• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What works for you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

I was fiddlin' around between axes and doing some upper register work. I know this topic has probably been addressed in one form or another but I was wodering what fingerings you're using Between F# above the staff and Bflat? I'm noticing the slotting and sound are the major variables between the horns I'm using (Bach 72 Lightweight and Yammie Z). Just wanted to get the opinions of my TH collegues! Here's an example. On my Bach, a G above high C will slot well in the open position, while my Z slots the G better fingering 1 and 3.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have to move around between G and C (and above), for me it is easier and much cleaner to just play everything open.

I have only recently figured this out, and really fought a lot of different fingerings for a long time trying to play melodies and lines up there and be able to make it sound clean. Try it.
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Charly! That's definitely something I will work with. Two questions with your suggestion. Once you discovered that the open position worked better, how long of an adjustment period in general did it require (realizing of course that everyone is different). Secondly, does this also work just as easily for you when you move from one horn to another ie. B flat to B flat (if you even use another "axe")? Also Charly, thanks so much for the Caruso tips! Chops are feelin' better everyday!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Pedro on 2002-06-12 16:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Pedro on 2002-06-12 16:06 ]
Greatest Trumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What seems to help me is to use a good amount of "support". Using my abdominals and oblique muscles to give the support. Also taking a deep breath, expanding in the front back and sides (try not to move your shoulders upward) seems to help me.

"So live that you can look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell." -Anon
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***** Once you discovered that the open position worked better, how long of an adjustment period in general did it require (realizing of course that everyone is different). *****

No adjustment period. I immediately started playing the notes open from G on up. Works great.

***** Secondly, does this also work just as easily for you when you move from one horn to another ie. B flat to B flat *****

I've only tried this on my Shewhorn, my only Bb. I'm guessing it would be similar on most horns.

You're welcome for the Caruso tips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: