• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

blocked pistons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marrano711

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody, I am italian and I work in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. The pistons of my trumpet are blocked since I've not played it for months. Could anyone be so kind to give me a tip on how to release these pistons? Many thanks, and have a nice day.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the Trumpet Herald!

I wouldn't try to do it myself, I would find a qualified repair person rather than trying to do it myself .. it's probably not too expensive.

You might also re-post this in the Horns forum, lots of experienced people there.

Matthew 25:31-46
_Kanstul-Krazy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're meaning to say they are stuck because they've dried out over time? If that's the case, a real safe and easy thing to try before hauling it off to the repair shop would be to get some valve oil down inside those valve casings. Start by pulling your valve slides out. NORMALLY would would not pull your slides out without puching down its respective valve, BUT in your case you have no choice. If you have a tight tolerance horn you can expect a small popping sound when you pull out each slide. Squirt some valve oil down each slide tubing and let it sit over night. The next day try and push down your valves to see if it works. Hopefully things will be loosened up!

Keep us posted and let us know how you make out.

Good Luck,
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil is a good idea and you might try soaking the horn in warm water with mild dishwashing soap. The drawback to this is you will get the felts and corks wet.

You could also try oiling from the top and the bottom. What ever you do don't try to force anything.

It is a lot better and less expensive in the long run to take it to a professional.

Again welcome to TH.
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id do the valve oil thing and try to turn your trumpet over and squirt some valve oil into the casings through the bottom valve caps

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: