• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

good audition material.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have auditions for college coming up. Most of the schools I am looking into say "play prepared music in a technical area and a legato, expressive style. Orchestral excerps or solos/concertos work well."

What are some good audition pieces/excerps?
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hummel and Haydn are both very good. Any standard concerto or sonata would probably work well: Hindemith, Kennan, Halsey Stevens, etc. As far as excerpts, I'm not really sure. I imagine the ballerina solo from Petrouchka would be good for a technical passage. Mahler 5 and Pictures at an Exhibition would also probably work well for you. Good luck! Hope this helps some.

matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing you have to worry about when you get into standards such as the Hummel and Haydn is the familiarity of the pieces. Those are the old war horses that every trumpet professor in the country can play from memory. That can work against you especially if the trumpet judge is one of the old school guys. Also, chances are many of the other trumpet players auditioning are going to play those pieces also. Try picking something different that the judge will remember that won't get lost among the many Hummels and Haydns of the day.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, i too have had auditions down her in Texas and I found that the best solo for auditions that carries everything is the Arutunian concerto, along with this i did some etudes from the Brandt book and some exerpts from pines of rome and firebird, just somethin for thought
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am just a high school player, but if you think you can play this and do well, than the "Carnival of Vienice" (sp?) in the Arban's book is always impressive and it has a little of everything.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
ladynutmeg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-28 22:52, ejaime23 wrote:
...I found that the best solo for auditions that carries everything is the Arutunian concerto...

We had this peice as an audition for our all state band/orchestra, and it was insane- not many people could play it! Granted this is at a high school level, not a college one, but if you can play it, you'll blow the judges away.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reccomend the Arutunian. It can't be beat.
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-03 16:48, vivace wrote:
Hello,
I have auditions for college coming up. Most of the schools I am looking into say "play prepared music in a technical area and a legato, expressive style. Orchestral excerps or solos/concertos work well."
What are some good audition pieces/excerps?

Hello Mat
Whatever you play, play it well. I used to teach at a university some years back and can remember a potential student coming in and playing Napoli in a "near but no cigar" sort of way. Sadly all I learned was what he couldn't do, not what he could. I suspected he could do a lot well from what and how he played, but he didn't SHOW me what he could do, merely what he couldn't, (and I didn't need to back a suspicion as others came in nailing their stuff).
As to repertoire, if you can double cleanly with valves then something like the Flor Peeters Sonata (3rd mvt in particular) is good. For something slower the 2nd mvt of the Haydn is always popular or something like the Hunsberger arrangement of "Believe Me If etc" that Wynton recorded.
Hope this helps.
Brian Jones
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my pet peeves is every time a younger player asks for advice on rep, everyone chimes in with the most difficult literature written for the instrument. Unless you are amazing, the Haydn and Hummel do not sound good on B flat trumpet. The Arutunian should be played at your Senior recital in college, not high school. I'm sure many younger players can play the notes in these pieces, but making music should be the goal, not technique or range. I would much rather hear any player play something easier and make music out of it, then listen to someone "survive" a more challenging work. If you want to truly do well in a college audition, be musical. There are hundreds of trumpet jocks that have never won an orchestral audition, many of whom have never figured out that being a musician first is the desired quality being sought by other musicians. Some suggestions for rep include Andante et Allegro by Ropartz. You may also be interested in the Ewazen Sonata, if you are very advanced. You really need to check out the ITG recording of solos by Phil Smith (principal trumpet, N.Y.Philharmonic). It has many outstanding suggestions for what you are looking for.
Good luck.
1B

[ This Message was edited by: 1B on 2002-03-30 11:14 ]
budthorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the Haydn is perfect for a college audition. I think it sounds fine on the Bb, whether you are amazing or not! I played the Haydn just fine on my Bb in high school and I was, and remain now, far from amazing! I think the Hummel is very good as well. One can make LOTS of music on both of these pieces. I would also say that the Arutunian is very playable in high school. I heard a kid last year who just blew it apart! He played it better then I did when I was in college. Whatever you chose, make sure you know it cold. If someone called you at 3AM you should be able to jump out of bed and play your audition material down without thinking. I don't recommend this practice technique, but you get the idea.
impaulm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to prepare for college auditions is to look for what the big dogs ask for:
EASTMAN-Pick the Hummel or Haydn
then the Kennan or Hindemith
and some fun Etudes by Charlier
If you look around, Northwestern, Manhattan, and other schools all ask for the same basic things. If you can feel well prepared for these conservatory standards you can feel confident about your audtion.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-30 11:03, 1B wrote:
One of my pet peeves is every time a younger player asks for advice on rep, everyone chimes in with the most difficult literature written for the instrument. Unless you are amazing, the Haydn and Hummel do not sound good on B flat trumpet. The Arutunian should be played at your Senior recital in college, not high school.

I think the Arutunian is very playable at the high school level. I'm only a sophmore and I'm playing it this year. My judges said that he wished more people would play this in high school. And he preferred mine to his daughters wich he taught to her as a senior. I played the Hummel last year (Freshman year on Bb) and I thought it was easier than the Arutunian.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree that the Haydyn and Hummel are doable in high school. I was not amazing my senior year when i played the Hummel, but it was good enough to get me a significant scholarship. I worked on it on and off for two years, but I would say that any of the standard concertos or sonatas are doable. They require maturity and hard work, but the benefits are well worth the time put in.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nawlinsboundjazz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a current senior in high school from Arkansas and i played the Hummel for solo contest in 10th grade. It is not a hard solo by any means, and also quite easy to make very musical. If you took the initiative to ask about it, i'm sure you can play it. Don't let age get in the way.
sfenick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my undergrad audition, I did the Hummel. I can also tell you that I own several recordings of this piece, and at least three of those recordings are perforned on B-flat trumpet. One is by Emerson Head, who used to teach at the University of Maryland. The second is Timofei Dokschitzer, and the third is Hakan Hardenberger. All are fantastic performances, and prove, IMO, that this piece is performable on B-flat. Now, having said that....I would still do it on E-flat, just as a matter of preference. At any rate, I am preparing for grad auditions.....I am doing the Arutunian and Brandenburg #2 to contrast. I feel this shows my pic ability (as well as ability to perform Baroque literature). The Arutunian shows a lot of technical skill, and demonstrates the ability to perform in a Romantic style (even though it is a 20th century piece). If called upon, I have Charlier #2 prepared to show my ability to play in the French style. I feel with this material I am showing my ability on the horn, as well as some musical knowledge (which should not be ignored in this context).
Thank you,
Steve Fenick
Al Cass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haken's recording of the Hummel was done on a B Flat? Are you sure about that? He recorded it in E major so that would be quite an undertaking. I'm pretty sure he played it on an E trumpet.

Al Cass
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I heard too. E trumpet.
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haken's recording of the hummel is in e but he plays it on a c trumpet.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi
sfenick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could very well be in E......I only have 7 different recordings of this piece, so it is entirely possible (and understandable) that I was mistaken. At any rate, I do know he did NOT do it on an e-flat/e trumpet, it is on a larger trumpet ( I can tell by the way some of the trills came out). At any rate, my original point still stands.......even if Hakan didn't do it on b-flat, the other two DID, and the Hummel is certainly doable on b-flat (even if I would not do it myself).
Steve Fenick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: