• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: DB Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-21 14:49, dbacon wrote:
Get these recordings of Miles with Trane and Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones. Spend time with them, listen to the beautiful Jazz lines Miles et.al. give us from 1956. You can hear an awful lot just by listening!

Dave Bacon

Yeah, I agree that these are some fantastic examples of Miles' work. It blew me away a few weeks ago when a discussion came up on TH regarding Miles' playing and so many negatives rolled in. One prominent player (hint, he's from San Francisco and sells his stuff on mp3.com) saying that he thought Miles was boring. Hmmm!
Larry Smithee
Larry Smithee
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 18:32 ]
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is some wonderful music. I bought the set a couple of weeks ago and didnīt listen to anything else for days. You just canīt have enough Miles Davis recordings.

Martin
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of, if not my FAVORITE
Miles bands! I think Red is one of the unsung heros of piano! Philly ALWAYS knocks me out on brushes!!! WHAT A BAND!!!!
TJH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Cookin', Relaxin' and Workin' many years ago at Tower Records in Manhattan. I have yet to find Steamin'.... it has been on my wish list for the last thirteen years, literally from the time I stopped playing the trumpet to my recent comeback. Nowadays I wait for a compact disc to show up in the bins of a used CD shop. One time I did catch a copy of Steamin' in a one shop, but I passed up it up for a classical recording by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert. Aarrgh! The Pinnock was OK; I don't regret buying it, but I do regret passing up Steamin'. It's going to be a while before I run into a copy of that disc in a used CD shop.

It's hard to believe that Davis' quintet managed to record 4 albums worth of high quality material. I personally consider those records (I'm going to assume Steamin' is every bit as good as the other three) to be the epitomy of 1950s hard-bop.

I agree with the sentiments that Red Garland was underrated. According to various sources, the guy was the Davis' "librarian" of sorts; he was the guy who kept the group's "book" and I think was responsible for the arrangements of the pop standards the group played while he was there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on those points. I think Garland stuck around with the Prestige label and made a bunch of great recordings as a leader, including a quintet that featured Coltrane on sax and Donald Byrd on trumpet. Then he just sort of disappeared.

[ This Message was edited by: TJH on 2002-06-26 16:33 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: