• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Something Weird I've noticed....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that I have noticed. Every single day when I come from school and I
do my Claude Gordon SA exercises and lessons. During the time that I am doing my
lessons I usually peak off at a high D or C#. But once I am done with everything and I go
eat dinner and pick up my horn 2 hours later I am able to play high E’s and F’s. Why is
this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

This is totally normal. The same thing happens with me.

The reason is because most of the material you do with Claude's stuff has you starting out low and gradually working up high through the course of the exercise or study, whether it is a Clarke, a Systematic Approach, or other exercise or study. So by the time you are getting towards the end of the 20 or 30 minute Study or Exercise (whatever you want to call it), you are getting tired. Your Breathing Muscles as well as the Muscles in your face are TIRED at this point. So your upper register will be limited a bit by this.

After you've rested for a while, if you just warm up a little and then "see how high you can go", it's going to be higher than at the end of a physically demanding study. But don't be doing this too often, as you can start overdoing it really easily if you constantly "see how high you can go".

This shows that you are playing correctly, by the way. When I first began Systematic Approach (24 years ago!), I always reached my highest note during the Part 2 exercises. That's because I was at the stage of developing the proper "feel" or "knack" of the higher notes and gradually going up through the arpeggios helped me to find and get this feel each day. But then, as I progressed and got to the point where I had developed the "feel" or "knack" of the upper register, then physical strength became the limiting factor (which S.A., Clarke and Flexibility Exercises will also continue to develop for you). And it is at this point that you might not reach your 'highest notes" during a S.A. type study. It sounds like you are developing the feel of the upper register nicely.

All for now,

John Mohan
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exact same thing happens to me.

Like John said, just getting tired by the time the highest part of the exercise rolls around.

Like lifting weights. If you bench press 4 sets the repetition will take the max power out of you.

But you're stronger when you are fresh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: