• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Silent Brass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks!

Just bought a used yamaha silent brass from a fellow trumpeter. What do you think about them(your review please)?

Because of time constraints, I'm usually forced to practice late at night and almost always have to use a mute so as to not wake up the rest of the family. I use an old cup mute that cuts my sound down to as low as a TV. I've always questioned a mutes effect on
hindering the benefits my practice routine.
I'm hoping it helps me to get more out of my woodsheding. At least, I'll hear myself better!
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a silent brass for a little while, but decided to return it. I'm not sure if it was a defective mute or what, but it wasn't as I remembered it to be when i tried one before. It didn't cut my sound down more than a cup mute would and I could hear my articulations a bit too well...there was a weird watery type noise every time I tongued a note. I'm sure it would be good to use late at night and you'll probably enjoy it. For me, it just wasn't worth the cost for the little amount I would use it. Just my thoughts.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While more practice time should always help, I find too much time on a practice mute wreaks havoc on my "regular" playing. The resistance changes too many things, like slotting, attacks/articulation, and the feel of the notes up and down my range -- pitch and dynamic. So, I use it as little as possible, and try to balance it with at least a little open blowing (even if it's into a blanket or a closet). I prefer it for soft playing, and studies, rather than for practicing music I'm going to be playing. But, better that than nothing!

As for the Yamaha SB, I've not tried the new ones. The older SB was more resistive than the Peacemaker I got, and at $200 vs. $40 for the Peacemaker was too high a price for me. The SB mute was also heavier, which may not matter to most. The little effects box was cool, though! Some hiss, which became annoying after a while (10-15 minutes, more or less), on the a.c. adapter -- almost none on batteries, so maybe the newer ones have cleaned up the power supply. If I had one (SB) I wouldn't trade it in, but if I was looking I'd get a Peacemaker.

Peacemaker drawbacks (just to be fair): you have to adjust the earpieces just like the instructions say, so they just hang loosely, or it'll be uncomfortable. It took me more time than I thought to do this -- when they first felt fine, after half an hour of practice they were hurting. It took a bit to figure out how to adjust them so they still felt fine after an hour or so of playing. Also, I've heard that the hole in the mute for the hose tends to open up over time, requiring one to fix it (duct tape, glue, etc.) I've not had that problem; probably don't use it enough. I most often use just the mute (sans headphones) for warming up a bit at church, especially at the later service, when I might play one song then sit for 40 minutes before playing an offertory. Good practice for some classical works, though!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've borrowed a SB system from a friend to try and I'm with Don, the resistance absolutely wrecks my regular playing. It's almost worse than not practicing at all for me. I would never use it to keep my chops up, the only time I would use it would be if I really had to learn some music for a performance if I was in a pinch for time and absolutely couldn't do it any other way.

That's just my humble opinion.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
rlspitzer

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Silent Brass system for about a year and love it. It's definitely not as good as playing without a practice mute, but it's a marriage saver!
kjb

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received a Silen Brass System as a Christmas gift a few years ago. At first I was quite tickled. The effects are interesting and it's cool to hear your sound so close to your ears, instead of way out at the end of the bell. However, I found that it didn't stand the test of time. I live in an apartment, so I thought I would be able to practice at home more often. Not so. I just couldn't stand the pressure difference. I eventually decided that the luxury of practicing at home wasn't worth the discomfort of the SB mute. I found it much easier to run in to school and practice.
But, for those with no other practice venue, it can be a valueable tool, as long as regular practice is still included when ever possible.

Cheers,

kjb
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a used one at a fairly good price over ebay. I have mixed feelings about it.

For one thing, it isn't that much quieter than an ordinary Harmon mute. I don't think it increases the back pressure significantly more than a Harmon mute but it's a lot more fuss to set up. So I don't find many situations where the small reduction in sound level is worth the extra effort. Another problem is that the normal SB trumpet mute won't fit properly in the bell of the pocket trumpet I take on business trips to practice in hotel rooms, even though a regular Harmon mute will fit. I'm going to have to lay out another US$65 for the picollo trumpet version of the SB mute.

On the other hand, when you really want to keep the sound level down, the SB has the advantage that you can feed into the SB the output of other devices, such as a CD player. So you can practice with your Aebersold or MMO CD's without others having to hear them.
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need to use mine now, but I lived with upstairs neighbors for 2 years. After 8 PM the only practicing I did was with the SS. Then I loaned it to a student for a summer trip with his grandparents. they stayed in campgrounds and he practiced with it while everyone else was napping. He made unbelievable strides with his playing during a time when otherwise he wouldn't have been able to practice. So I definitely got my money out of it. I used my own headphones with it. because of having the sound right in my ears, I don't think there is as much tendency to over blow, as with a regular practice mute. sure is nice to take the mute out though.
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly don't swear by Silent Brass, but I think it has more benefits than the currents posts have lead you to believe.

I bought SB over three years ago and use it quite frequently, especailly in the evening in my home. As a father of two young children and a wife who usually turns in early, I find SB very effective at keeping the peace in the household and allowing me to get some beneficial practice time.

As far as resistance goes, I don't have any problems what so ever with this. I guess I don't notice much of a difference. Practicing with SB is in no way a detriment to my regular playing. Also, I take the SB mute to gigs to catch a quick warm-up without bothering anyone. I did it just this past weekend just before a wedding service. It is very handy.

I must also note that when given the opportunity to practice without the SB system. I do it. I have no choice to practice my piccolo this way (I know they have a piccolo trpt. mute).

Bottom line: I think it is a worthwhile investment for any trumpeter who needs to find time to practice in less than accomodating surroundings.
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems from reading the posts, the "Jury's still out" on this one. Here's my take. I think for me personally, it works when I just want to sme relaxed and non-taxing playing. The resistance I meet is when I try to push the playing (I.E. heavy or loud). Its great in a pinch as most have noted, when you absolutely have no choice or as a quiet warm-up aid. I just can't use it on a regular basis because of the effect the backpreasure has on my chops after extended use. Some think its alot of "rigging" just to practice quietly. On the other hand, I kind of like the versatility of importing other sound sources (CD player, Home system, etc.) just for "kicks". There ya go for what its worth!
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems from reading the posts, the "Jury's still out" on this one. Here's my take. I think for me personally, it works when I just want to sme relaxed and non-taxing playing. The resistance I meet is when I try to push the playing (I.E. heavy or loud). Its great in a pinch as most have noted, when you absolutely have no choice or as a quiet warm-up aid. I just can't use it on a regular basis because of the effect the backpreasure has on my chops after extended use. Some think its alot of "rigging" just to practice quietly. On the other hand, I kind of like the versatility of importing other sound sources (CD player, Home system, etc.) just for "kicks". There ya go for what its worth!
Jeff Young

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once phoned Jerry Callet to ask his opinion of practice mutes in general. His response was that they worked well for practicing articulation but he discouraged playing high notes on them. This advice seems to work for me on the Silent Brass. Late at night I can still practice a lot of low and mid range articulation and multiple tonguing, especially from Clarke's Technical Studies. This best advice is to limit your practice to whatever is comfortable on this device.
Screamin8va

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one not to long ago for my Flug, and I think they're great for us apartment dwellers. At first I did try to force things and chopped out pretty bad, but now I notice when I'm forcing and can stop before it's a problem. One of the main reasons I like it is when I'm playing with Aeborsolds (sp?) I can hear how my soloing fits (or doesn't fit:p ) with the changes. That's my $.02!

8va
BikeLawyer

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first Silent Brass a couple years ago and love it. I hook my old Sony CD player in teh Aux jack and play along with Maynard, Miles, etc. I take the output to my old, virtually unused Cassette deck and record. I plug the output into the mic jack on my laptop and record. It's great.

Since moving into an apartment it has been a chops saver which I use every day. I have recently picked up the new Yamaha ST5, the new little effects unit. My band's first gig is next week, but I've tried the ST5 out on a couple of "sit in" sets with other bands and it works pretty well. It's got 1/4" jacks so you can go directly into just about any PA easily. There are like 50 effects, all of which can be tweaked - I'm still learning the tweaking process... too much real work to read the book.

I'm no pro, just a home/office honker in a rock/blues band who plays a bit every day, but this ST5 sounds pretty cool to me, esp the wah wah and delay effects. I got the clip on Yamaha mic, but I also use it with the Mute/Mic... so, as for me I love the SB... I pop the headphones on can play for an hour at midnight...

Steve Magas
OzTrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an SB a few of years back but I stopped using it after a while and only ever took it out late at night. It has its good points and bad points. I think the good ones have already been mentioned.

As for the bad points, I agree with Jerry Callet's comment; they're alright for practicing articulations (and endurance), or for just getting extra time on the horn, but they're not much help when you want to work on your sound.

If your choice is use the mute or don't practice, then that's not much of a choice at all. Use the mute. But personally, I need to practice on the open horn or my playing goes to crap. So I guess it's a matter of money.

As a side-note (no pun intended.... well, maybe a little), I do have a practice mute that I made from an airfreshener. I got the idea from the web, just search for "renuzit practice mute". It works ok, and it only cost me $2! (but, again, see bad points above).
Garroid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any alternatives? I mean, are there any other SB-like mutes out there???
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses folks. I wanted to try it for a while before posting on this.

It helps solve my problem (practicing late, quietly and hearing myself better) I particularly enjoy hearing the effects added to my tone. I love the church and concert hall setting.

However:

1) I do recognize the value of playing open and do at least one of my half hour sessions earlier in the evening

2) I still have the concern about the possible damage practicing with a mute(resistence) may do to my ultimate intonation(nailing notes) when I actually perform. Thus why I am doing #1 pointed out above. Some of you made some pretty strong statements about this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: