• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Up-Beat Tonguing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of you who don't know what up-beat tonguing, it is tonguing the off beat of swinging eigths and sluring into the downbeats. So what I'm asking is when is an appropiate time to use it and not to use it? I use it a lot when I improvise. Is that a good habit?

Thanks
Ben Love

[ This Message was edited by: Jam_Man_Tpt on 2002-08-01 16:03 ]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you listen back to your solo do you say to yourself "that sounds good" or do you think, "there I go using that trick again..." In other words, is it musical?
Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds good to me. But would i ever want to use it when playing in big band???
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvising in a big band? Sure, whatever you feel. It's your ride.

Playing in the section? Not if the lead player ain't. If you're playing lead, then make sure you're communicating.
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-01 16:03, Jam_Man_Tpt wrote:
For all of you who don't know what up-beat tonguing, it is tonguing the off beat of swinging eigths and sluring into the downbeats. So what I'm asking is when is an appropiate time to use it and not to use it? I use it a lot when I improvise. Is that a good habit?

Thanks
Ben Love

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Jam_Man_Tpt on 2002-08-01 16:03 ]</font>

Thats good that you have learned how to do this, now forget it and stop purposly using it, your subconcious will let you use this properly when it feels the time is right in the music.
Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWM,
the reply was a very simple reply, but it is probably the best advice i've ever had. I think that some of my problems in my playing is that I think too much.

Thanks again,
Ben Love
derekph

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this was posted by someone. There's a book out there by John McNeil called The Art of Jazz Trumpet where he talks about articulations in regards to swinging 8th notes. I've been practicing that very thing for about 3 months or so and I've noticed a marked improvement in my 8th note lines; they swing easier. But, I recently had a lesson with a trumpet player who in my opinion swings eighth notes better than a lot of trumpet players. I asked him about this technique and he said that he never heard of it. He was like, "Hmmm. I had never thought of it before. I guess that's sort of what I'm doing." I think that he just tried to emulate recordings over the years and developed this technique without even thinking about it. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I like John McNeil's book. You should check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: