moments when one can almost hear our old friend Jimmy's voice saying those very same things."

The latest edition of Stamp's "Warm-ups and Studies" (7th Edition-1998) was actually revised and corrected by Wiener.

Wiener has included some "unpublished" exercises by James Stamp in his book.

I find both the Poper and Wiener books useful - it's just the same message from slightly different angles.

Andrew Tomlinson
Somerset England

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-05-22 11:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-05-22 15:11 ]
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, here's the complete citations for the Brass Bulletin series:

"James Stamp: Master of Listening," by Jean-Christopher Werner. Brass Bulletin, no. 100, 1997, pages 59-65.
"James Stamp: Master of Listening, Part 2," Brass Bulletin no. 101,1998, pages 135-141.
"How to Play the Warm-ups of James Stamp, Part 1," by Jean-Christopher Werner. Brass Bulletin, no. 102, 1998, pages 64-70.
"How to Play the Warm-ups of James Stamp, Part 2," by Jean-Christopher Werner. Brass Bulletin, no. 103, 1998, pages 80-85.
"How to Play the Warm-ups of James Stamp, Part 3," by Jean-Christopher Werner. Brass Bulletin, no. 104, 1998, pages 102-106.
"How to Play the Warm-ups of James Stamp, Part 4," by Jean-Christopher Werner. Brass Bulletin, no. 105, 1999, pages 114-118.
"How to Play the Warm-ups of James Stamp, Part 5," by Jean-Christopher Werner. Brass Bulletin, no. 106, 1999.
"How to Play the Warm-ups of James Stamp, Part 6," by Jean-Christopher Werner. Brass Bulletin, no. 107, 1999, pages 28-32.

If you don't have access to Brass Bulletin, print out the list above, swing by your local library and ask about Interlibrary Loan. They can probably get you photocopies in a week or two.

(Shameless plug for my professional life has now concluded)

Best wishes,
Matt Stock
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/7826/
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I didn't know about those articles. I'm going to the library to look them up tomorrow! Thanks for the info.

Editor
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A related resource I should have mentioned before is Mario Guarneri's Brass Basics & the BERP. Guarneri acknowledges that his approach to sound production is largely based on his lessons with Stamp. Once you've worked with the exercises on the CD for a while, it is pretty easy to apply the same ideas to the Stamp exercises. For more info: http://www.berp.com .
Best wishes,
Matt Stock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: