• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Im a Freak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this may make me sound totally crazy, but maybe someone can help me!! (Other than a good shrink) For some reason when ever I play or think aobut playing or even just come to this forum my are around my neck and throat seems to get tension in it. I don't know why, but it does!!! I've been playing SA and doing the breathing exercieses but it's still there!! ARGGGGGGHHHH!! I think I'm going insane! If anyone has had a similar problem and may have a suugestion please help me out!
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 23:10 ]
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when I practice my SA stuff I think really hard about "filling up the tank" and about keeping the chest up but then I get all tensed up and end up running out of air really fast. But other times I'm able to not even think about it and hold my breath forever. It's really weird.

i guess that the key is to just be calm and cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-21 19:04, Vessehune wrote:
Ok, this may make me sound totally crazy, but maybe someone can help me!! (Other than a good shrink) For some reason when ever I play or think aobut playing or even just come to this forum my are around my neck and throat seems to get tension in it. I don't know why, but it does!!! I've been playing SA and doing the breathing exercieses but it's still there!! ARGGGGGGHHHH!! I think I'm going insane! If anyone has had a similar problem and may have a suugestion please help me out!

Hey there Vessehune!

No, you're not a freak!!!

I went through the same thing. I think you are tensing up the back of your tongue (kind of like the way one does at the beginning of a cough). This is a typical thing to happen when one is about to do something that requires (or that they PERCIEVE to require tremendous physical effort. Like a weight lifter about to power lift a weight over their head (though they should actually blow air out their mouth as they lift the weight).

Think of blowing "through" the horn. Think of blowing "farther out in front" instead of "up" as you play higher. Think of a candle on the other side of the room that you want to blow out as you play into the upper range.

This "habit" you've developed takes time to undo. Be patient.

And I'll respond to the e-mail you sent me on Monday or Tuesday.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: