• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reinventing Myself

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OregonSNOB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reinventing Myself Reply with quote

I started playing the trumpet when I was in 5th grade and continued through high school but stopped once I joined the Navy. It has been over 20 years since I picked up a horn and played. I recently remarried and durning a trip to my mothers for a lunchen, my wife discovered through my mother how much I had enjoyed playing when younger. Also mentioned was the fact that I was nominated twice for the "European Wind Band Tour"which I was unable to attend.

When my birthday rolled around last year, to my surprise, my wife had bought me a brand new trumpet. It has been difficult to pick up and play. With her encouragement though, I have started lessons to get me back up to speed.

My Instructor is very good and encourages me every time we meet. So happens that he goes to the same church we do and knows the band director there very well. My wife's intention was hoping that one day I would play with them, as is my Instructors.

Who knows?? Reinventing oneself can be good for the soul.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

The OregonSNOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the trumpet and welcome to the Trumpet Herald. You'll find a great bunch of people all around who can give you some great advice.

Now, let me say a word about your post: AWESOME!

This is the kind of story I love to hear -- supportive family, you've gotten to lessons right away, you're finding placed to play -- all the right stuff! One of my big regrets when I came back was that I took so long to get some lessons, my teacher has made a huge difference in my playing and (as I've said elsewhere) he always manages to find something good to say about my playing, no matter how much of a challenge I make it for him to do that!

If you haven't already seen it, take a look at this thread, there are some stories there I found to me highly motivating: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13540

Best wishes,

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: