• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Your Inspiration?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halfnote

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a tribute to the people who taught us the most and/or inspired us to greatness?

For me there are two - My highschool band director, Mr. Thomas Ives, who taught just as much about life as he did music. His passion and enthusiasm for good music - mainly Jazz - moved many students to dig a little deeper than whatever was on the radio or MTV!

The second, my first trumpet teacher, Mr. David Brubaker. He was(is?) principal trumpet with the Vermont Symphony. He would always bring his horns to the lesson but never once opened the case. He excelled at diagnosing my mechanical problems and had clear, concise remedies that always worked for me. I remember getting huge, uncontrollable smiles on my face during our lessons as the once thought impossible suddenly became effortless!

To both of these men I owe my humble gratitude.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give credit to my 7th - 9th grade band director, Jeff McQuistan.

One day in 7th grade shortly after I had completely bombed the chair placement audition (I was sitting like, 11th or 12th chair out of about 14 7th and 8th graders) I told Mr. McQuistan that I had "forgotten" my beater King Cornet at home because I felt like goofing off in the section. Truth was that the horn was sitting in the boxes/shelves at the back of the room and I got ratted on by an 8th grader about 15 minutes into band class. Needless to say, Mr. McQuistan had me come in after school.

When he asked my why I wasn't playing and why I lied about my horn being at home I told him that I didn't like to play because I wasn't very good. Of course, he made me get out my horn and after actually going through the audition piece he said, "Pat, you can play, you just don't practice!"

From then on I took my horn home and practiced and when the next try out for chair placement came along, I was ready for it. I moved from my lowly position at the end of the row, to 3rd chair behind one 8th grader and another 7th grader. After that point, I was always high up in the chair placements until I was a Sophomore in HS and never moved out of 1st chair.

If not for that one day and those inspirational words from Jeff McQuistan, who knows where I would be because my whole life, my wife, my children, and where I live, are all hinged on the fact that I became a trumpet player and moved from Nebraska to Maryland to be an Army bandsman, none of which would have happened if not for that one day in 7th grade.

Mr. McQuistan, THANK YOU SIR!!!!!!!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dizzy is was and continues to be my inspiration.

I was about 5 or 6, and diligently practicing piano (yeah right!) when my Dad gave me a shout to come check out this guys cheeks! 'This guy might be the best that ever was' is what he told me about the african-clad cheek puffer that was on, you guessed it... THE MUPPET SHOW.

I guess my Dad knows what's up. Not bad for an old banjo hack!
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey QuadC, you better cool it man! Getting close to 1000 posts! I bet TH will have a Y2K-like problem with registering 4 figures on numbers of posts!!!!

JUst rAZZIN' ANd JazZin, aND aLl thaT JazZ! )))))

Hey, it works for the BadBoy!
4Him
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be a great thing to tell these icons what a difference they made in our lives? So many "good people" never know what a difference they have made. I think I have a couple of phone calls to make....

Thanks, Halfnote, for the thread and the inspiration...

Ken
The man that has no music in himself,nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, strategems and spoils; the motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections are dark as Erebus: let no such man be trusted. Shakespeare
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 15:07 ]
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me Doc Severinsen has been an awesome inspiration for me. I never hear him play without the desire to practice more to emulate his style.

If I am having a difficult time focusing on playing I listen to Al Hirt to remind me that playing the trumpet is loads of fun.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a teacher or director that would inspire me.

My biggest inspiration has been my mom.
Then control and mastery of the great Arturo Sandoval. Everytime that I listen to a recording of Arturo it reminds me everyday of why I play the trumpet. When I'm feeling down and feel like giving up I put in the "hot house" cd and i feel refresh and hungry again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my inspiration is this. I played in Branson last year at the schucklebuck theatre something like that?? but anyway, I layed this ballad on flugle and really put all I had into it and after the show poeple mainly girls and trumpet players came up to me crying saying how beautiful my playing was. Knowing that can happen and that doing what I do can have such an influence on the audience is my inspiration. and It could be yours.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 15:08 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teachers were my inspirations. I feel blessed to have had so many great teachers and that I can still call most of them my friends.

Jamey Aebersold (starting when I was 13!), Leon Rapier, David Baker, Bill Adam, John McNeil, Dominic Spera, Carmine Caruso...

That's a heavy and inspiring legacy to live up to. Not only are/were they all great musicians and teachers, they all convey a genuine sense of love and respect to their students and friends.

Most people would feel blessed to have had any one teacher as wonderful as these cats!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-07-04 21:52 ]
zachenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armando Ghitalla. There aren't enough words or hours in the days to do him tribute enough.

Zach
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach-

3 cheers to Ghitalla! He was a very special person to all who knew him, and is deeply missed.

John Urness
derekph

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen Adsit (sp?). I was very close to quitting the trumpet in 9th grade and when I handed him the papers to sign to allow me to drop the class, he stopped me and said that I had a lot of potential. I went on to major in Jazz Studies at WSU and have continued to make improvements as a professional trumpet player and private instructor.
Honorable mention goes to Brian Rood who was a very influential trumpet teacher in highschool whom I unfortunately took for granted. I wish that I had the drive and dedication that I have now, back then. He deserved it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my inspiration is my band director tom mccarthy. i first met him at marching band the summer before my freshman year. one day i heard him playing in his office and it was the most incredible thing i had ever heard and so i started practicing a lot so i could be just like him.
now i get my inspiration from my trumpet teacher, pat harbison, every couple of weeks i go to my lesson and all my troubles from the weeks since our last lesson go out the window and i get a new motivation to practice.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi
doitallman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inspiration to this day is and will continue to be my first trumpet teacher Paul Loxtercamp. No only did he change my terrible mouthpiece placement but he taugh me that trumpet playing isn't just playing loud and high. I figure the only way to show him how much he did is to dedicate my first solo CD to him.
I should give him a call!!
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard Ferguson. I first saw him in concert in 1976. Wow, was I blown away (literally). Up to that time I was playing trumpet and enjoying it. After that concert I went to the next level and became really hooked on trumpets and trumpet playing.
Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 inspirations. The first is my trumpet teacher, Barry Springer. Everything he plays is perfectly in tune even when playing jazz. My second is Pat Harbinson. I love his sound and he says some great stuff on this forum. My third is Jamey Aebersold. They next generation of jazz players are going to owe thier whole career to Jamey. He has helped so many people including me.

Ben Love
Greatest Trumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inspiration is simple. It's the love of music and the admiration I get when people hear me play.

"So live that you can look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell." -Anon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: