• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Night In Tunisia on a trash can top? I don't think so!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Dizzy's book [To Be Or Not To Bop] the following is addressed in regard to A Night In Tunisia:
"During the break [at a club called Kellys' Stables] I sat down at the piano to improvise some chord changes. Actually, they were thirteenth chords--A thirteenth resolving to D minor. I looked at the notes of the chords as I played the progression and noticed that they formed a melody. All I had to do was write a bridge, put some rhythm to it, after I got away from there, and jotted ti down. The melody had a very Latin, even oriental feeling, the rhythm came out of the bebop style...afterward we played the tune on Fifty-second Street and called it "A Night In Tunisia".
Larry Smithee
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This misconception comes from a quote by Art Blakey on a live Jazz Messengers recording with Clifford Brown. Blakey refers to the composing of "Night in Tunisia" in this manner.
tryingtolivethelife
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Larry,
Would you recomend the book, to be or not to bop? Is it really good? Or is it just like, so, so. I mean I just read the kind of blue biography in like one sitting and I'm gonna start reading it again. I feel the book really helped my understanding of miles and trane, and of course Dizzy is one of my idols, so would you recomend it... and has anybody written a similar book an Cliff? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-26 13:33, tryingtolivethelife wrote:
hey Larry,
Would you recomend the book, to be or not to bop? Is it really good? Or is it just like, so, so. I mean I just read the kind of blue biography in like one sitting and I'm gonna start reading it again. I feel the book really helped my understanding of miles and trane, and of course Dizzy is one of my idols, so would you recomend it... and has anybody written a similar book an Cliff? Thanks

Tryingtolive...,
I HIGHLY recommend the book "To Be Or Not To Bop". The format of this book is very interesting. In much of Dizzy's version of many of numerous events the writer goes and locates the other cat(s) involved and sometimes gets a whole new slant on certain happenings and issues. And we all know these guys, since they're the usual suspects who hung out and played music with Diz. He holds nothing back...it's all about sex, drugs, and rock 'n'...um, bebop. Dizzy's wife of over 40 years left him shortly after this book was published.
Larry Smithee
tryingtolivethelife
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess she couldn't hanle it then huh?? Actually I heard a legend/rumor about her not wanting to see Bird like period. No matter, that may have just been form the movie BIRD, man I've seen that movie too many times. I took the book out from the library and just started it today, thanks a ton... um is there a re-printing... or like a re-issue?? The librarian told me it was out of print, I was actually going to buy it as well.

Thanks So much,
Chuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-29 02:20, tryingtolivethelife wrote:
is there a re-printing... or like a re-issue?? The librarian told me it was out of print, I was actually going to buy it as well.

Thanks So much,
Chuck

Not surprised about the book being out of print. I bought my copy shortly after it first came out. You might need to check some used book sources.
Larry Smithee
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current prices asked on used book sources like http://www.bookfinder.com and http://www.addall.com are surprising high for _To Be or Not To Bop__.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-30 12:46, dales wrote:
The current prices asked on used book sources like http://www.bookfinder.com and http://www.addall.com are surprising high for _To Be or Not To Bop__.

There is always the local library. Should they not have it you might investigate your library's enter-library loan possibilities. That should get you a copy. Belive me it's worth the trouble.
Larry Smithee
I Jazz 24 7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread was actuallly started becuase of me. I think I stated it was composed on top of a garbage can in the recording forum?? I don't remember, but I wasn't trying to spread lies or anything I heard it on a recording so, being the nieve child I am I took it as truth, I guess you can't believe evrything you hear on old recordings. Anyways I apologize for spreading lies and stand before you corrected.

Brad
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-02 18:17, I Jazz 24 7 wrote:
I think this thread was actuallly started becuase of me. Anyways I apologize for spreading lies and stand before you corrected.

Brad

Brad,
Don't worry about it. I've heard this myth on at least one Art Blakey recording myself. Maybe Blakey heard the story himself and believed it true. Fact is it doesn't really matter.
Larry Smithee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: