• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Switching from trombone to trumpet...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mch_nz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
after a break of about 15 years I've decided to get back into it. I was quite good on trombone but have decided to have a crack at the trumpet this time around.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions etc. as to making the transition? Also interested in what mouthpeice would be best suited.

Thanks,
Mark
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still play trombone, you will want what primarily trumpet players consider a 'big' mouthpiece, say a Bach 1C to Bach 3C, or the equivilent in another manufacturor brand. If you no longer play trombone, start off where we all did, with a 7C. This is the best all around one size fits all baseline mouthpiece, and will take years before you outgrow it.

Now to answer your question with a question......I recently acquired 3 trombones, and would like to know what is the smallest diameter small shank trombone mouthpiece in common use today? I know I could have a 'custom' 'piece milled for trombone, but I would rather spend that much cash getting my recently acquired 3-B up to speed.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to primarily be a trombonist, and the smallest mouthpiece I remember a handful of players using was a Bach 15C. There are smaller trombone mouthpieces that wouldn't be custom orders -- Bach goes all the way down to a 22 diameter, Schilke makes a 40B model specifically for trumpet doublers, and some of Dick Akright's "Rudy Muck" reissues are tiny. However, I never met a player during my trombone-playing days who used any of these. Like I said, the Bach 15C was the smallest I personally encountered.
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! I would recomend since you say you are switching instruments that you get an elementary beginners book like Yamaha Advantage, Standard Of Excellence etc...and buy a good trumpet like King, Yamaha, Getzen, Holton, or even Bach to learn on. Hope you enjoy the trumpet.
dalewjohnson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been playing trombone for over 20 years. My Nationalguard unit has been called up and I am going to iraq. the trombone is too big so my frien has loaned me his student yamaha to take. I have played around a bit on a euph, and i know the fingerings, any tips to develop speed? range? I played it some before i put it into the box for overseas and i coulf play a two octave F concert maj scale.

I think it is going to be hard to read the transposed scores. I have a few beginner books. should i get a trumpet arbans? I want to be able to play straight out of the church hymnal when i get back. so i am thinking i should learn to play reading C (Like tenor trombone)

it is hard to write what i mean. i play by ear on trombone really well.
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I majored in bass trombone in college. I switched after playing trumpet for 10 years or so. Then the draft came along and my music career died.
Thirty years later I started back on trumpet. I thought a big mouthpiece was the way to go; I was wrong. Having played 'bone should have no influence on your choice of mouthpiece. None. Pick a mouthpiece that fits your face and the type of music you play. A too-big mouthpiece will hurt your range and endurance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: