• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A LESSON FROM JOHN MOHAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakepainter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since almost a year ago I have been desperately trying to improve my playing. As a 22 year old, who has played since the age of 8, I was particularly disappointed at my limited range, (up to an inconsistent F above High C ) and poor endurance. A year ago decided to sort it out once and for all.

Since that time when I decided to start having lessons again, I have tried a few different teachers, with poor success. One even told me I had the “Wrong lips” for high notes. ! There were actually times over the last year when I almost gave up!
It wasn’t however until I started to read about the ideas of mainly Claude Gordon about 3 months ago that I really started to make progress. I had NEVER heard of tongue positions before, and I was amazed at what difference they made instantly.

Having read a little about Claude Gordon I decided it was important to find a teacher who could show me how to do the things I was reading about. I seem to be particularly bad at mis-interpreting things from books. Luckily for me John sent me an e-mail after I posted a message looking for a teacher on TPIN.

I wasn’t able to fly from the U.K to Berlin until just before Christmas due to college commitments, but the wait was worth it. John was giving me a Mini crash course, which is about 8 hours of lessons over two days. He also put me up at his house in Berlin. John calls this his Crash Course with Bed and Breakfast.

The mini Crash course covers all aspects of the teachings of Claude Gordon, and is not just a “high note method”. Most of the lesson time was spent by John showing me HOW to practise the various exercises he gave me. This is very important as it really is how you practise the routines that makes the difference. Looking back at the haphazard way I used to practise its not surprising I was having trouble.
Let me just say for anyone that hasn’t heard John playing, he is a great player. I was able to see him perform in The Hunchback of Notredamm whilst I was there and its great to be able to see a teacher perform as it puts it all into context.
He’s also a really nice guy and very easy to have lessons from. Everything is explicitly explained and this is to me what makes the difference.

At the end of the crash course John wrote out some lesson plans for me for the next six months. This gives me a very structured way to practise each day and gradually builds up with intensity. In six months I’ll go back for another lesson...... I can’t wait !!

I have been back from Berlin for about 3 weeks and I feel my playing has improved greatly.

So am I playing Quadruple C’s yet?

The answer of course is no, but my range has slowly extended over the last month to a loud and consistent Ab over High C. Occasionally I can squeak a double C out, but I know now that in time it will come. I feel I have been given the foundations to go anywhere with my playing !

To anyone that is struggling with any aspects of their playing, I strongly recommend a trip to see John in Berlin. I’m sure there are many other worthy techniques that work for other people, but I have tried many, any for me at least this is making a BIG difference.

Cheers John !!

Jake Painter, Manchester UK

[ This Message was edited by: jakepainter on 2002-01-10 08:21 ]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Jake!

Thanks for posting such a nice letter about your time here and your crash course. I'm glad you feel you benefited from it as much as I think I did from my first Crash Course with Claude (so many years ago...).

Hit It Hard and Wish It Well!

John Mohan
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

When's your next swing Stateside?

Tnx - Don (ever curious)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure yet. Things are a little uncertain because I might continue with "Emil & the Detectives" when it goes to Hamburg for two months. As it appears, I can commute by rail into Hamburg to play the morning and/or afternoon shows and commute back to play the "Hunchback" shows in the evening in Berlin. If I do that, then I probably won't come into the States until Summer.

There is a chance though that I might come in in February during "Emil's" break.

When I know more, I'll post it.

John Mohan
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow john must be a awsome teacher/performer. I also posted on the tpin that i was looking for a cg teacher and I was suprised by the number of teachers that I found and they werent all that far away from where I live.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to make sure I'm on the waiting list for a "crash course" in the STATES.

John...
We've talked before and correct me if I'm wrong, but you usally do two a year in Chicago?

TTFN
Sean
-iii<0
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-22 16:04, sean007r wrote:
Just want to make sure I'm on the waiting list for a "crash course" in the STATES.

John...
We've talked before and correct me if I'm wrong, but you usally do two a year in Chicago?

TTFN
Sean
-iii<0

I try to get some Crash Course students and also Clinics lined up in the Chicago area, since my Mother and my Grandmother live there. You live in the Chicago area, right?

John
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was back in Chicago!
but I'm close enough for now... 5 hours away.
(_uIII_o__) |
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jake,

Are you still reading the forum? I haven't seen you here in a while.

John
jakepainter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey john ,

still reading from time to time ! we are moving house so i have no computer for a bit.

All is great with the playing ,I am still practising claude's stuff daily, although i have slightly customised it for my own needs.

I have been playing lead with a latin band, (lots of michelle camillo charts !!) we did some gigs over in ireland and it was a real blow, one thing is sure i wouldn't have been able to play these gigs a year ago so i know this stuff is working !

As far as general playing goes my range is slowly increasing. On a normal practise day i find that i can usually blow quite a loud double high C, although my gigging range is really more like a double G, my endurance has definately increased which for me is more important than range as most people that book me don't care about high notes.

I am still playing on my crappy old bach, but am at present too skint to upgrade, i tried a beautifull benge MLP at the ITG conference and managed to blow a loud triple G on it !! so i am currently saving up,

how are things with you john ? , hope all is well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: