• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just got called to play w/ a big band tonight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be reading the solo trumpet book (I think). Any suggestions, thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe you could show up on time and take your trumpet and mutes, and maybe even your flugelhorn. And don't be in a big hurry to leave afterward, either. Getting to know the guys is every bit as important as doing well musically.

Hope you have fun!

Rich
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-20 17:56, BeboppinFool wrote:
Yeah, maybe you could show up on time and take your trumpet and mutes, and maybe even your flugelhorn. And don't be in a big hurry to leave afterward, either. Getting to know the guys is every bit as important as doing well musically.

Hope you have fun!

Rich

It's funny cuz it's true!

One other tip, play what you hear, not what you think they want to hear, as far as when you're blowin. If you play with some heart and soul, that outweighs the odd clam. Believe it, and they will too.
derekph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. That is funny about the mutes. I got a stern talking to in front of a different big band from the leader because I didn't have my straight mute with me. Oops. I haven't forgotten it since. Then again, I haven't used it since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off what the other posters said is straight on. It's always imprtant to remember that when you get called to a gig, how you act can get you more gigs. If you act like an arse then they won't be calling back. I like to visit with the people and be as friendly as possible I have been paid extra for being "nice". Good luck on your gig....
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off what the other posters said is straight on. It's always imprtant to remember that when you get called to a gig, how you act can get you more gigs. If you act like an arse then they won't be calling back. I like to visit with the people and be as friendly as possible I have been paid extra for being "nice". Good luck on your gig....
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've probably already played the gig/rehearsal, but maybe these tips will help next time:

1. warm up before you get there
2. buzz in the car on the way
3. be friendly, but don't be goofy
4. just in case the leader's a neatnik, bring a sports section to drain your horn on
5. put your case and your spare horn where you can see it
6. forget your straight mute, but bring a cup and a harmon without the stem
7. remember you'll play sharp with a mute in
8. take in plenty of air and don't blow out your chops on the first couple of tunes
9. leave some space in your solos
10. afterward, you buy the beer.

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2002-08-20 19:59 ]
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to say bring a pencil!.....I am always amazed at how many people never have one and miss cuts and then are asking to borrow yours.............Anyways how did it go? fill us in
derekph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the gig. It went really well. If anyone is from around Detroit, I highly recommend seeing the Scott Gwinell Orchestra. They play on the east side of Detroit at a place called the Cadieux Cafe every Tues.
Anyway, I got moved to 4th part when I got there cause there was a more capable/experienced guy subbing for one of the other players. This I was fine with; I'm not a burning bebop soloist by any means...yet. I got one solo on an arrangement of Milestones. It was insanely fast, but I think I faired alright. I just relaxed and played what I could.
I've been dying to play in that band for a while so it was nice to get the call. I'll be moving in with the band leader/piano player in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll be able to sit in the section full time in the future.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: