• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Acidic hands, saliva

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who has this?
A. I have no acidic qualites to my body, only to my personality
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
B. I have acidic hands, and have never outgrown it
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
C. I have acidic hands, and it has gone away
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D. I turn the insides of my mouthpieces funny colors
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
E. Both B and D
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
F. Both C and D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

james smock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Acidic hands, saliva Reply with quote

I'm curious about this. I've always had pretty acidic hands, and am curious if I'll every outgrow it.

Please, chime in!
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mouthpieces hate me...so do my leadpipes. I have acidic saliva, I guess. This is easy to remedy though...a clarinet swab cut down to size for the leadpipe, and a good washing of my mouthpiece once or twice a week.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm my horn hates me! i have acidic hands and I wear away at the finish sooo bad! as for my saliva, im not too sure...

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen my horns or mouthpieces ever change colour or get worse in condition while I used them. So I guess I must be acid free.

*KNOCK ON WOOD*
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bubbles in the finish on the bottom of my leadpipe, but my hands don't hold that part, so I doubt it's caused by acid.

If you don't mind me asking (because I have no idea if that's you in your avatar) how old are you?

I guess your chemistry can change throughout life. I had a lot of problems with my teeth a few years ago, they kept getting infections from the inside out. The dentist said it's just chemistry, which he said I would most likely outgrow, which I think I have, judging from the lack of infections. (Thank God! Those toothaches were really killers).

Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My acidy hands will cut through Lacquer like it's butter.
james smock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 27. I've noticed in the last few months that I seem to be drying out.

For instance, I've never used lotion in my life, but now my hands are an ashy mess if I don't.

I read a post a while back about valve guards where someone said that they grew out of the acid hands thing. That's why I'm curious.

Perhaps he'll post here.

James
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saliva is not acidic.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB~that is correct, but what is IN your saliva may be

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wether saliva is "acidic" or not is pretty much irrelavant since alkaline is also corrosive. Actually just moisture left in a leadpipe is a killer. Probably has a little something to do with what the horn/moutpiece/leadpipe are made out of too. As far as the lacquer on the horn...some people will just wear right through it.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie,

Those bubbles in the finish on your lead pipe are small holes coming through from the inside. Much like cavities in your teeth and from the same cause. Your lead pipe needs to be replaced unless there is rot in the rest of your horn. Then you need a new horn.
bilboboone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those bubbles in the finish on your lead pipe are small holes coming through from the inside.

The reason to keep your horn clean. Although Acidic Hands will eat through finish, this only causes cosmetic damage (no big deal IMO). But all that gunk that goes in the horn causes structural damage. It literally corrodes the intrument from the inside out. All that green stuff growing inside your horn is a result of alkalines reacting with the metal in the horn. This can be controled by regular cleaning (running snakes through it and bathing it in warm soapy water). But in the end you have to have your horn chemically cleaned once a year (or 2 depending) to prevent your horn from corroding.

I chem clean mine twice a year, but I have the luxury of being able to do it myself
Boone
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Bonnie,

Those bubbles in the finish on your lead pipe are small holes coming through from the inside. Much like cavities in your teeth and from the same cause. Your lead pipe needs to be replaced unless there is rot in the rest of your horn. Then you need a new horn.

When I first saw them, I thought redrot. I had just read up some on it here. I have talked to my teacher (who sold me the horn) and he said it is a finish problem. I need to add here that I know my this guy pretty well and I have no doubts about his sincerity. He's helped me get another horn whenever I wasn't satisfied with the one I had, and I've spent very little on the horns I've had in the past, and on this horn.

When I talked to a repairman, he said it is redrot, but all of my friends who actually play trumpet say it isn't. Bottom line is that it plays well, and it hasn't advanced any in the past year or so.

Is it going to eventually fall apart?

Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure sounds like pitting in the lead pipe. I clean my lead pipe, tuning crook, and mouthpiece every day. I find if I keep these clean and wash out the rest of the horn once each month, the problem is avoided. Depnding on the quality and condition of the instrument, you need to have the lead pipe replaced.
Comno6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hands don't seem to be acidic.

But I have noticed, that on everymouthpiece I have ever had, the part that sites it the lead pipe corrodes BIG TIME. That is the only thing. What is that? The inside of the mouthpiece doesn't corrode at all. I am not sure what that is.

Chris

If you Practice..... You can get better...

YES I KNOW.. Profound!!
trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe corrosive stuff from you lead pipe gets onto your mouthpiece and is eating away at it?
Rondawg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My saliva is probaly not that acidic. I usually give my mouthpiece a good flushing out and brushing out with a little dawn on the brush and no problems so far. And I usually clean my horns out 1-2 times a month to fight agains corrosion and redrot.

My hands on the other hand are probaly a bit on the acidic side. Considering all my trumpets have been used before I got them(except my strad) I am not that sure that they are acidic though I think they are. But on my TR300 their is spots where I tough the leadpipe and valve casing wear it has worn through. I use valve protectors though when practicing and rehearsing(not performing though) to help to.
You can have oodles of technique, but if you've got no tone, it's not going to be attractive to the person hearing it. Tone comes from the inner ear -- you can't teach it. It comes from deep inside your brain -- and also your heart.
-Phil Smith
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, all. Finish wear is not really an acid-base thing, per se. Everybody's sweat has very similar pH. It's the salt and the water, and the amount that counts. Some folks' hands don't sweat much, and some do. The more sweat and the longer the contact, the more finish loss.
Internal corrosion (redrum, I mean red rot) is from food...Rotten, putrid, foul, stinking, corrupt food.
Jazzy_Mike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem. Nothing of mine ever has had any wear to the acidity of me.

Conn Vintage 1 1BR-SP
Holton ST 308 "Maynard Ferguson"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: