• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting Pissed Off...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Getting Pissed Off... Reply with quote

_-_-_

Last edited by scarface on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took you months? I was PO'd after only a day or two, as I ralized just how far I had to go to get where I'd been.

The good news is that, after a few years, I think I'm better than I ever was back when I was actually gigging for dough and playing in the HS and college band. Could be I just forgot... Senility can be good...

Toodles - Don

p.s. Best thing I ever did for my comeback (as if) was get a good teacher. Worst was to wait 6 months, after all my bad habits had been re-ingrained.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that playing the trumpet can provide the "opportunity" to be frustrated a good bit of the time if you allow that to happen. For me, it's a matter of being aware of my expectations.

I find myself feeling that way a little bit frequently about the trumpet, but it is not an overwhelming feeling. I do not struggle with it to any great degree. To some extent, I feel that being a little dissatisfied with my playing at times goes with the territory, so to speak.

I have learned to accept whatever my limitations are, and do the best I can.

If I were trying to be a professional, or make my living at trumpet playing, I'd be much more dissatisfied. But, as purely a "recreational" player, I can accept my shortcomings and take them in stride. I have enough desire to want to play well to practice and work at it, but I don't get too discouraged. I did not "comeback" for that reason; thus, I'm not trying to live up to some kind of unfulfilled expectations. I can accept whatever the day brings forth - and some days definitely are different than others, but I think my overall consistency is better than in the past. If it isn't going well, I can just put it down and forget it for the day. That is what I like about being a hobbyist.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Dave, I think after 18 mos or so on the comeback trail I am "comfortable" with my playing. Scarface, that's not to say I don't sometimes grumble at myself after botching a phrase or clamming a note (my wife loves walking into the room at such times!)

I believe I'm past where I ever was in high school, especially in terms of musicianship. I play occasionally with a church orchestra and now feel enough a part of that group that I can communicate freely with the director about what he can and cannot expect out of me. Now that the orchestra is on their summer break, I've had a great time just doodling and listening to myself as well as doing a lot of soft playing and working on continuing to build my stamina and range.

Now all I need to do is work out the budgets (time and money) and follow Don's advice and take some lessons in order to move to the "next level."
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 20 months into a comeback after a 13 year layoff, less some time I took off last year for a bit of heart surgery. I believe I'm better now than I was in high school or college, as I'm working more on fundamentals now than I was then. I still haven't gotten the confidence I had in the '80s, but it's getting a lot better. One of the best things I did to help myself was to join this Forum. I have learned more about playing the trumpet from the members here than I ever did when I was playing earlier. So, for all you folks that have sent good advice my way, thanks a lot. I've recommended you to several other players I know that were unaware of your existance.
Murph

1977 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
mouthpieces
Shilke 12B4, Shilke 12A4A, Shilke 13C4 , Bach 3C

[ This Message was edited by: murph66 on 2004-07-25 17:26 ]
ComposeAl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I too am on the comeback trail. I've essentially not played for four years being busy on my day gig. I teach full-time now and it was too busy to keep it up.

I was recently diagnosed with asthma and the doc thought bringing back the trumpet would be good for my lungs.

The real help to my progress came in a very strange way. My wife and I live in the LA area. Last week we went on vacation to San Diego. I was thinking of getting an easier playing horn to help my progress and began searching online for the newest and best stuff to give me a little hand. I've played a few Monettes that I thought were quite good but way out of my price range.

Then I found a small trumpet designer who lives in Oceanside near San Diego. You may have heard of him, Flip Oakes and the Wild Thing trumpet. I thought, what a wild name for a trumpet. Flip's website featured some very compelling testimonials even from some players who I know. I called Flip and we took a couple of hours to go and try out his horn. I already knew they were very large bore horns and that's what I was trying to get away from. Low and behold, I played three notes on a silver WT. It is the most centered, easiest blowing horn I've ever encountered. I tried both the gold and then the laquer. My wife who is a professional flutist was blown away. I've only been on the comeback for about two and half weeks and she said that I'm producing the best sound that is consistent throughout the registers than she's ever heard from me. I bought the laquer WT on the spot. This guy is a genius.

Anyway, a great horn will make your comeback much easier. It's certainly helping mine. Flip's WT is easily the best horn I've ever played. What a sound and what an easy blow. I just noticed his ad on this site. His website is http://www.flipoakes.com/. Check him out. His horns aren't cheap, but they're not outrageous either.

Al
ROGERIO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Comeback Trail Reply with quote

Great thread and very informative guys, thanks.

It has been 12+ years for me. I've picked it up for weddings during that time, but it was like "okay, how much gas do I need in the tank to get through the Trumpet Voluntary..."

You guys talked about getting "pissed-off" and that is such a hurdle for me. I can't tell you how many times I have started playing to only put it away after a few notes of the Hummel or Haydn. What makes it worse is to have a loving spouse ask, "why did you stop, it sounded so good". Right, sure... for a first year student!!

Recently, I received an e-mail from an old college friend. She was dissapointed to hear I wasn't playing anymore. I had played in two of her voice recitals (Scarlatti, Bach and Handel). Her kind words motivated me to get practicing again. It was nice to hear that I didn't always sound this bad.

Where to start????? I tried remembering what I did with new students... so I took out Arban and relentlessly went through the first studies. Very depressing to try to get a nice clear sound... it's the little things that kill me. All fundementals... I don't smoke (never did) but felt like all my breaths were shallow and could barely get through even small phrases.

Please share in some of the exercises you guys did to get things going again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: