• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trip to Chicago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all please accept my apologies for not posting for some time. We have had an incredibly busy schedule the past month or so, leaving little time for the TH. June should be better.

Last week we had a week of vacation in the orchestra, so I went to the US to visit my family and make a side trip to Chicago. My Chicago trip had 3 objectives - a visit to Wayne Tannabe at the Brass Bow, to hear the CSO play Petrouchka, and of course a Giordano's pizza! Plus a trip to the mall to pick up a few things for my wife who couldn't come along this time.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Wayne Tannabe, you should be. He is an important part of the brass "scene" today in Chicago and is one of the best trumpet repairmen/technicians in the country. He offers many services from a fantastic ultra-sound cleaning method to valve alignments akin to Bob Reeves to the Cryogenic freezing, overhauls, etc. I went to see Wayne for a cleaning and valve alignment on my Mt Vernon C trumpet. I've had the valves aligned before on some horns with mixed results - on one horn I noticed very little difference. But someone recently suggested that my Mt V might play even better with an alignment as the felts Mr. Bach used in those days were not exactly the same size as those used today. Wayne did a great job on my horn. It now has a broader sound and noticeably less resistance. His cleaning method is great, too - I've never seen horns so clean! The Brass Bow is also a great place to try all the latest gadgets, everything from mutes and mouthpieces to handgrips and metal valve guides. I highly recommend Wayne and his various services.

I picked up my horn at 5:15 and then headed downtown for the concert at 7:30, thinking I'd have plently of time. I pulled into the Grant Park parking at 7:05! Chicago traffic is bad and seemed even worse than normal.

The concert was fantastic. The CSO is much younger than when I used to hear them regularly 10 years ago. The relatively new amazing 1st flute player is about 28, for example. All members of the trumpet section have been in the orchestra for less than 10 years. Craig Morris sounds great. He has a beautiful sound and a real finesse to his style. He blends well when needed and then really sings out the solos. I can't wait to hear the first CDs with Craig!

The latest ITG journal has a great interview with Craig detailing his rise to the top. It's quite a story and proves that he who works the hardest over time will prevail regardless of so called "natural" talent.

I also got together with a former teacher and old friend Dennis Najoom while I was home. Dennis made leadpipes for me for a C trumpet and a D trumpet, and both horns play much better.

Anyways I'm back here in Mexico ready for a good summer season and also ready to do more posting!

John Urness
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip, John! Next time, maybe you could arrange a stop in Denver and we could meet.

Is Dennis still making his leadpipes and puttin' 'em on for people?

All the best - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: