• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maybe a silly question, but what about really bad days?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saelee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I had one of the worst practicing sessions yesterday, and I've had bad days, but not in a while.

Question is, even when you are built up properly, and playing properly, do you have days that are just terrible and what do you do to recover from them?

I can play up to A above High C, but yesterday, even a High C, although not to difficult, just didn't feel right. My sound was also not very good and would fuzz out here and there. VERY BAD DAY to say the least.

Your thoughts as always are appreciated.

Thanks.
davidquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need to take a day or two off?

Every three or four weeks or so, I take a couple of days off playing altogether... just to take a rest, recharge the batteries so to speak

I have found that this has helped in the longer term.

Cheers
gfpstudios

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Severnsen once said, "Playing the trumpet is like wrestling a bear...sometimes the bear wins." I agree totally. There are days when my tone sounds like I am being accompanied by whale song. I clean the horn, check the corks, but no effect. It is just that when you practice consistently, you will have those days. I used to practice 7 days a week. I have cut back to 5 days with a mean practice mute and I have not had the problem since. Advise: if you have a performance and are experiencing this problem, lay off the day before. You should be OK...even great
Keep practicing,
Greg
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised to find that every player - no matter how good or even famous - has an occasional bad day. Each one may see it somewhat differently as to what a "bad" day means - but I think that just about everyone can say they have had some bad days here and there. I don't think it's anything to be too concerned about.
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-06 10:20, saelee wrote:
Hello all,

I had one of the worst practicing sessions yesterday, and I've had bad days, but not in a while.

Question is, even when you are built up properly, and playing properly, do you have days that are just terrible and what do you do to recover from them?

I can play up to A above High C, but yesterday, even a High C, although not to difficult, just didn't feel right. My sound was also not very good and would fuzz out here and there. VERY BAD DAY to say the least.

Your thoughts as always are appreciated.

Thanks.

Everyone has bad days, partly because of what we did the day before and our bodies natural circadian rhythm. One thing you can do to help this, is to realize your having a bad day or are going to have a bad day...I can tell when I get up in the morning how my chops feel and adjust my warm-up to help them out often splitting it up and adding more longtones buzzing and rest in there. Everyone has bad days but there is no exscuse for playing bad on those days...you have to forget how you feel and rely on how you sound and go back to the basic fundamentals and concentrate on them more than you would and you should be fine....one thing that seperates the pros from the amatuers is consistancy... they sound great even if they don't feel great. Hope this helps -Donovan
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think that it happens to everyone. When I have days like that now, I just put the horn away and call it a day because I don't want to either frustrate myself or damage my chops by pushing them too hard to do something that just isn't going to happen.

A month or so ago I had a gig (public performance as opposed to the private gigs that we normally play) where I realized by the middle of the first set that the whole gig was going to be a struggle and I didn't have much fun because I was working my tail off just to make the grade. I really wanted to play well on that gig and I thought I did everything right to prepare for it. I made sure I was hydrated, had gotten something to eat, had gotten enough sleep the night before, hadn't overworked my chops in days prior, etc.

Then, last weekend, I had a really good gig where I was on, my range was there and I didn't chop out before the end of the gig and I did almost nothing "right" in the day or two prior to that one. After more than 20 years playing, I still don't know exactly what combination of things goes into having a good performance. It might just be that there are good days and bad days and you have to learn to accept them as they come. They key, I think, is to be prepared to the point where a bad day is still pretty good.

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2002-08-06 11:19 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 23:17 ]
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you play for a living -it is a different story. Much as you might want to put the horn down - you cant. The audience doesn't care how your chops feel. Same thing with the 2nd or 3rd show/gig/set - you have to make it happen as if you are as fresh as the first. On a heavy gig day, I find it helps if I warm up ahead of time (an hour+) instead of right beforehand. A big key is to stay relaxed. Most times the chops will come around if you don't push it. If I am feeling stiff, I might just back off the volume a bit 'til I loosen up. Sometimes it doesn't - then it isn't fun, and you start thinking of how many easier ways to make a living there might be.
I will just add that a friend of mine who was a long time student of Claude's doesn't EVER sound like he has a bad day. Some days it is more work than others, but he can always do the job ALWAYS. That is one reason I pay attention when he talks about things that Claude told him. one that comes back to me often is just relax,take a big breath and blow - yeah and watch the tongue.

[ This Message was edited by: pair of kings on 2002-08-08 01:07 ]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the Claude Gordon Method was/is that my playing became very consistent when I started studying from Claude's books (about 25 years ago).

I don't have "bad days".

I think that as you get older and finish growing, your consistency improves also. After all, until you're about 20 or more years old, your body (including your mouth) is changing and growing.

Just be patient and don't waste timing seeing "how high you can play", or what you can or cannot do on any given day. Just have self-discipline and practice your daily routine and things will even out for you.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: