• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

2nd Trumpet NSO passes away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReneHernandez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: 2nd Trumpet NSO passes away Reply with quote

I just wanted to pass on the sad news that David Flowers, Second Trumpet of the National Symphony in Washington, DC passed away late Sunday night, January 28, 2005. Sorry to be the bearer of such sad news.

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to meet him. It is so weird that this happened right when they were just about to find his replacement.

Rene Hernandez
deleted_user_56590f0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rene, I'm so sorry to hear this.

Dave was a wonderful musician, trumpeter, and about as much fun as a person can be.

I'll spend the evening with fabulous memories.

EC
jlb1559

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and

Last edited by jlb1559 on Wed May 23, 2007 12:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
davidk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know when Dave died and when Tom auditioned?
markhyams

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that Tom was playing then. I was first in the 5 pm Sunday prelim group, #97, and Tom played after me, #98. They started the group about five minutes early at 4:55, so Tom went in at about 5:05. If Dave did indeed die at the same time, that will have to be one of the eeriest stories ever.

Mark

Last edited by markhyams on Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew Dave only through meeting him on several occasions. Cool guy. How did he die? He wasn't that old.

Dave Hickman
davidk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was liver failure. He had been sick for some time now and had been out of the NSO since at least the summer with a long term sub filling in.

Wow, that is creepy- what are the odds of that happening?

David
gtftrpt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Dave Flowers Reply with quote

Well, the speculating on the time of death and auditioning is interesting. I was actually with Dave when he passed away, I'm his son Gareth. And just to clarify, the times don't really line up. Close though. Also, if you knew Dave, it would be cool if you could post your favorite story or something. Many thanks.

Gareth
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gareth,

I'm terribly sorry for your loss.
davidk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth, I'm sorry for your loss. I know Dave will be missed around DC.

I met him a few times and went to play for him once. It was a blast. He had quite a few helpful comments and shared some stories. He always came across to me as a no-nonsense-but-nice guy, at least where the trumpet was concerned. I unfortunately didn't know him on a personal level.

David
SinfonianTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth,

So sorry about your dad. I knew his playing very well, and he was a monster player. With the risk of sounding trite, the wonderful thing is that his musicianship lives on in you. Keep your head up kid

CH
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Dave Flowers Reply with quote

My teacher in high school was a friend and colleague of Dave Flowers and always spoke highly of him as a person and as a musician. A dear friend of mine (trombone) also was a colleague many years ago and when the National Symphony was on tour a while back, I made arrangements to meet Mr. Flowers and take him out to dinner. What a wonderful night! Nothing fancy but we spent several hours talking about common friends and I got to hear a great many of his orchestral "war stories". I remember hearing the National Symphony as I was growing up and Dave was in the section then. From everything I have ever heard and my limited personal experience with him, he will be missed greatly.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
(formerly Northern Virginia)
bugleboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about the passing away from my Dad, Fred Irby III(Howard Univ and Nat'l Opera House). I got to meet Mr.Flowers whenI was real young. He always told me to never lose sight of goals as far as playing, and that ANYONE and EVERYONE has an EQUAL oppurtunity to become an excellent musician.

Although I have never meet you Gareth, I have competed against you at the National Tpt Comptetion. You can blow....My prayers go to your family. God Bless
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mikeblutman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm about a year and a half late on this post, but I just saw it today:

During my junior year, U Maryland's orchestra did two side-by-side concerts with NSO musicians performing the two suites from Daphnis and Chloe as the second half. Mr. Flowers played third and I played fourth. We spoke a lot backstage that week and I learned a great deal from sitting next to him. That was the first time I got to sit next to a seasoned orchestra player and think of that week often.

The edition of Daphnis had the third and fourth parts on conjoined systems, layed one on top of the other. Early in the first rehearsal, Mr. Flowers' eye would jump automatically to the bottom system at the start of some lines. When he caught himself, he joked that in almost 40 years in the NSO playing second trumpet, he almost never played the top system when the parts were layed out like that. After the break, he came back with photocopies of the part with the top system of each pair highlighted in bright yellow! Throughout the week, he joked around with everyone backstage telling them that story.

He took a lot of time to tell me stories and reflected on his long career as a trumpeter in a major orchestra. He was a great stand partner that week and I'll always think highly of that experience.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: