• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Doc: Trumpet Spectacular!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard this cd that Doc recorded @ 1990 with the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra? It's phenomenal! He plays with such flare and excitement (not to mention tone, range, technique and musicianship). When you listen to this cd along with some of his Tonight Show stuff, you hear quite a remarkable musician with great versatility. Without question Doc is one of the all time greats!
outrmpt

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely! Trumpet Spectacular is one my teacher recommends to everyone.
It's always inspiring to listen to Doc...

[ This Message was edited by: outrmpt on 2002-05-25 21:44 ]
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Doc was guest director and conductor of our Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra in the 80's and 90's, I was present for some astonishing as well as memorable concerts! He is indeed a phenomenal player with a tone alone that has to be heard live! One memorable concert was one with Doc, Tyzik and Vinzutti.

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I would ask my old middle school trumpet teacher a question about tone he would tell me "Go listen to some Doc Servirinson recordings" and I did. His tone is so beutiful probably the best all around tone that anyone has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - this is a great cd. This whole cd is a good opportunity to hear Doc play classical music very well. I love the Carmen Fantsay - Doc deomnstartes amazing power, style, and confidence on this piece. The french horn section on this track might alone make the cd worth its price!

I do have to admit a slightly negative opinion on Doc's choice of style for Carnival Of Venice - he seems to be a bit too "flashy" for my taste...but that's Doc. I prefer Wynton's recording of Arban's Carnival of Venice.

Mike Trzesniak
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this cd. Doc is an amazing player. I would love to get my hands on the transcripts Doc used - or copies. Anyone know how to do this.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-29 16:11, Blue Devil wrote:
I agree - this is a great cd. This whole cd is a good opportunity to hear Doc play classical music very well. I love the Carmen Fantsay - Doc deomnstartes amazing power, style, and confidence on this piece. The french horn section on this track might alone make the cd worth its price!

I do have to admit a slightly negative opinion on Doc's choice of style for Carnival Of Venice - he seems to be a bit too "flashy" for my taste...but that's Doc. I prefer Wynton's recording of Arban's Carnival of Venice.

Mike Trzesniak

I think that he was playing the Herbert L. Clarke arrangement of Carnival of Venice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Trjeam - the Carnival of Venice that Doc does is definitely the Clarke version. I guess what I was getting at is that I like what Wynton did with the Arban version more than what Doc did with the Clarke version.

This is really splitting hairs though, because obviously both Doc and Wynton's recordings are both great.

Mike Trzesniak

[ This Message was edited by: Blue Devil on 2002-06-20 01:24 ]
Bill Hicks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc is playing the Del Staiger's version of Carnival Of Venice.

American Music Theatre 1998-present
Big Band Nostalgia 1990-present
http://www.bigbandnostalgia.com

[ This Message was edited by: Bill Hicks on 2002-06-20 22:00 ]
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the "Trumpet Spectacular" CD is a great showcase for Doc's talents.

Another Telarc CD made in 1992 is "Unforgettably Doc"- 'Music of Love and Romance' with the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. This is more in ballad style but Doc's playing is absolutely gorgeous.

Another CD I like is "Brass, Ivory and Strings" with Henry Mancini and Orchestra.

This again is more in ballad style/Easy Listening showing off Doc's wonderful sound.

Although I also enjoy his recordings with the Tonight Show Band, I find myself returning to these two more frequently.

Andrew Tomlinson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: