• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing after having a stroke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Playing after having a stroke Reply with quote

I currently have a student in my studio who is a retired school teacher. He has been playing for about a year and a half and his progress has been very steady. About a month ago he suffered a stroke which caused temporary blindness and loss of memory. Since the stroke the only problem that I've noticed is that he has forgotten the scales that we had previously worked on. Other than that everything seems to be fine.

His Doctors have said that it's ok for him to start playing again. Obviously your average Doctor doesn't know the first thing about what is physically involved with playing the trumpet so naturally I'm a little concerned.

Does anybody out there have any experience with this matter?

Thanks
Andy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing hard everyday for about 10 weeks now following a heart attack. I Will say that it took me a while to get going, and that I was scared to death. I'd tell your student to take his time and "do what the horn tells you to do". There were many days that I wanted to pick up the horn, but my body had different ideas.

Mentally playing has been a great part of my recovery. It gives me an outlet if you understand what I mean. Good luck to you, and prayers from me to your student!
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
akto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you prayers bandman. Good luck with your progress.

My student is doing fine right now. He's gotten back on track rather quickly. I just hope there aren't any long term consequences.

Mental playing is great. No bad chop days.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: