• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Young Man with a Horn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought MCFB about ten years ago after a collegue of mine recommended it but didn't really know quite how to use it at the time. It was only recently when I discovered this site that I was able to understand how it works and when to play it. I'm now playing Caruso after my (Stamp) warm up as suggested by a couple of you on this forum and using the seven week routine (also prescribed here) with pleasing results so far.

One problem I have noticed however, is that when I am playing towards the top of my range say, for example in the regular 2nds, my embouchure becomes quite mishapen and air leaks from one of the corners of my mouth. My embouchure is fine usually and this only happens when playing in the Caruso manner. I am aware that I may be applying more pressure than usual and I am making sure to complete the particular interval but this does not feel quite right. Can you help?

My range on the trumpet is about a G above high C. When I play the 2nds, I can usually get up to a D on the first time and then maybe an F after the 15 seconds off. Is this natural that I can't hit my highest note on the trumpet during Caruso?

Cheers

Young Man with a Horn
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YM: I'm now playing Caruso after my (Stamp) warm up as suggested by a couple of you on this forum and using the seven week routine (also prescribed here) with pleasing results so far.

CR: I would suggest doing Caruso first thing, and use it as a warm up. But if you're comfortable with your present schedule then stick with it.

YM: One problem I have noticed however, is that when I am playing towards the top of my range say, for example in the regular 2nds, my embouchure becomes quite mishapen and air leaks from one of the corners of my mouth. My embouchure is fine usually and this only happens when playing in the Caruso manner.

CR: This is very common and normal. Don't worry about it, just keep doing what you're doing.

YM: I am aware that I may be applying more pressure than usual and I am making sure to complete the particular interval but this does not feel quite right.

CR: Use all the pressure you want. That is also normal with the Caruso calisthenics. It is ingenious that Caruso discovered a way to reduce pressure by using all that you want, because that is what will eventually happen. By continuing to use all the pressure you want (while doing Caruso calisthenics) your chops will find a way to not use it, and in your regular playing the pressure will eventually start to come off. You just let it happen on its own.

YM: Is this natural that I can't hit my highest note on the trumpet during Caruso?

CR: It is more than natural, it is practically a foregone conclusion.

Sounds like you're doing well. Glad that the Caruso Forum is a help.

Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: