• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpets with Sax Mouthpieces!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horatio Hornblower
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Trumpets with Sax Mouthpieces! Reply with quote

I got an message though TH ,from a man whose daughter is interested in experimenting with a trumpet of FLugel, using a sax mouthpiece. I know that Rashaan Roland Kirk used to play what he called a Trumpaphone..a trumpet with a saxophone mouthpiece. But I never heard him play it. Has anyone ever had any experience with this concept..either as a player or listener? What do you think about it?
GMacDaddyTPO
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sax playing friend and I were messing around once and he put his saz mouthpiece on my reciever. It was pretty funny sounding.

Don't got much more...
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness ... I wouldn't have believed it unless I would have seen it with my own eyes ... will you look at this?!?!?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41398&item=3762434064&rd=1

That has to be funky!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it would work, but wouldnt you only be able to play like 7 notes since theres no register key on a trumpet?(I wish there was)
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Harris had the patent on the reed trumpet mouthpiece. The
mouthpiece itself is about half the width of a soprano sax mouthpiece,
and is mounted on a trumpet backbore. A photo of it can be seen on the cover of his album "Free Speech". On the cover of "Live at Newport",
He has it mounted on a Getzen four valve flugel.

BG
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that this topic should come up. I bid $212.00 on the reed mthpce for trumpet on eBay, but as you can see it it went for $387.

So. I thought I'd make one myself. I bought a Warburton #10* backbore, and a 4mv rim, a Rico Royal soprano sax mthpce, and a Vandoren ligature and cap. Plus a box of reeds. I had a machinest turn down the rim so it would fit inside of the sax mthpce with enough clearance for cork, and then I visited my buddy Scott at the horn shop and had him put a piece of cork on it. All together I have $135. in it.

Imagine my excitement as I prepared to play it the first time! Soaking the reed and the ritual of mounting it to the mthpce....

It plays seven notes, and some really wild squeals when I bite the reed. People in front of the horn wince when I bite the reed! Kinda fun, but apparently useless as it is now.

Scott says to bring it in and we will experiment with moulding silly putty inside of the mthpce to make a channel.... who knows???? jbqd
Tl2uMp3t_Er
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually used my brother's TENOR Sax mp and his clarinet mp and actually it sounded great! It had a little bit of tone of each saxophone and trumpet. Bad thing was, you can only play 8 different notes with it, no matter how much wind you blew into it.

Horns:
V. Bach Stradivarious 180s-37
Mouthpieces:
Bach 3C
Bach 7C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: