• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Did Mendez Solo With Any Major Symphony Orchestras?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Did Mendez Solo With Any Major Symphony Orchestras? Reply with quote

Yup!

In 1949 alone, he appeared as soloist with the following symphony orchestras:

New York Philharmonic
Salt Lake City Symphony
Denver Symphony
San Diego Symphony
Los Angeles Symphony

Of course, he also performed with over 100 other bands and orchestras that year.

Here's a question:

IF MENDEZ WERE ALIVE TODAY AND HITTING HIS PRIME IN THE YEAR 2000, HOW DO YOU THINK HIS SOLO CAREER WOULD HAVE DEVELOPED CONSIDERING COMPETITION BY SOME OF TODAY'S MAJOR TALENTS ON THE SOLO CIRCUIT?

D. H.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Such hypothetic questions are in a way hopeless

If Rafael had not grown up at that time (born 1906), played in his father's orchestra, played for Pacho Villa, etc. etc.... (read the rest of his bio).. he would not have had his unique background.

But if he was playing the same pieces living in 2000, how would he be placed?

I'm afraid not in jazz and not in classical, but perhaps in an "easy listening" catgory.

If he came to Flint, Michigan today there would be no work for him in the Buick Factory. Is there still a Fox Theater in Detroit? If so, do they hire trumpet players? Etc. etc.

A talent like Mendez, with such a work ethic would have made it today, no doubt. Sandoval was a great talent in Cuba. When he "moved" to US (thanks to Dizzy), he got a lot of new opportunities.

Ole
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where you are coming from, Ole, but my real question is not so intellectual.

Of course, anyone living in the past would have trouble fitting in or finding the same exact life track of opportunities that led them to success. I'm talking that if Mendez was here today, age 20 (let's say), played as great as he did, and was as hip as any modern person.....how would he stack up or be able to develop his solo career in the face of today's competition for solo appearances?

Kinda like J. S. Bach......if he (or Mozart) lived today and was composing in today's styles, how would he compare to Bartok, Shostakovich, Stravinski, etc.? I don't know, maybe it's just to dumb to contemplate.

D. H.
WAKeele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Mendez would have a good hold on the solo and clinic industry. Might be a band leader for "The Tonight Show" or something like that and probably have his fare share of CD out. He'd be on top!
Handguard once believed to be used by Arban
$10,000 Stoneline mute bought on eBay
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the great cornet soloist came on the scene in the late 1800, they travelled around and played for a lot of people. But before the grammophone non of them would reach out to all parts of the world. Here in Norway no one in 1890 would know about Herbert Clarke.

For that we needed mass communications.

In 1949 there was radio, TV was comming, there was a big record industry. In the late 1950 the LP arrived. In the 1960 great players like Mendez in USA, Andre in France and Dokshizer in Soviet had the opportunity to record a lot of music for trumpet. That was a new thing thanks to the invention of the LP.

I have heard that it was Andre's wife that helped Maurice realise that he should pursue a soloist career. He was content with getting a good job in an orchestra.

What if Mendez had kept his job with MGM? Perhaps he would not have become the great trumpet star?

Ok, now I'm using the "what if" on the past, like some historians do. (Sorry, Dave, you want to "move" Mendez into this century, but we can also play with a lot of "what if's" when he lived)

Mendez was more like good old Herbert L. Clarke a composer/performer, so if we look at a man like him on today's scene we should take that into account.

Also what is the soloist scene like today (compared to 1950 - 1960)?

Andre is a performer (not a composer - he had Jean Thilde & Co help him find music).

Ole
trumpetmba

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Did Mendez Solo With Any Major Symphony Orchestras? Reply with quote

John Ware told me that in the forties, the New York Philharmonic had a "Pops" orchestra similar to the Boston Pops with a similar setup. When Mendez came to New York to play with the orchestra, he was very upset to find out it was going to be with the "Pops" group and not the full Philharmonic. It seems he had passed over some more lucrative engagements for the prestige of playing with the Philharmonic. I don't know everything he played on the concert but I remember John telling me he played the Clarke "Carnival of Venice" and on the final variation played with the trumpet turned upside down and used only one finger on the valves.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very possible.

If you look through the photos section in the Mendez Library website, there is a photo of him dressed in tails and posing like he's playing with his bell very high in front of the sidewalk billboard of Carnegie Hall. The big poster says his name.

I wonder if that is the concert?

----------------
new edit for above:

I revisited that photo just now. It's under "other" in the photos section.

It appears that it was a Latin pops concert, surely not with the NYP.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere where he was a soloist with the Chicago Symphony in 1933. He would have then played with Elden Benge because Benge was principal at that time.

Ir Mendez were just starting out today, he would still be at the top of the heap. More competition, to be sure, but he did things 60 years ago that only a few can attempt today. I believe he was the greatest of the greats.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gig in Chicago must have been in 1934. There was a world fair in Chicago in 34 and as already mentioned in this forum, Mendez saw a Hindu snake charmer at the fair. This inspired him to develop circular breathing.

I have read that he also at that time accepted solo engagement with CSO. (I guess this came first and made him travel to Chicago. Then, while having this engagement he got to visit the fair?)

It would be interesting to know what type of solos he played with CSO. Perhaps someone in Chicago can find out?

Ole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: