• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Directing a Jazz Band

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funkymonkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone.. I was juss wondering about something

If a trumpet player had a direct a high school jazz band, how would they go about doing that? For example, I'm the lead trumpet and I direct my high school jazz band. The setup I have now for the band is.. saxes on first row, trombones second row, and trumpets standing at the back.. If I have to direct a piece, I keep going back and forth..

Are there any suggestions to make this more efficient? And also any tips on how to direct as you play?

Thanks
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know how anyone else would do it, but I think the standard setup for a big band is saxes front row, bones second row, trumpets standing in the back with the rhythm section to the right as you are standing in the band. I've seen it set up where the base bone and barri sax are at the opposite side of where the rhythm section is set up, but I've also played in a band where barri sax and base bone are right next to the rhythm section and that seemed to work better.

As for directing, do you mean actually conducting like a conductor, or just wanting to know where to stand? I think that it works best that unless you actually need to conduct ritards and accelerandos, just start the band and get out of the way. Other than that, you could stand at the front corner, opposite of where the rhythm section is set up.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume that by "directing" the jazz band you mean, basically "running the rehearsal". One idea (not new) that often works for rehearsal purposes is to set the band up in a large square, with the rhythm section on one side and the other sections occupying the other three sides of the square, leaving you (the leader) in the middle. Some advantages of this includes the fact that you won't be running back and forth from the front of the band to the trumpet section, and the band members can more clearly hear each other and become comfortable with learning what's happening within each of sections parts. Of course, once the band becomes comfortable with the charts you will want to rehearse and set the sections in the normal manner so that everyone can experience that as well, since ultimately that will be the way the band will perform in public. There are, of course other ways of setting up the band, besides the 3 horn lines and rhythm on the left side. This issue might be partly dictated by necessity and space availability.
Larry Smithee
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky,

I would go with what Larry said. Playing with the horns facing one another is a great way to rehearse a band. It lets the brass hear what the saxes are playing. However, as you get closer to a performance, use the traditional setup as described in the other posts so that you can have someone get in front of the band and listen for balance. I would just count off the tunes from the back and have the lead alto do the cut offs, fermatas, etc.. If you have ritards or accellerandos, the lead alto can ususally nod the band through that as well.

Steve
The General
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The group that I direct, and play Lead Trumpet in, rehearses in the "box" that Larry describes. I set the tempo, count it off, and away we go. The drummer does his "thing" around the drums, at the end of every tune, so the cut-off is "audio". That works well for us, and that's how we rehearse.

I agree that the three rows - Saxes in front, Bones behind them, and Trumpets standing in the back row, Rhythm section to the right, is best for performing.

Playing Lead, and standing on the end of the section doesn't tend to work that well for the ensemble, for performances. Placing the Lead Alto in the center of the Saxes, with the Lead Trombone, and Lead Trumpet behind each other, usually the second in from the left, facing front, helps the blend better, in my opinion. The Bari Sax, Bass Bone, and 4th Trumpet players are nearer the Rhythm section.

Just my two-cents. Hope it helps!

... "Dedicated to the Comeback Trumpet Player"

[ This Message was edited by: The General on 2002-07-18 01:05 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: