• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Two Kinds of Chords...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Two Kinds of Chords... Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erin C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting point of view... but what about chords that don't fit the description either "V7" or "I"? I'm not trying to shoot down your statement, because it's certainly interesting, I'm simply a curious trumpeter who needs to learn to improvise better ... thanks.

Erin -iii<
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that he was just using the V7 and I as examples, since in regular tertian harmony, those would be the 'ultimate' go from or go to chords.

I think what he meant is strictly that there are 2 kinds of chords, chords you go to, and chords you move from.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Does this next statement on how I think fit in with what you're saying?

You get yourself out on a limb and then get yourself back in.

Or-- those chords that leave you with that unfinished feeling and then you resolve it.

And then you feel better and go, "Ahhh, yeah."

mm
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Improvising.

Today I stopped out at Bob Reeves to buy a bottle of their special H2oil. I was just about out.

And try out a V-Raptor. I only played it for a minute in the lobby.

I didn't want to interrupt a lesson going on in the practice room.

I heard some tasty 16th note licks and then Howie Shears' voice, "Now what kind of dominant chord would you choose to play here?"

Musical improv and the desire to improve is alive and well in the world.

mm
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 17:31 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be easy to demonstrate if I could get you all to gather around a piano with me. I fear it will lose something in the translation to the net.

There are a lot of different ways to approach jazz harmony in improvisation. Some players change scales with every chord regardless of the chord's function (for the most part this is how Bill Evans played-for one example).

Some others tend to simply generalize all the chords into just a few key areas (generally this is how Lester Young and Dexter Gordon played).

Of course there are many others (most others?) that tend to combine the two approaches and/or blend them (Charlie Parker for example).

If you look at the way David Baker or Barry Harris teach the language of bebop you will find that Dave is right on. 95% of the time you are thinking of a chord as either a dominant or a tonic. The tonic can be major (in a major key) or minor (in a minor key). The way you approach the dominant areas depends on the quality of the tonic target.

Other chords are generalized and approached like the chord sound they most resemble...especially if they are followed by that chord. ii- chords & IV chords are treated like the V7 chord they usually travel with. iii- chords and vi- chords are often treated like the tonic. viidim7 and vii-7b5 are treated like first inversion V7 chords, etc.

I first figured some of this out by observing how Horace Silver, Jackie McLean, Sonny Stitt, et al would play a whole-tone scale or a diminished scale over the ii- chord in a ii- V7 I. Those scales aren't supposed to fit a minor 7th chord according to most chord/scale theory books, BUT THEY DO!! You simply treat the ii- chord as if you are already on the V7 chord and start playing the appropriate whole-tone or diminished scale. In the key of C that means that you play the G whole-tone scale over the D-7 AND the G7 before resolving to the sound of the CMaj7.

I know this is more theory than Dave probably wanted on this thread, but if you understand what I'm saying then you'll know he is right on!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-07-16 10:24 ]
Erin C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

Erin -iii<
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: