• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MOTO PERPETUO

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: MOTO PERPETUO Reply with quote

Question

Has there ever been another trumpeter who could circular breathe and double tongue this piece?
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only heard Mendez (toungue) and Wynton (slur) it.

I still to this day flip those pages over when I come to that piece!

It's just too ridiculous!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to diminish anyone's admiration for Mendez, but his sons told me this story several times in various conversations.

Rafael worked very hard on the Paganini and could play all of it pretty much flawlessly, at home. Normally, his two sons did not go to their dad's recording sessions because of school. But, on this occasion, they were really anxious to hear their pop record it, so they arranged to miss school that day.

They said that Rafael was very nervous about the recording of the MOTO. He had never performed the piece in public, nor even rehearsed it with an orchestra. At the breakfast table that morning he decided to record it in four breaths. (Still pretty amazing considering that the piece is over 4 minutes long!)

When he got the studio, he marked the best splice points in the score. He quickly wrote out a triangle (percussion) part to be played. This was so that when the editing was to be done (old analog system) the dings of the triangle would be clearly audible by the engineers. (For those of you that have not watched tape editing, the editor will slowly hand reel the tape while listening for an obvious note to stand out and cut on.)

If you listen carefully to the recording, you will hear several little dings of the triangle.....almost randomly. He added many more than 4 dings to the part so that was needed for the splice points, just to make it be more musical. But, three of those dings are splice points.

Although Mendez and his sons were a bit dissappointed that he decided to save his lip (don't forget, he recorded the rest of the album that day as well!) by not going all the way through in a straight shot, they were very pleased that only ONE TAKE WAS NEEDED for the MOTO!

Now, that's impressive!!

To my knowledge, Mendez never performed the MOTO in a concert. Does anyone out there know of a time he did?

BTW, in a clinic I attended by Mendez, he demonstrated circular breathing by double tonguing the Flight of the Bumblebee while circular breathing. I am convinced that he could have done the MOTO without technical difficulty.

Dave Hickman
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific information Dave!!!

I still think Rafael is one of the best ever ... I don't care how he did it. His "Flight of the BumbleBee" is the most authentic to date in my opinion ... sounds most like a bee for sure than any other recording I've ever heard.

My recording of Moto would certainly have a lot of dings in it!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by a friend that he saw RM do Moto in concert as an encore. He said it was amazing. I'll have to check back with him.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you in the Chicago area and are of a particular age group, you may remember when Wally Philips ruled the morning airways on WGN radio. His audience was usually around a million listeners a day. For those not in this area, Wally was MR. BIG of radio in Chicago and was at it for over 25 years. Anyway, at least once a year, he would pull out Moto Perpetuo, play it, and wait for the phone to ring. Folks would call in positively dumbfounded anyone could play like that and only a few knew he was circular breathing.
I must have heard Moto Perpetuo 500 times in my life and I am still amazed by not only the incredible virtuosity, but the astonishing musicality he played it with. He played it better than virtually any violinist I've ever heard play it and at a faster pace than some of them take it, too.
gerrit2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: MOTO PERPETUO Reply with quote

bugleboy wrote:
Question

Has there ever been another trumpeter who could circular breathe and double tongue this piece?

Sergei Nakariakov at the age of 17/18 on his Carmen Fantasy cd.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: MOTO PERPETUO Reply with quote

gerrit2 wrote:

I thought I read someplace that his recording utilized splicing. He absolutely does a great job with it, but do you know for sure that he is circular breathing? Does he perform it live?
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was splicing on the Carmen cd. Says so in the album cover. Great cd though.

Kevin
_Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer I 'digitized' some of my favourite LPs, and my Mendez were in that collection. So, I just sat down and listened to MOTO and David, you are right! Every once and a while there is a 'Ding' that sounds OK but now that you set it up for me I can really understand why it was there.

David, there are many of us who can never thank you enough for providing the space and focus for the Mendez Library. I worked for a Tempe company for a while but never had/took the time to visit the Library.

I convinced my concert band last year to try the band version of 'Flirtations' but when we got the music the arrangement was limited and poor. Love the song, hated the arrangement so we eventually passed.

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special & Ambassador trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds Opera, Ambassador Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds L-12 Flug/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Schilke MII trumpet/GR Butcher 65.6M
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care too much. Mendez was the greatest at what he did.

Listening to Mendez's and then listening to Wynton's is always entertaining. Wynton's not even close.
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: MOTO PERPETUO breathing Reply with quote

I remember reading in the liner notes that he perfected the circular breathing in this piece by practicing it 3x's on one circular breath .................Mendez is like Houdini.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 X's on one circular breath! Anyone want to guess how many notes that is?

I bet playing it just once must have been easy for him then.
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

‎‎‎

Last edited by gio trumpeter on Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
dennett
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drboogenbroom wrote:
There was splicing on the Carmen cd. Says so in the album cover. Great cd though.

Kevin

Splicing? I don't remember it saying that [at work, can't look right now]. I do recall that it said they edited out the sounds of him breathing, which torqued me to no end because to me that is part of it just like the music. But I don't recall the cover saying there were splices. You sure about that?
nespyland
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting from the Liner Notes:

"The moto perpetuo is characterized by a lightning-fast motoric impulse which keeps the listener breathless. We have reinforced this effect on our recording by eliminating the sound of Sergei Nakariakov's inhalation."

There is no mention of multiple takes or splicing of any kind.
Army Bands 2001 - 2007
=================
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Custom CT Mouthpiece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hotorangetrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nespyland wrote:
Quoting from the Liner Notes:

"The moto perpetuo is characterized by a lightning-fast motoric impulse which keeps the listener breathless. We have reinforced this effect on our recording by eliminating the sound of Sergei Nakariakov's inhalation."

There is no mention of multiple takes or splicing of any kind.

Charles is right... thats the exact quote from the liner notes....
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: MOTO PERPETUO Reply with quote

_bugleboy wrote:
gerrit2 wrote:

I thought I read someplace that his recording utilized splicing. He absolutely does a great job with it, but do you know for sure that he is circular breathing? Does he perform it live?

I have no insights about that particular recording but many of Sergei's recordings contain passages that clearly deminstrate circular breathing. I also seem to recall that there are YouTube videos where he does this and you can both see his fluency and hear the near perfection with his resulting phrasing. From what I've seen and heard I have no doubt he could manage brilliantly most anything, without splicing.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enclosed is a link to Erik Veldkamp's website which contains the Mendez arrangement of Moto Perpetuo.
http://www.erikveldkamp.nl/concertos.html
I cannot begin to imagine the sheer concentration, technique, and endurance needed to play this virtually impossible piece the way Mendez did.
R. Tomasek
Goro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: