• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A most remarkable find.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: A most remarkable find. Reply with quote

At my mother's house, there are a considerable amount of old 78s, most of which can still be played.
What does this have to do with Mendez? Just this.
Last Sunday, I was looking thru some of this collection and I found a recording of a novelty song sung by Eddie Cantor. It must from the late 30s or so. The song is called "Onezy-Twozie (I love youzie)" and there is an incredible solo in the middle of this cute little song by none other than Mendez himself. He is listed right on the label. I remember playing this record years ago, but had no idea it was still there. It appears to be very playable.

Rich Tomasek
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich:

That is a new one on me!!!

In the back of my wife's biography, MAGNIFICENT MENDEZ, there is a listing of all of the Mendez recordings (by title of tunes) which gives the label and type of record (78 rpm, 33, 45). This one was not in Rafael's collection.

Can we get a copy? Can you dub it onto a CD-R? I would love to hear it and we will place it in the Rafael Mendez Library.

Dave Hickman
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, it will be my honor. I think it is on the Pan American label. We off to visit mother tomorrow, so I will pick it up.
If I can't record it, certainly someone in the Chicago area can and if not, the record itself will be sent down to you.
Rich Tomasek
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I have the record in my hands. It is on the Pan American label and is from their "popular star" series. I did not remember that he is on the other side, too!! That side is with some woman named Joan Barton singing "Rather Do Without You, Baby". The band on both sides is the Cliff Lange's All-Star Orchestra.

I will find someone who can help me get this on CD-R. I will also get a digital picture of it to send to you, too.

I'm afraid to even touch this record.

Rich Tomasek
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich.....you are too kind!

I know it won't be easy to go from 78 rpm to digital. I appreciate what you are doing. Thanks.

D. H.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: