• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Knevitt, Mohan, Stevenson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John M.

Great forum. After poking around the Intenet I wondered how much of an online following there was for Mr. Gordon's teachings, besides the claudegordonmusic website. It's nice to see someone unabashedly promoting some solid, proven ideas.

It's also interesting to read that his students have taken the methodology further. But it leaves me with a question: what do you endorse, and are your methodologies compatible with what Mr. Knevitt teaches? I see that you made a suggestion to a fellow Minnesotan concerning a local teacher, but what if one cannot afford a teacher right now? Would the investments in Mr. Knevitt's materials be worthwhile?

Thanks for reading!

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-08-02 10:16 ]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm not in a position to endorse anything of Bill Knevitt's, since I have not myself seen or used any of his material. The descriptions of his material found on his website lead me to believe that he has developed his material through his experience studying with Claude, so I'm pretty certain it's good stuff.

At the same time, I must say that I KNOW that the material written by Claude Gordon himself is GREAT stuff. It worked for me, it worked for countless others, and I'm sure it will continue to as long as people are wise enough to make use of it.

For a person who cannot afford private lessons, I would say that if that person buys "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing", reads it VERY carefully, and then buys and makes use of "Systematic Approach" and the books it requires as supplementary material, that person will become a good solid trumpet player with a strong range and sound.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply John!

So I understand that "Deep Breathing" is more an explanatory book while "Systematic Approach" has the actual lesson plan?

Where does "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing for the trumpet" fit into the scheme?

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-08-05 20:47 ]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-05 20:45, ZeroMan wrote:
Thanks for the reply John!

So I understand that "Deep Breathing" is more an explanatory book while "Systematic Approach" has the actual lesson plan?

Where does "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing for the trumpet" fit into the scheme?

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-08-05 20:47 ]</font>

Yes, "Brass Playing" is all text and "Systematic Approach" has about 10 pages of text at the beginning and then 52 individual lessons complete with assignments of material from Clarke Tech Studies, Characteristic Studies, Arban, Smith, Colin and St Jacome books in a systematically organized method.

"Physical Approach to Brass Playing" is a book for beginning and less advanced players. Once a player has a fairly good High C, he or she is ready to begin "Sysytematic Approach". Otherwise, if that player needs to begin with "Physical Approach" and that player follows the lessons and does them, within 28 weeks, that player will have a GOOD, SOLID High C and be ready to go into "Systematic Approach".

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: